Old School Beast Returns

richieb

Not much on showing "what I got" but thought some of you old school bike guys might remember these baby's - just brought out of a deep sleep - 

-2002 Kawi ZRX1200R fancied up a bit. She is a blast to ride. Big bore kit, Muzzy full system, advancer, pods - 

She will pull your arms out of their sockets if allowed -- 

Enjoy - 

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Nice looking ride!  Back in the day, they made a 900 2 stroke street bike that was the most dangerous street bike i had ever ridden.  I can't remember the model, but I only ever road it once.

Sure you weren't talking about a 750 2 stroke?  Kawasaki made a 350, 500 and 750 2 stroke street bike back in the early 70's I think.  The 900 was a 4 stroke.  The 750 was a triple I believe.  It's been a while, lol.

OK; here's my old 911 C2 turbo ... web pic but actually pretty close to mine ... had it "souped up" to 650 HP ... even in 5th gear it would spin the wheels on the highway ... jeez; got too old and it really got dangerous ... sold it :( 

Image result for porsche c2 turbo raspberry

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Sure you weren't talking about a 750 2 stroke?  Kawasaki made a 350, 500 and 750 2 stroke street bike back in the early 70's I think.  The 900 was a 4 stroke.  The 750 was a triple I believe.  It's been a while, lol.

You are correct.

The 750 was a three cylinder two-stroke.

The 900 was a four cylinder four-stroke.

Both were a blast to ride and a boon to orthopedic surgeons. 😉

4 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; here's my old 911 C2 turbo ... web pic but actually pretty close to mine ... had it "souped up" to 650 HP ... even in 5th gear it would spin the wheels on the highway ... jeez; got too old and it really got dangerous ... sold it :( 

Souped up?  5th gear?  I smoked my tires in my 81, 928 Auto in EVERY gear!  Ya just never saw it, you know that!  That was back when I was just an average breeding stallion though!  Wish I still had it!   😎

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

You are correct.

The 900 was a four cylinder four-stroke.

Those 2 strokes were wheelie machines especially if you had a passenger.  They'd hit the power band and stand straight up if you weren't careful.

4 hours ago, Emile said:

A Dr buddy of mine had a 930 slant nose.  4 speed manual.  It was a blast to drive but handled like you were driving a sledge hammer.  When the weight shifted in the rear you better hang on and don't even think about lifting throttle in the turns.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

A Dr buddy of mine had a 930 slant nose.  4 speed manual.  It was a blast to drive but handled like you were driving a sledge hammer.  When the weight shifted in the rear you better hang on and don't even think about lifting throttle in the turns.  

That's exactly why I loved my 928...  That supercharged 302 in the nose was fantastic.  Left Indy one year and was headed down to Gatlinburg about 630 after laying over for the nite somewhere...  Cruise set @ 110, hole in the roof open, jammin and enjoyin the beautiful morning...  Came to a cut thru the hills somewhere, hit the curve runnin harder and BOOM there was a Statie who hit me w/radar cause my detector went off...  I didn't know what to do so I waved and smiled at the guy...  I was havin the big one til he smiled and waved back!  I was glued to my mirror and runnin 70 for about the next 20 miles.  I couldn't believe it!  I felt the cuffs and saw the hook for 10 minutes... Not to mention my checkbook...  :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

those 2stroke triples were dangerous quick.  Even the 350. Had to keep a wrench on them all the time. They would shake themselves apart.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
10 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Those 2 strokes were wheelie machines especially if you had a passenger.  They'd hit the power band and stand straight up if you weren't careful.

That Kawasaki 2-stoke triple hit harder than any other street back at the time and had a power band like a light switch, on or off but that's not what made it so dangerous, or at least it wasn't the MOST dangerous aspect of the bike!

The front end geometry was all wrong and if you got it anything close to 90 mph it went into a front end oscillation from which you could NOT recover and over the bars onto your head you would go.

Someone finally came up with a steering damper kit for the forks but I'm not sure they sold any because anybody wanting to live had no interest in riding them at that point.

I owned a H2, along with many many other scooters.

😛

I dont have any pictures I can find from back then of the h2, but I also owned these...

3817785538_21d0bb166c_o.jpg

3817785448_3a3b8dc2f3_o.jpg

3817785492_b2697f985a_o.jpg

7026688065_bb7dafac93_o.jpg

I was also at a place down the street from me... he had these in the shop.

27784443797_f96cc13342_k.jpg

27784444677_bafc7c77d8_k.jpg

41753257785_89aab4eaeb_k.jpg

42602780562_eae0e3bd50_k.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It was a blast to drive but handled like you were driving a sledge hammer.  When the weight shifted in the rear you better hang on and don't even think about lifting throttle in the turns.

Yeah ... they were a blast to drive. Have had them on tracks like Moroso (S. FL) and Sebring.  Not lifting through corers took "big balls: :D 

All the new cars are just too smooth and require almost nothing from the driver :( 

12 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

81, 928

Used to have a '79 928.  Awesome :D Have driven 935's and even a 962 on a S. FL track (Moroso; now called Palm Beach International Raceway). Absolute BLAST!

You must be an OK guy ... Haha  :D  Fast Porsches and Klipsch speakers ... doesn't get any better than that :D  But I admit I no longer have any Porsches :(  as I don't live on "the edge" anymore. Bit older now so driving a Mercedes diesel SUV ... biggest thrill is checking the MPG meter :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Used to have a '79 928.  Awesome :D Have driven 935's and even a 962 on a S. FL track (Moroso; now called Palm Beach International Raceway). Absolute BLAST!

You must be an OK guy ... Haha  :D  Fast Porsches and Klipsch speakers ... doesn't get any better than that :D  But I admit I no longer have any Porsches :(  as I don't live on "the edge" anymore. Bit older now so driving a Mercedes diesel SUV ... biggest thrill is checking the MPG meter :D 

When I sold it about 10 years ago I was really torn...  Artic White w/dark brown leather.  61k...  She was just sitting there everyday begging for attention.  Now, I wish I'd never sold it...  My buddy has a couple loaded Carrera's and is now rebuilding an old Lotus.  They're all fun cars to drive just like the fast women that eyeball you!  hahahaha   

Which brings me to my favorite quote:  "I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.  Out on the edge you can see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center!"  Kurt Vonnegut  😎

• Like 1