New Klipschorn AK6 coming out?

avguytx

I searched around here for a few minutes before posting but, if it's already posted here somewhere, I'll delete this thread.  All I saw a little bit ago was a post on Facebook in regards to all new AK6 Klipschorns with "all new drivers and crossovers" with the closed backs.  Any other info on these?  Not that I'd ever pay retail for a pair but it's interesting in that it's got some changes.  Like what new drivers?

Photo shoot?  Who's got some photos?  

https://www.facebook.com/klipschmuseum/?hc_ref=ARTmSm-WAPV6aB7TptbCsxrSO_cpja8-Pkk-Lt-1132CMBU0lnuIH5paz012sxa2VRk&fref=nf

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

All I saw a little bit ago was a post on Facebook in regards to all new AK6 Klipschorns with "all new drivers and crossovers" with the closed backs.  Any other info on these?  Not that I'd ever pay retail for a pair but it's interesting in that it's got some changes.  Like what new drivers?

Photo shoot?  Who's got some photos?  

New Build design which goes together like a puzzle with closed back makes assembly very strong and much more efficient to build.

New Tweeter with Crossover Changes

Removable grills for LF and HF

2" Pedestal/Riser. 

I'll post some pictures of the construction of the pair we heard at the pilgrimage for those interested

miketn

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, boom3 said:

Intriguing. I would hope the mid horn could be enlarged, but since that alters the overall "envelope" of the system, I doubt that's in the cards. Maybe they are considering the A55 driver?

Uhhhh, no.

A closed back would be nice, but I'd be satisfied if they'd just clean up the build aesthetics a bit.  For $15k speakers, the fit/ finish should be a bit nicer than this. I'm referring to wood screws that don't seem precisely symmetrically located, lots of flash and mold marks on the backs of the horns, the bracket supporting the horn being canted to one side, the rubber trim looking different from side to side.  Please understand that I'd still buy them as they are, but like most of you here, I'm a fan-boy.  ..But if Klipsch wants to stay competitive they need to sell to more than just other fan-boys.  They need to sway some of those who will be comparing them side-by-side with Dynaudios, Paradigms, KEFs, Vandersteens, etc.  I'd bet my lunch money they've been hearing this from their dealers too.  Sounding better matters a great deal, but cosmetics matter too.   Yes, the veneered part of the Klipschorn is beautiful, but the rest of the speaker just needs to look nicer, imho.  

1593992096_ScreenShot2018-06-27at7_21_04PM.png.c52ff8e273fd4544093b7fe55f0bc23c.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ODS123 said:

A closed back would be nice, but I'd be satisfied if they'd just clean up the build aesthetics a bit.  For $15k speakers, the fit/ finish should be a bit nicer than this. I'm referring to wood screws that don't seem precisely symmetrically located, lots of flash and mold marks on the backs of the horns, the bracket supporting the horn being canted to one side, the rubber trim looking different from side to side.  Please understand that I'd still buy them as they are, but like most of you here, I'm a fan-boy.  ..But if Klipsch wants to stay competitive they need to sell to more than just other fan-boys.  They need to sway some of those who will be comparing them side-by-side with Dynaudios, Paradigms, KEFs, Vandersteens, etc.  I'd bet my lunch money they've been hearing this from their dealers too.  Sounding better matters a great deal, but cosmetics matter too.   Yes, the veneered part of the Klipschorn is beautiful, but the rest of the speaker just needs to look nicer, imho.  

1593992096_ScreenShot2018-06-27at7_21_04PM.png.c52ff8e273fd4544093b7fe55f0bc23c.png

I would be willing to bet if they incorporate all your improvements, the 15k price point shifts upward too.

I know klipsch gets a few converts from time to time. But most of the buyers of those other high end speakers you mentioned would still turn a blind eye to a pair of klipschorns, no matter how prettied up they were.

Not to mention how hard it is to find a pair of khorns in a dealer show room to even make that comparison. I know, another topic in itself.........

Shakey

16 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I would be willing to bet if they incorporate all your improvements, the 15k price point shifts upward too.

I know klipsch gets a few converts from time to time. But most of the buyers of those other high end speakers you mentioned would still turn a blind eye to a pair of klipschorns, no matter how prettied up they were.

Not to mention how hard it is to find a pair of khorns in a dealer show room to even make that comparison. I know, another topic in itself.........

Shakey

I agree with both of you, but I think Klipsch is concentrating on the esthetics that are visible once the Khorn is in the corner. Other high end brands are plunked in the floor where almost all sides are visible. The P-39 is pretty all over because it will not be jammed into a corner.

I am reminded of Lincolns, Cadillacs and Imperials of the golden era of huge land yachts. There were exposed fasteners all over the interior, and it took Mercedes and its imitators to school the American auto barons how how to make an interior look tailored. 

