Klipschorn - New Build introduced to pilgrimage attendees

mikebse2a3

If you attended the pilgrimage this year then these are some pictures of the new design which we all heard in Klipsch's Updated Listening Room at the plant.

(1 )New Build design which goes together like a puzzle with closed back which makes assembly very strong and much more efficient to build and allows the Klipschorn to be rotated in the corner as needed without having to be placed tight into the corner.

(2 )New Tweeter with Crossover Changes

(3) Removable grills for LF and HF

(4) 2" Pedestal/Riser. 

First the recently updated Klipsch Listening Room in Hope.1206180489_Klipsch-ListeningRoom..1.thumb.jpg.98f7c96f2b63e9a7f22dac676e39358d.jpg382176233_Klipsch-ListeningRoom..2.thumb.jpg.568e8763b3d0da49489b164e024208ff.jpg1522406143_Klipsch-ListeningRoom..3.thumb.jpg.30ccdb888a8126d24e3248635889d29e.jpg2093202113_Klipsch-ListeningRoom-Equipment.thumb.jpg.e577a32b3c5809bdedf615000107ed57.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Again sorry if the pictures aren't the best and they were taken on the spur of the moment but I wanted to share what pictures I was able to get.

The Black Khorns are hard to see details and I was trying to stay out of the way as they were working out some of the details of this first assembly of the new design.

miketn

39 minutes ago, rebuy said:

I don't get it--somebody explain this please.

The Klipschorn has evolved. The Pilgrimage folks got a sneak peak. We are all panting for details. Maybe Stereophile would condescend to review the new version.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Schu said:

Exciting... you guys were able to listen to it?

A new passive network?

Yes.... everyone at the pilgrimage that wanted to was able to listen to all the speakers in the demo room.

The Klipschorn crossover was still a work in progress as far as tweeter integration into the system but Roy wanted attendees to have a chance to listen to them with more dialing in to come after the pilgrimage.

miketn 

• Like 2

We listened to all of the current offerings, including:

Heresy III

Forte III

Cornwall III

La Scala II

RF7 III

New, work in progress Khorn

IMHO....Heresy III were very impressive for their size, and a major advance in the Heresy line.  Bass response was positive and surprising.

Forte III I have heard previously, and while I like them, they didn't impress me as much as the Heresy III, nor did they compete with what I felt was the clear winner....La Scala II.

• Like 1

Looking closely at the tweeter, it looks like an existing driver (maybe a Beyma?) coupled to a experimental throat, bolted to a new horn lens. The long path between the driver and lens makes me think that this combination's cutoff will be lower than the K-77, so maybe the second crossover will be moved back to 4 KHz.

For all the talk about how klipschorns need to be on a 20 ft. wall (or more), and lo and behold, their purpose built room seems eerily similar to mine. That wall can't be any more than 16' wide, unless these pics are an optical illusion.

Shakey

• Like 1

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of using glass filled plastic for the horn.  It is dense, for sure. Quite the impressive mold that must be. The amount of scrap I see at some of my plastics customers on much simpler IM parts makes me think this has a wicked amount! How does the sound compare to the previous metal horn, and why was the GFP selected?

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Wondering about the "Keep up with the LF" means for the tweeter.

Most tweeters aren't rated at 105 dB/1m @2.83V input so if one were to use one of those lower sensitivity tweeters, the overall sensitivity rating of the loudspeaker would have to be lowered. 

Trust me, no one would notice a 1 dB decrease in overall sensitivity by solely listening in a home consumer environment, but the manufacturer's pride of claiming that high of a sensitivity seems to be the most "sensitive" factor in this discussion. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Trust me, no one would notice a 1 dB decrease in overall sensitivity by solely listening in a home consumer environment, but the manufacturer's pride of claiming that high of a sensitivity seems to be the most "sensitive" factor in this discussion

Hmmm....  “manufacture’s pride” well I sure hope Klipsch has great pride in all aspects of the Klipschorn.

What I have no doubt about is Roy’s desire to honor PWK with any changes that he designs into the Klipschorn. 🙂

miketn

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Most tweeters aren't rated at 105 dB/1m @2.83V input so if one were to use one of those lower sensitivity tweeters, the overall sensitivity rating of the loudspeaker would have to be lowered. 

Trust me, no one would notice a 1 dB decrease in overall sensitivity by solely listening in a home consumer environment, but the manufacturer's pride of claiming that high of a sensitivity seems to be the most "sensitive" factor in this discussion. 

Chris

This is true, but that 1 db shows up as a "flavor" and will be audible.  It might make the K-horn sound soft or some such audiopile adjective in vogue this month.  The difference between the tweeter output between a Type AA and my ALKs was only about 1.5 dB but is seemed like an "obvious" difference. 

• Like 1