Refurbished 1977 Heresys for sale

longdrive03

NOTE:  ON JULY 10, 2018 I EDITED THE POST TO SHOW THESE ARE 1977 HERESYS AND NOT 1982 HERESYS.

I posted about the refurbishing of these Heresies in technical modifications. I’ll put a link in tomorrow when I have my laptop.

I stripped off the Duratex paint,  cut the front trim edge flush with the motor board,  veneered  the motor board, sides and top as well as the newly installed front trim on the inside and outside with rosewood veneer.

I installed a front to back brace to deaden the back panel resonance  with two screws going into the brace through the back panel. Installed new sonicap capacitors and also a new electrolytic cap on the woofer circuit on the E crossovers.

Also installed new 12 gauge wire to the input and speakers. Installed foam  self adhesive sealant tape on the back. Built a new slanted riser for both cabinets veneered with Rosewood.

The cabinets are very solid now. I also shot new finish nails into the motor board through the sides top and bottom before veneering. I built new grill frames using the old frame  as a template out of 3/16” inch hardboard  and covered with new brown cane grill material. I also installed seven neo magnets under the veneer on the front of the speaker to match the seven magnets on the grill frame so there is no ugly Velcro attachments on the motor board.

I purchased a better set of woofers  to replace the woofers in  the cabinets. One of the woofers  had large spot on woofer cone. I installed new diaphragms in both of the K77 square magnet tweeters. Mid range is the K 52H and woofers are the K 22 – E. All are in good working condition and sound great. I wrapped the veneer so it would be consecutive from one side tothe top and then the other side. I wiped down the rosewood with lacquer thinner to reduce the oil content in the veneer then applies two coats as a stain/sanding sealer and then applied six coats of wipe on poly then did final rubdown  with 0000 steel wool and Minwax finishing wax. The finish is very smooth. I Ialso installed new banana plug  terminals on the back.

These are consecutive numbered speakers as shown in the photographs. I installed plastic sliders on the bottom of the slanted risers for ease of movement.

I covered the woofer frames  with mortite string caulk to reduce vibration. These sound great and need a good home. Price is $725.   

I’m  located in Little Rock. If you’re close by or passing through I’ll be glad to let you look and listen. 

I cant post pics from my phone but will post tomorrow from work laptop. 

Ken

Edited by longdrive03
TO CORRECT WRONG YEAR ON SPEAKERS

That is a very generous price point for that kind of beauty and craftsmanship. What is really impressive is you went through the time and effort to veneer the motorboards even though they will be covered with the grills for most of the time.

• Like 1

Thanks TWK123!   Appreciate the kind words.   

Man we were  just at CS in May.  Incredible weather.  Loved the scenery.  Loved the Broadmoor!!!  My wife and kids (and me) didn't want to leave!!! Drove up Pike's Peak and next day it snowed!!

Sometimes I can't leave well enough alone!  I've got a friend that always hassles me why I put grill frames on.  Hint:  he is single with no kids, cats or dogs.  I know some people like to leave the grill off and listen so thought I would make them pretty.

Correction on the woofer!!!  It they are  K-22-EF woofers

32 minutes ago, longdrive03 said:

Thanks TWK123!   Appreciate the kind words.   

Man we were  just at CS in May.  Incredible weather.  Loved the scenery.  Loved the Broadmoor!!!  My wife and kids (and me) didn't want to leave!!! Drove up Pike's Peak and next day it snowed!!

Sometimes I can't leave well enough alone!  I've got a friend that always hassles me why I put grill frames on.  Hint:  he is single with no kids, cats or dogs.  I know some people like to leave the grill off and listen so thought I would make them pretty.

Correction on the woofer!!!  It they are  K-22-EF woofers

Hey no problem you really deserve credit for these. CS is beautiful, I am extremely happy we chose to move here instead of Denver. I have an idea for the grill frames but Ill put it in your technical thread instead of the sale thread.

Schu, 

First I just realized I erred when I said these are 1982 Hereseys. They are 1977 based on the “R” in the serial numbers.  So they would be Heresy 1 per the info I’ve seen. I bought these from Rockhound and did the refurb.  Sorry for confusion on year.