DIY Amp Kits..??

Audio Android

16 hours ago, Full Range said:

In this thread you will see an F6 build and my review of the 2 amps in question about half way down 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/176320-firstwatt-f6-build/&tab=comments#comment-2271730

Another great thread full of information I like, Thanks Full Range..

15 hours ago, wdecho said:

Excellent sounding. I had been following the TPA3255 for many months if not years before a reasonably priced one became available. When introduced the Texas Instrument board was very expensive, something like $300 or $400. The price has since came down, https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TPA3255EVM?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTG7MALkZnEkjmi7Uua86kwNeL04jMIDY%3d. This is a Texas Instrument board and the one on Ebay is a Chinese copy. I have both and I cannot tell any difference. The TI board was discounted in the past and the deal may still be offered. The details are in the thread you have been reading. I would think better parts are on the TI board. With the switching PS at Parts express and the Chinese board you can judge for yourself for not much money. If you like the sound (I believe you will be thrilled) you can then put both parts in a case. You will not need a case to hook everything up. No harder than hooking up an amplifier to a speaker. You will need some way to control the volume, pre or buffer. Some potentiometers will work fine as well or a passive pre on Amazon. 

Those little Class-d's are very intriguing.... You've got me hooked, well I'm on the line at least... So much good information THANK YOU

6 hours ago, twk123 said:

The 300W is for 4 Ohm I believe. The thing about Class D is they operate best with lots of headroom. They sound really good at low power but fall apart pretty fast when driven too hard.

Those amps look like they're the size of my hand... But then again I am just looking at the power board of an amp...I think just seeing the board alone is throwing me off..... I really want to try one now... If I get one it will be to hold me over until my KIT is chosen then finished.... Plus I have a lot of speakers in my garage... Its at least worth experimenting with for the price and power..

Guest wdecho

Long time member claudeJ1 who has had many amplifiers over the years has went class D almost exclusively. Nowadays with the improvements in amplifier technology the differences in the better amplifiers becomes subtle. Every amplifier I have, over 20 completely ones at the present time, sound different. Subtly so but still different. Last night I was listening with my Icepower D amplifier and it is a wonderful amplifier as well. Hypex, Icepower, Texas Instruments TPA are the heavy hitters in D technology. I enjoy D amplification but also still love my tube amplifiers and Class A SS ones as well. Probably more personal taste but class A is still my favorite for my taste in music.  

On 7/3/2018 at 9:49 PM, Audio Android said:

Those amps look like they're the size of my hand... But then again I am just looking at the power board of an amp...I think just seeing the board alone is throwing me off..... I really want to try one now... If I get one it will be to hold me over until my KIT is chosen then finished.... Plus I have a lot of speakers in my garage... Its at least worth experimenting with for the price and power..

I actually have all the parts for this kit in a box and ready to be built. It does fit into your palm but it feels very robust and is well built. By my measurements, between the chip and the power supply the final amp shell will need to be about 12'' by 12''.

Class D is a  fun rabbit hole to go down. There are some cheaper options that run on 12V and are the size of a credit card that put out about 15 Watts per channel. Some people actually run them off a Li Ion battery for their main system so you get 100% clean power without needing expensive power conditioners etc. 

• Like 2

On July 4, 2018 at 7:10 AM, wdecho said:

Probably more personal taste but class A is still my favorite for my taste in music.  

That's the main reason Im going to build a kit... Just a more inexpensive option for Class-A or Class-AB power amp(and I like building things)..Both of the kits I listed are AB....I ve never had anything other than Class-D, because I've never wanted to spend the money on a class-AB or class-A amp that I liked (imcheap)...The ones that I want are REALLY expensive..... But its becoming clear that I've never had a really Nice class-d either.... Ive just owned Pioneer ELITE's...

On July 4, 2018 at 6:58 PM, alxlwson said:

tubes4hifi!

Those are Nice too, Real nice... Expensive though like you said... But they are Beauties.

On July 5, 2018 at 10:06 AM, twk123 said:

Some people actually run them off a Li Ion battery for their main system so you get 100% clean power

I have seen these batteries in peoples family rooms.. Like a LOT of them.... We're a strange bunch

On July 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM, SiliconTi said:

Stereophile did a test of the Akittika and liked it.

Thats where I found it :emotion-21:

Guest wdecho
2 hours ago, Audio Android said:

Just a more inexpensive option for Class-A or Class-AB power amp(and I like building things).

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

This is the cheapest way to experience class A in SS. Worth the wait unless you want to spend more money $700 or more for a Firstwatt clone. I built one of these last year and it sounds really good for class A/B.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-MX50-SE-Power-amplifier-assembled-board-Dual-2-0-channel-100W-100W-HIFI-/251715796673?hash=item3a9b6e3ec1

Not a kit though but you can buy everything needed, PS board, case on Ebay as well. I use Antek toroid transformers for my builds. http://www.antekinc.com/

Hi @Audio Android,

Since your budget is "limited" you may want to "experiment" first.  Suggest you try a tube headphone amp so you can decide if you want to go tubes or SS.