10 hours ago, boom3 said:

I agree with both of you, but I think Klipsch is concentrating on the esthetics that are visible once the Khorn is in the corner. Other high end brands are plunked in the floor where almost all sides are visible.

While this is true to an extent I still think most people contemplating spending $15K will want to have a look at the whole speaker - front AND back - before buying.   And once they look around the speaker, I'd have to think many potential buyers would be disappointed to see all the things I mentioned.  Let's face it, the current version looks like an amateurish wood-shop project once you get past the veneered part of the speaker.  Again, this wouldn't stop a fan-boy such as I but it would others.  And if we are truly fans of this brand, we should want them to broaden their appeal so as to continue thriving.  

My previous speakers were Paradigm Signature S8 v2s.  ..Even though it was strongly recommended in the manual and all reviews that the grills be left ON (i.e., all measurements - which were absolutely superlative - were taken w/ grills on), the fit/finish under the grill was absolutely gorgeous.   Klipsch needn't go as far a Paradigm, but it's not asking much to expect that all screws are symmetrically located, all end-grain of the ply-wood be fully filled or maybe veneered, and the rubber trim is attached w/ greater care. And looking at the pics of the new iteration, it looks like they've done exactly that.

1 hour ago, boom3 said:

...I think Klipsch is concentrating on the esthetics that are visible once the Khorn is in the corner...

In my opinion Kilpsch absolutely ruined the Klipschorn's aesthetics when they redesigned it and eliminated the inset collar that was the hallmark of the old "B" style. Now there's just an empty space between the bottom of the top hat and the top of the woofer that looks like someone forgot to screw down the top hat all the way on the woofer. The least they could have done would have been to eliminate that space so the friggin' thing doesn't look like someone forgot to finish assembling it. THE dumbest thing Klipsch ever did.

If I ever found myself once again in a home that could accommodate Klipschorns I would look for an older pair of "B" style ones and update them to current standards—I would NEVER buy the ones Klipsch currently sells, they just don't look like Klipschorns any more, never mind looking like a $12,000 pair of speakers.

P.S. I wish I had a nice photo of the B-style K-horns I owned from 1978 to 1992. Bob Moers personally picked out the veneer sheets for the woofer fronts (they reminded one of a Georgia O'Keefe painting, if you get my drift) and he and PWK both autographed the labels. Over the years I re-oiled them with 6 or 7 coats of Casey's TruOil (what Klipsch used at the factory at the time) until the finish really glowed. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

In my opinion Kilpsch absolutely ruined the Klipschorn's aesthetics when they redesigned it and eliminated the inset collar that was the hallmark of the old "B" style. Now there's just an empty space between the bottom of the top hat and the top of the woofer that looks like someone forgot to screw down the top hat all the way on the woofer. The least they could have done would have been to eliminate that space so the friggin' thing doesn't look like someone forgot to finish ***embling it. THE dumbest thing Klipsch ever did.

Funny how taste differs 😀

Klipsch pretty much always offered the “C” style but it didn’t have the gap you mention and usually no kick plate.

While I like the “D” style after having seen several pairs of the newer version with the gap I much prefer it over the old “C” style because of the gap.

It would be very easy to remove or change to a smaller height spacer/feet between the HF and LF of the newer  style klipschorn to eliminate the gap if desired. I also believe it would be pretty easy to add the collar inset of the “D” if someone wanted it.  

miketn 

Here is a 1974 price option list for reference to styles of old.

IMG_1318.thumb.jpg.4b25796cfc295ce9703a2b7967081403.jpgIMG_1319.thumb.jpg.9a7e222747f1e6b10d014d482d521fef.jpg

15 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

I would NEVER buy the ones Klipsch currently sells, they just don't look like Klipschorns any more, never mind looking like a $12,000 pair of speakers.

Hmmm in 1974 klipschorn single walnut oil listed for $1040. 

According to this calculator in 2018 that $1040 is equivalent to $5307 today.

9264E7A4-4528-47D2-AD33-6F2FC43CFEC3.thumb.jpeg.b926f8f896afaee173107ab6a1016e5b.jpeg9264E7A4-4528-47D2-AD33-6F2FC43CFEC3.thumb.jpeg.b926f8f896afaee173107ab6a1016e5b.jpeg

" Yes, the veneered part of the Klipschorn is beautiful, but the rest of the speaker just needs to look nicer, imho."

Hard to argue with that at all. Given modern manufacturing methods there is little or no reason not to have everything the same from pair to pair. It's sad that in the 21st century we need to have numbered pairs to be sure they sound the same.  The brackets, the seals,  and far too often, these side platform thingies that hold the decorative side grills are uneven and, quite frankly look shoddy.  Just look at those cheap 2 cent brackets, only one to a side holding the mid horn in place. The seals are some generic tubing from a plumbing shop.

Pride, gentleman, pride.

Personally when I do a job, half the stuff I do to make it look right, I just do because it needs doing, not to impress the customer.