ADVISE

squadron14

All this Butt Rubbing has really been a audio exercise in Brain Power.

It doesn't help the OP who made a single post on Sunday and appears

not to have any more interest in this since he fell off the earth.

If you're gonna ask for advice, how about participating while

people offer you help for your problem.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 11:03 AM, Deang said:

When I first came to the forum I used to consistently refer to Klipschorns as "ear bleeders" - having only ever heard them with a Crown DC-300. I still rate that up there with one of the most god awful sounds I've ever heard. 

An amplifier can definitely make or break the sound.

One of the pickiest dealers in the Bay Area back then, also was a big believer in amplifiers having a brand "sound" and making a big difference.  He thought McIntosh was "muddy" and "stringy" (whatever that means).  He was hypercritical, but not burdened with hypervalidity.  He demoed a wide wall of speakers with Klipschorns in the corner, and a Belle third channel in the middle.  That combo sounded (IMO) musch better than the Infinities, Polks, whatever,  that he had between them.  The Khorns had much more "air" and seemed effortless.  On a vinyl disk of dances from Terpsichore, the sound of the serpent seemed to hang in 3D space in front of the soundstage by a few feet.   I could go on.  Guess what all the speakers were powered by?  

A Crown DC300!  I'm not carrying a brief for them, at all.  The best sounding amps I have had were Luxman, McIntosh tube, etc. 

Well, I can certainly vouch for Luxman - both solid state and tube stuff is amazing with Heritage. 

Btw, back in the day, a pair of Dalhquist DQ-10s would stomp all over a pair a Klipschorns with quality solid state in an intimate setting. 

Many back then were using Phase Linear and Crown. The rest of us were using SAE, G.A.S., and Dynaco. 

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Many back then were using Phase Linear and Crown. The rest of us were using SAE, G.A.S., and Dynaco. 

Well, I was using Dynaco, too, during some of that time.  Francis Ford Coppola was using SAE.  Mr. Fussy Pants I referred to in the earlier post said that SAE should be avoided because their circuit board(s) would warp. 

On 6/26/2018 at 9:52 AM, JohnA said:

There was a just audible difference between Class A and Class AB on my Yamaha CA-800.

My experience with the Yamaha CA-800 is exactly like yours.  I do like its sound however and like listening to it from time to time.  I'm anxious to try it with my Forte III's which are due to arrive on Tuesday (and all in one piece I hope). I think most pieces of equipment have "a sound of their own" and that make all of this more interesting. The SX-1250 definitely has a sound of its own.  I am less certain that my new Outlaw has a distinctive sound that I can identify-though I like it as well.  Kind of like kids, I love them all.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:52 AM, JohnA said: