Any shot at Klipschorns in this room? Or Jubes?

avguytx

This is what my upstairs room in our new house is going to be shaped like.  It's got that typical sloped ceiling that goes from 9' down to 5' on the sides.  The idea of Khorns crossed my mind in that I have one corner but not the second corner where I could seal the back on one maybe and it "maybe" working.  I know I built a pair of Belle's and those will be in there, of course, but the thought did cross my mind.  Or even Jubes.  But, the 402 height might get close to that angled ceiling not to mention the possible reflection problems and if those could be treated.  If it's not a worthwhile idea, I'll just stick with what I have and go from there.  It's only going to be for my audio gear, CD's, LP's, guitars, etc.  It will have carpet floors (only room in the house) and darker painted walls with possibly some vertical wood pieces on the walls stained fairly dark.  The epitome of a man cave, I guess.  But tasteful.

The room shows to be about 14'-6" in depth (but might be deeper) and goes as long as about 30 feet but I don't really want them to be that far apart and then have to go to a center channel to augment.  This room will only be 2-channel, btw, at least to start but might do some very basic surround for poops and grins.  Although I could care less about it.  

I could build the Jube bass bins but I doubt I'd want to attempt the Klipschorns; too many cuts and intricacies to mess with.  It's just an idea....nothing more.  Maybe.

Pic of the layout.  The speakers/listening position could be flip flopped, too.

Khorn idea.PNG

I really wanted to use the long wall for speakers but I have thought about using them that direction as well.  Seems like I'd have to sit closer to them to be in the "good spot".  I had a pair years ago in a room where the long wall (in my office) was only about 13 feet apart and that was too close.  With this being only 14'-6" +/-, it's not that much bigger.  Unfortunately, I can't make the room more "optimum" given its location above the 3 car garage.  

This is an exert from the "What You Need to Know About Installing Klipschorns" article....

Ideally the corners should be at least 8’ but less than 20’ apart with the ability to place the listener at least as far back from the plane of the speakers as they are apart. In situations where the Klipschorns will be greater than 20 feet apart a proper stereo image may not develop between your speakers. A third speaker, such as the La Scala II, can be installed in between widely spaced Klipschorns and fed a mono signal to compensate for this:

This is the pair of Walnut '78 Klipschorns I'd bought from the original owner back in May of 2008 for $500 who was a retired Delta airlines pilot.  They even came with his original gallon can of Watco Walnut Danish Oil.  I hated selling these and watching them drive away.  They were 95% perfect and had survived their move from California to Texas 25 years before.  Ugh....makes my stomach turn thinking about that sell.  But I had to as the company I was with in DFW went under and I sold house and paid everything off and went back to college to start over.

001 (2017_10_06 01_49_14 UTC).JPG

22 (2017_10_06 01_49_14 UTC).JPG

• Like 1

Build a false corner for the other K-horn
With that you can place them on the long wall , or even place each one a few feet from each corner of the long wall. Making the false corners is very easy and you could even build salves on the other side of the false walls of each speaker.
You could do a test setup with just using two sheets of 1/2” or 3/4 junk plywood and see (hear) how it sounds. I’ve had 3 sets over the years and I never had the perfect room for setting them up. I I had to make the false K-horn walls. I even had a 3 way wmw setup and used false wall setup to help with the bass output and it worked well
You can google Klipsch K-horn false wall and get all the measurements for it. It’s a cheap and worthwhile DIY
Good luck and and posy some pics for us
Here’s a few pics of found to give you a idea of what I’m talking about
695fa241fcb35b8c65ba7ae90744cfba.jpg0364caa5a6ca8ec1c3aae91128a25cd5.jpg1c802f2d553149f42b556f2d2af113b7.jpg

8 hours ago, Schu said:

I'm never building half walls just to have  pair of speakers... no thanks. I'd rather just have them with less bass extension.

Major argument for Jubes.  Enclosing the backs is one thing but the wings?  Jubes....

To each their own.  If I was young and just continuing to tinker, I probably wouldn't care but I'd have a hard time leaving it that way for long term.

