Cornwall III's v Forte III's

teashea

I have a pair of Forte III's, three pair of Heresy III's and some other brand speakers.  I am going to purchase either another pair of Forte III's or a pair of Cornwall III's.  I am unable to audition the Cornwalls and have never heard them.  I really like my Forete III's.  The room they will go in is 18 x 20.  I know that the Forte III's will work but I am seriously considering the Cornwall III's instead.  My concern with the Cornwalls is whether their technology is as advanced as the Forte III's.  I really like the mid horn in the Forte III's.  It seems that the mid horn in the Cornwall III's is a generation behind.  Also, I have a concern whether the 15" woofer in the Cornwall III's will provide clear definition compared to the 12" in Forte III's.  I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1

I compared both the same morning, in the same room same, listening to the same music.  To my ears the CWIIIs sounded more dynamic, extended deeper, and at least matched the FIIIs for resolution, if not slightly bettered them.  One other CWIII advantage was how full and enjoyable  they sound even at very low volumes, which I am sometimes forced to listen at  so as to not wake people.

As I see it, the Corwall IiIs are clearly better speakers which they ought to be considering they are significantly more expensive. So it’s a question of whether your budget and your room can accommodate them. If not, the Forte IIIs come awfully close.   I can’t imagine anyone being unhappy with either. 

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

As I see it, the Corwall IiIs are clearly better speakers which they ought to be considering they are significantly more expensive. So it’s a question of whether your budget and your room can accommodate them. If not, the Forte IIIs come awfully close.   I can’t imagine anyone being unhappy with either. 

They're "only" $400 more per pair list...for basic finishes.  That's not too terribly bad.  One thing  that does strike me good about the Cornwall's is them not being as picky with placement being front ported versus the rear passive on the F3's but that would all depend on someone's room and listening position from them.

2 hours ago, teashea said:

Thank you very much for the information ---- actually CW's are not so very much more expensive than the Forte III's.  I appreciate you assistance/

Well, 800 bucks certainly is not insignificant 🙂 it’s more than enough to buy an integrated amplifier more than capable of driving either speaker. Having reread your post I do wonder if the Cornwalls wouldn’t be more suitable just based on the size of your room. My room is 16 feet wide and I think the Cornwall’s are better suited.

bothcornwalls.JPG.a7f9384ee415c256841c42b9d01c3a34.JPG

I have owned Heresy IIIs and Cornwall IIIs....Heresy IIIs with a nice subwoofer compare very closely against the cornwall IIIs, considering they both have the same midrange horn. Heresy III and a subwoofer will save a lot of money and give you a very similar performance in my experience.

I actually preferred the overall balance of my Klipsch Forte I speakers over the Cornwall III with that same midrange horn. I kept the forte I.... I sold the Cornwall IIIs because I felt, for a such a big speaker, midrange detail was lacking for me. It really bummed me out, considering how much they cost. I wish I would've picked up some Cornwall IIs instead, or maybe even cornscalas. I'm just sharing my experience.

2 hours ago, hcnelly said:

I have owned Heresy IIIs and Cornwall IIIs....Heresy IIIs with a nice subwoofer compare very closely against the cornwall IIIs, considering they both have the same midrange horn. Heresy III and a subwoofer will save a lot of money and give you a very similar performance in my experience.

I actually preferred the overall balance of my Klipsch Forte I speakers over the Cornwall III with that same midrange horn. I kept the forte I.... I sold the Cornwall IIIs because I felt, for a such a big speaker, midrange detail was lacking for me. It really bummed me out, considering how much they cost. I wish I would've picked up some Cornwall IIs instead, or maybe even cornscalas. I'm just sharing my experience.

Well if you think the forte I is better than the CWIII, you would crap your pants over the forte III.

shakey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hahaha, I believe you shakey- I probably would! I'd definitely love to hear a pair of the forte iii.  I've been eyeballing them since they were released. I'm sure I would absolutely love them :) I wish I had the funds, but I've been loving my Klipsch belle lately, with the fastrac horns.

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well if you think the forte I is better than the CWIII, you would crap your pants over the forte III.

shakey

Again, hyperbolic language that simply doesn't make sense.  ..I've heard all these versions (over the course of time) and NONE is so dramatically better than the previous as to leave one gobsmacked (or incontinent as you suggest).  ..Sheesh.  Instead, the improvements are very incremental and maybe even barely perceptible  if compared in a way so as to reduce bias .

All of this underscores the need for the OP to find a store where he can make these comparisons himself  using the same gear, same room, and same music at carefully matched volumes.    

11 hours ago, hcnelly said:

Felt the same when I went from Forte 1 to Chorus 2.  The Chorus 2 had more slam but the Forte 1 was more balanced overall and better midrange(TO ME).  Sold the Fortes to a friend before I realized this.  

The Chorus 2 are great speakers and I do not regret selling the Fortes.  I think since my first Klipsch speakers were Heresy 1985 the Forte is very similar but better bass.  I would like to get a pair of Chorus 1 just to hear them but do not have the money.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, teashea said:

What are the chances that Klipsch will release a Chorus IV with the Forte midrange horn?

Who knows, but why not with it's own new horn, even better. It would be a third version like the Forte, actual might not be any better ? I would think the Forte lll is better than the Chorus ll already.