New Klipschorn AK6 coming out?

avguytx

This should go a long way in helping Klipsch sell more Klipschorns.  To start with, more dealers will feel confident having them on hand for customers to hear.  ..As wonderful as they sound I'm sure dealers were quite reluctant to have any on display because of their homemade-like appearance.  That and the fact that they need to be situated tightly in corners that are at least 18-20 ft. apart.  Not much you can do about the latter, but addressing their appearance will definitely get more of these AWESOME speakers in people's homes.

The problem with dealers is not the appearance of Heritage, but an unwillingness to give up the floor space for them. There is also the simple issue of WAF - most wives do not want these behemoths in their homes. 

I just visited my first high end retailer in a decade. They had a pair of $30K Focal floorstanders, and some nice Dynaudio monitors that I liked - until I found out they were $6000 a pair. 

Big Heritage would have destroyed everything in the store. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Deang said:

The problem with dealers is not the appearance of Heritage, but an unwillingness to give up the floor space for them. There is also the simple issue of WAF - most wives do not want these behemoths in their homes. 

I just visited my first high end retailer in a decade. They had a pair of $30K Focal floorstanders, and some nice Dynaudio monitors that I liked - until I found out they were $6000 a pair. 

Big Heritage would have destroyed everything in the store. 

Well if you've only visited one high end retailer in a decade, then don't be so sure.  ..I've been to dozens and I've seen MANY very large speakers.  This includes the TOL Wilson, JBL Synthesis Everest, TOL McIntosh, Dynaudio, Vandersteen 5A's and so on.  ..Each of these speakers was as large (or nearly)  as Klipschorns, but EVERY ONE was significantly more attractive or at least had far better fit/finish.  Not ONE of these stores had a Khorn.

As for the Big Heritage "destroying everything in the store".  ..I do hate that sort of hyperbole.  The speakers I mention above are fabulous speakers even if I might prefer the Klipschorns.  "Destroying" does not apply in audio unless you're comparing a modern day high-end ystem to, say, a wind-up Victrola. :)

• Like 1

I used to live in high end stores. I walked away when things got plain stupid. The $30K Focals were being driven with $90K Octave KT-88 based tube amps. My LaScalas sounded better then this set up. 

$10K floor standers with three 6.5” drivers and Be tweeters looked ridiculous, and would be hard pressed to fill my room with sound. 

It’s not “hyperbole”. Give me a new pair of Klipschorns and my choice of electronics, and I’ll have no problem burying the over priced and “pretty” stuff. 

At $15K, the Klipschorn appears to be a real bargain.

• Like 8

To anyone that saw the AK-6 at the factory demo... is it smaller in size? In the blurry posted pic, it appears to be smaller????
McBlue didnt you have some AK-5 on order in a special finish?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, McBlueMeter said:

Any more news or pics? Just bought a new home and I'm very interested in this new Khorn....

There is another thread where there are assembly pics. I did not get to see that part of tour not sure why....guess Im no special anymore.lol 

On 6/30/2018 at 5:27 AM, WMcD said:

Hmm . . .  if the AK-5 is no longer in production, being replaced with the AK-6, then maybe Klipsch will release a schematic of the AK-5.

Whooo Hooo!

WMcD

Is the AK-4 schematic available?  I heard it was only one resistor different than the AK-5

I'd like to see temporal alignment in the Klipschorn as well, but that has to be done actively,

the woofer path is just too long.  Heyser measured the energy time characteristic of the Klipschorn as: tweeter, 3.7 ms, mid, 5.38 ms, and woofer, 8.4 ms after the tweeter. PWK did an experiment in which he lengthend the midrange path by using copper pipe to equal the woofer path length, and he concluded that it "made no difference." 

My big set has Cornwalls, and my study set has Dahlquist DQ-10s. I wish I could get the amazing 3-D depth of the DQ-10s with the clarity and dynamic range of the Corns.

43 minutes ago, boom3 said:

Heyser measured the energy time characteristic of the Klipschorn as: tweeter, 3.7 ms, mid, 5.38 ms, and woofer, 8.4 ms after the tweeter.

What? Seems like there should only be two numbers in that whole sentence.  Or three with one of them zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boom3 said:

I only have a poor scan of the article, which has been posted in the Forum before, but I'm attaching it to let Heyser speak for himself.

Richard C Heyser KHorn Review.pdf

Thanks for posting that.  His reference point is 1 meter in front of the grille and the tweeter signal arrives first at 3.7ms.  Speed of sound at around 20 degrees C at 1 atmosphere is 3.43ms / m, so his 3.7ms is entirely believable, the tiny difference maybe accounted for by the K77 throat depth, so this is the "zero" I was talking about.

Nobody listens at 1m with their ear in front of the grille, though, (and no idea on the vertical placement of the mic) so I'm not exactly sure how you'd measure the other paths and get the delays.  The simplistic and probably wrong method would be to subtract 3.7 from the other two times.

I could imagine that measuring the true woofer delay would probably be much harder to do than the mid and the tweeter, but I could be wrong.  I'm wrong a lot.

Someone else will have to weigh in on this, I'm over my head.

I rediscovered two reviews (in French) of the Klipschorn.I don't read French but the results are interesting to compare with Heyser's. The last curve in the first review was provided by Klipsch; I have a copy of it as well. Comparing results between two or three technical reviews is dicey, but the curve shown in the second review looks even flatter than the curve Klipsch was providing at the time.

French%20Reviews%20of%20K-Horn.pdf