13 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Build a false corner for the other K-horn
With that you can place them on the long wall , or even place each one a few feet from each corner of the long wall. Making the false corners is very easy and you could even build salves on the other side of the false walls of each speaker.
You could do a test setup with just using two sheets of 1/2” or 3/4 junk plywood and see (hear) how it sounds. I’ve had 3 sets over the years and I never had the perfect room for setting them up. I I had to make the false K-horn walls. I even had a 3 way wmw setup and used false wall setup to help with the bass output and it worked well
You can google Klipsch K-horn false wall and get all the measurements for it. It’s a cheap and worthwhile DIY
Good luck and and posy some pics for us
Here’s a few pics of found to give you a idea of what I’m talking about
695fa241fcb35b8c65ba7ae90744cfba.jpg0364caa5a6ca8ec1c3aae91128a25cd5.jpg1c802f2d553149f42b556f2d2af113b7.jpg

Wondering how those walls will handle 98DBM SPL.

JJK

14 hours ago, avguytx said:

It's got that typical sloped ceiling that goes from 9' down to 5' on the sides

That 5' has me curious (was going to say 'concerned' but that's too strong of word)

The Khorns might just fit.....but the Jubilee's might get in the way of your sloping ceiling (??)

Good news is, they could be pulled out some from the corner until they fit so you have some wiggle room.

You probably know my predisposition so I'll just say those Khorns you had were beautiful.

Yeah, if the Jubes needed to be close to the walls, which I like, I know that 402 horn would have some trouble with that slope of the ceiling not to mention the reflections off the ceiling.  Unless maybe a 510 horn was used.  It's more of a curiosity of what might be a possibility more than a definite "I'm going to do this" thing.  Yes, those walnut Khorns were beautiful and I hated selling them.  I could probably build Khorns but Jubes would be easier in not having those odd complex angles which I'd have to build a serious jig for.  I'll never find a pair of Khorns again in that shape for $500 and I won't pay $3k+ for a pair....I'm just too cheap.  haha.  If I'm spending that much, I'd just build Jube bass bins and go from there IF I decided to do something different...which might be a year from now.  

Main thing will be listening to my Belle's in the new room once the house is done and everything is in order.  

16 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, if the Jubes needed to be close to the walls, which I like, I know that 402 horn would have some trouble with that slope of the ceiling not to mention the reflections off the ceiling.  Unless maybe a 510 horn was used.  It's more of a curiosity of what might be a possibility more than a definite "I'm going to do this" thing.  Yes, those walnut Khorns were beautiful and I hated selling them.  I could probably build Khorns but Jubes would be easier in not having those odd complex angles which I'd have to build a serious jig for.  I'll never find a pair of Khorns again in that shape for $500 and I won't pay $3k+ for a pair....I'm just too cheap.  haha.  If I'm spending that much, I'd just build Jube bass bins and go from there IF I decided to do something different...which might be a year from now.  

Main thing will be listening to my Belle's in the new room once the house is done and everything is in order.  

11 hours ago, Schu said:

I'm never building half walls just to have  pair of speakers... no thanks. I'd rather just have them with less bass extension.

I'm with @Schu on this, those half walls are ugly.  Just run the Khorns as-is, they won't sound that bad,

If you need more bass simply add a large sub, 15" or better.  You won't hear the sub (if properly set up) as a point source, you will hear more bass reinforcement from the speakers.

You could also enclose the backs like they do on the current Khorns.  If they come from the factory that way it sounds like a very sensible modification.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Schu said:

Its gonna be a sound room above the garage, its not like he is craming stuff in 8 feet from the front door of a flat.  False walls weren't above the man himself, he too wanted more with a trying layout.

Damn, I'd be sick if I sold those, too!! 

I'd have held them for you if you'd just asked.  😈

Try them along that short wall first.  If that doesn't work, build a knee wall for the left one and don't look back.  Like Coytee, I have some reservations about the sloped ceiling, but only the part above your listening position.  If you get annoying reflections off of that surface, diffusers and absorbers may help.