I bought a "Little Dot I" headphone tube amp off FleaBay used for $50 ... next, compare it with your SS headphones jack out. If you like it, go for the tubes ... just be aware that most won't give you multiple inputs, so if you are switching equipment it will be a pain in the a** (or extra $$ for a preamp).  Tubes4hifi.com has a very good starter kit, but it's about $800 :( ( got one but did not think it was that much better than the Marantz 1060 it replaced).

As another alternative, look at some vintage receivers.  Sound is awesome, and normally you do have to "play" with them to get them back to spec (clean potentiometers,  replace some capicitors, etc.).  If you stay away from the "big name" brands such as McIntosh and Marantz, you can get a very good amp for your Forte's for little money.  I have a Yamaha CR620 driving my (rear) Cornwall's and it's awesome ... btw; cost me $100 and a little bit of work.

Best of luck!

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wdecho said:

This is the cheapest way to experience class A in SS.

As soon as I opened that link to the AmpCampAmp you gave me in your first response I was like... "this is exactly what I'm looking for":o..... Obviously quite a few people know about it....:sad:

Thanks for the Transformer and other excellent link too....:emotion-21: 

17 hours ago, Emile said:

decide if you want to go tubes or SS.

OF COURSE I WANT TUBES.....I want BIG Motherlovin' mono block BUILT IN AMERICA Marantz Model 2's....BUT I WANT SS TOO:emotion-29: A McIntosh amp used at Woodstock:emotion-19::emotion-22:.....Both the names you said to stay away from I know.... 

17 hours ago, Emile said:

vintage receivers

I've always got my eye out don't you worryB)......I created this thread to try to find AmpKits...I just want to build an amp myself.....I really like building things, and figuring it out... To learn from the schematics.. To understand the design of an amps electronic path and the signature sound that comes from that design.... To try and build upon that knowledge to better understand the amps I'am buying and will continue to buy... Or build..

THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS HELP.......I really appreciate it:emotion-21:

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
53 minutes ago, Audio Android said:

I've always got my eye out don't you worryB)......I created this thread to try to find AmpKits...I just want to build an amp myself.....I really like building things, and figuring it out... To learn from the schematics.. To understand the design of an amps electronic path and the signature sound that comes from that design.... To try and build upon that knowledge to better understand the amps I'am buying and will continue to buy... Or build..

Building from a schematic is truly the way to go. The first place to start to learn what you are describing is right here. http://www.firstwatt.com/articles.html  Start from the first article and proceed from there 1977. You will be learning from the master of audio design. When you do not understand what he is saying google and start your journey. The Zen series of amps are as simple as Class A gets. Class A by it's very nature is superior to all other classes of amplification. Nelson's circuits are SS designs with as few parts as necessary for the results he is trying to achieve. Much the same as single ended tube amplifiers. They share much the same philosophy in design but Nelson's game is SS. Mosfets, which are used in most class A designs, share the same curves as pentode tubes. I have a wood test chassis I built to hold the heatsinks along with the transformer and power supply board to test new designs with different boards. After purchasing the transformer, power supply and heatsinks it is very cheap to stuff new boards and listen to different circuits. Many of the designs share the same 18V transformer. If you get serious about class A ask me later for more info on part selections. Below is the design of the new F7 amplifier that has not been published yet but the members on diyaudio guessed the circuit from the info Nelson generously provided. The boards are some I stuffed myself. I have 4 complete Firstwatt designs in proper looking cases along with the other test chassis you can see in the picture as well along with one other in a homemade chassis I built for a total of 7 complete Firstwatt amplifiers. The boards for some others I have tried and removed are in another room. 

P1030787.JPG

Guest wdecho
3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@wdecho Don’t tempt me with an F7 - I forbid you

He knows what I am getting at because he convinced me to build the M2 ,  but thankful his argument was sound and I built the M2 

😃😃😃

No real advantage over M2. The M2 is a fantastic amplifier with horn speakers. 

Guest wdecho

I just received an email that the diyaudio store is taking pre orders for the ampcamp kit for 24 hours only. Hot item.  

Pre-orders for the next Amp Camp Amp Kit batch are open for the next 48 hours

13 minutes ago, wdecho said:

I just received an email that the diyaudio store is taking pre orders for the ampcamp kit for 24 hours only. Hot item.  

Pre-orders for the next Amp Camp Amp Kit batch are open for the next 48 hours

I just got the email myself 

Have you heard the amp camp SS on our La Scala compared to the M2 

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
21 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I just got the email myself 

Have you heard the amp camp SS on our La Scala compared to the M2 

The original one. I built one just to see how it sounds. No appreciable difference in the circuit from the new board. It would not be fair comparison being that the M2 is a push pull amplifier as the ampcamp is single ended. I just bought the board and tried it in my test chassis. Very good sound with linear PS but I have the SE BA-1 amplifier that is more refined with better sound in a single ended design. If you want to experience what a SE SS amplifier sounds like I say go for it. Not a lot of cash to experience the sound. You will be hearing what Nelson refers to as 'one transistor clapping. There are two transistors in the circuit but the other one is used as a cascode for the audio reproducing transistor. It does not have any appreciable effect on the sound being that it is used as a cascode (constant current source unless I am mistaken) for the main transistor.