Opinions on amplification needed for 7.1 HT

Ryan from WA

Hey, just wanted to get your opinions on some options Ive been contemplating, if you dont mind. 

I have a 7.2 HT, but will need 8 channels of power as my center is 2 cornwalls (for the time being). All of my speakers are klipsch and very efficient - khorns, cws, and kpt100s. I got my first tube amp for stereo listening, but need something for movies. With speakers this efficient, will I get Dynamic sound out of a cheaper amp like the Emotiva basx 5, rated at 80wpc, or would a used upa5 at 125 wpc be a significant improvement? I have an integra receiver powering the surrounds now and other amps for the mains that ill be consolidating once I get a multi channel amp. The basx's are appealing as they are cheap, and stackable. I may go with a 7 and a 5 ch for future moves to 9 or 11.0. I just want to make sure im not missing out, for one, and two that my avr alone isnt doing everything a separate amp would because of the speakers' efficiency.

Cheers!

You have some very nice gear. Where are you located in WA?

I would love to hear that setup! I have a beefy 7 channel B&K amplifier we could even test out at your house, to hear if we hear a difference in sound between the Integra and the B&K. 

I have ave owned a bassx Emotiva amp and it would probably be fine but I would definitely hold out for a used XPA series. I would even prefer a used Outlaw Audio or Acurus amp over Emotiva, due to the efficiency of your setup. There are other amplifier brands out there but Outlaw and Acurus pop up on the used market from time to time and they are usually priced around used Emotiva gear. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ryan from WA said:

I have a 7.2 HT, but will need 8 channels of power as my center is 2 cornwalls (for the time being).

There is no AVR I know of that supports 2 center speakers.

I would suggest you use a single Cornwall as center.  If you want to run both Cornies in the center then wire them in parallel.  That will turn your dual 8 Ohm speakers into a load your AVR will see as a single 4 Ohm speaker.

37 minutes ago, K5SS said:

You have some very nice gear. Where are you located in WA?

30 minutes north of Seattle - Marysville. For the room its overkill, its an 18' x 18' square pretty much, but I figure Ill never be short on volume in any house I may end up in. You live nearby? Maybe we can work something out.

"There is no AVR I know of that supports 2 center speakers."

I currently use a hafler dh220 to power the center cornwalls, avr is only on surround duty. Center out to an rca splitter so both speakers get the same signal.  I use 2 speakers to try to get more coverage out of the main dialogue channel. Even with 2 speakers it's not perfect. Im thinking of building a stand that will aim one slightly higher than the other. Its a relatively small room and I want to watch movies with groups. They are vertical cws, laying down and butted up to each other,  so theres little distance between the horns.

A parasound A21 powers the khorns, but Im looking for a 5 channel or 7 channel amp that could double as a 2 ch. for stereo (when the tubes wont suffice)

Edited by Ryan from WA

7 hours ago, Ryan from WA said:

30 minutes north of Seattle - Marysville. For the room its overkill, its an 18' x 18' square pretty much, but I figure Ill never be short on volume in any house I may end up in. You live nearby? Maybe we can work something out.

I am currently living in Bothell but can travel.. That gear in that room has to be quite the experience! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I am currently living in Bothell but can travel.. That gear in that room has to be quite the experience! 

Its decent - do you know how to mess with room eq? If so you could help me make it an experience! :) I have a mic but havent got to mess with it all that much

I was hoping you could help me with that. Haha! I have been contemplating hiring a company to come adjust my video/audio but I am temporarily renting so I am leaving it up to Audyssey MultiEQ XT for the time being.