Old School Beast Returns

richieb

23 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

They're all fun cars to drive just like the fast women that eyeball you!  hahahaha

The fast cars were good ... only car I regret selling was my 1961 Austin Healey 3000 ... but only car I ever made money on ... sold it for 15X my original cost :D  (OK; actually "broke even" if we consider multiple restorations.)  

Image result for austin healey 3000

Web photo ... very close to "mine" ... ignore the phone number

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

2002 is old school?  Mine is a 2006 and still seems like a "new bike" to me. 

I just spent 3 days in KY riding my "old" 2006 FJR1300.

The old girl rode just like she was a new one.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I was also at a place down the street from me... he had these in the shop.

What???  A road racer that had been piloted by Kenny Roberts?  Wow!!!  One of the all time great American road racers, if not the GOAT.

I wonder who's flat tracker that was?  Roberts never carried the #1 plate for flat track and to my knowledge Yamaha never did either.  I do know if the rider left one team and went to another the #1 plate followed the rider, not the brand.  I wonder if Yamaha hired someone who was a defending #1 flat track rider?

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

What???  A road racer that had been piloted by Kenny Roberts?  Wow!!!  One of the all time great American road racers, if not the GOAT.

I wonder who's flat tracker that was?  Roberts never carried the #1 plate for flat track and to my knowledge Yamaha never did either.  I do know if the rider left one team and went to another the #1 plate followed the rider, not the brand.  I wonder if Yamaha hired someone who was a defending #1 flat track rider?

The AMA number one plate was, for a long while, based upon ALL AMA racing series' grand total of points accrued....and for those years, it was a total of all the points earned for all types of AMA racing events.  Kenny Roberts was OVERALL AMA Number One for a few years....based on his total points from Motocross, road racing and flat-tracking.  It has not been that way for decades but it USED TO BE THAT WAY!  And Yamaha DID Carry the AMA Number one while Roberts was racing flat track on a Yamaha XS-2 650 twin flat-track bike which had 750 jugs on it instead of 650 jugs.  (The XS-2 engine of the 1972-Jan 1973 Yamaha 650 twin still had the oversized valves in the heads, which only required flowing for that performance) Roberts was a factory Yamaha rider at the time...everything he raced was Yamaha back then.

California noise and air pollution laws went into effect on 1 January 1973, and Yamaha did NOT make a "California-only" 650, so all the Yamaha 650 twins MANUFACTURED after 31 December 1972 had to meet those California requirements....smaller intake and exhaust valves were what happened, among other things...The XS-2 Yamaha 650 engine was the final PERFORMANCE upgrade of that engine, which began its history with the 1970 XS-1, then the 1971 XS1B, and starting for the 1972 MODEL year, the XS-2, which remained as the engine for the 1973 model year until the END of the 1972 CALENDER year.  Former 1972 XS-2 owner here.  After the California pollution laws went into effect the performance suffered for it....although other things were better on those machines...especially the frames which were upgraded for the 1973 MODEL year...thicker-walled tubing of larger diameter was part of that model year....with BRONZE swing-arm bushings instead of fiber ones, which REALLY SUCKED!

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Nice bike @richieb......can I ride it?

You've got the bona fides to ride that bike, I sure don't. 

I raced motocross and hare scrambles for ten years but you couldn't pay me enough to get onto one of those things.  What do they rev out to, 12,000, 14,000? 

No thanks.  I have more sense than that.  😎

+++

Those ARE gorgeous bikes, though.  👍

29 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You've got the bona fides to ride that bike, I sure don't. 

I raced motocross and hare scrambles for ten years but you couldn't pay me enough to get onto one of those things.  What do they rev out to, 12,000, 14,000? 

No thanks.  I have more sense than that.  😎

+++

Those ARE gorgeous bikes, though.  👍

My ride first time seeing daylight in 8 years

IMG_20180523_151825.jpg

IMG_20180523_151814.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

My ride first time seeing daylight in 8 years

I know what you mean.  I finally sold my beloved racing bike five years after running my last race.  I just couldn't bear to part with it.

Your Husky has some kind of dual-purpose tires, not true knobbies.  What did you use the bike for?

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I know what you mean.  I finally sold my beloved racing bike five years after running my last race.  I just couldn't bear to part with it.

Your Husky has some kind of dual-purpose tires, not true knobbies.  What did you use the bike for?

Pirelli mt 21 rear , replaced the Michelin enduro comp 111rear  , Michelin enduro comp 111 front

Hare scambles.... I ran in the Atlantic grand prix series.... And commutes

From house to trail...

Have a Rekluse clutch left hand read brake.... 4 gallon ims tank... Jd-racing ignition , 7602 clutch deep cover for rekluse... Dynoed 46hp at rear with factory ignition, and I have cnc fast by ferracci clutch basket not installed...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

Pirelli mt 21 rear , replaced the Michelin enduro comp 111rear  , Michelin enduro comp 111 front

Hare scambles.... I ran in the Atlantic grand prix series.... And commutes

From house to trail...

Have a Rekluse clutch left hand read brake.... 4 gallon ims tank... Jd-racing ignition , 7602 clutch deep cover for rekluse... Dynoed 46hp at rear with factory ignition, and I have cnc fast by ferracci clutch basket not installed...