DIY Amp Kits..??

Audio Android

22 hours ago, wdecho said:

I just received an email that the diyaudio store is taking pre orders for the ampcamp kit for 24 hours only. Hot item.  

Pre-orders for the next Amp Camp Amp Kit batch are open for the next 48 hours

ONE AMP CAMP AMP KIT ORDERED....OR PRE-ORDERED .....!!!!!

WOOOOOO...!!!!!

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
1 hour ago, Audio Android said:

ONE AMP CAMP AMP KIT ORDERED....OR PRE-ORDERED .....!!!!!

WOOOOOO...!!!!!

Good choice for first build. Build guide,  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/320867-aca-v1-5-illustrated-build-guide.html

Very nice SET tube sound in SS. Both class A, simple circuits, with as few parts as needed. Probably more of a pentode tube sound than SET though being the mosfet has curves like pentode tube. Splitting hairs somewhat though. 

so can a DIY noob get some feedback on this please?  if things work out in the near future, I'm hoping to add an amp for primarily HT duty.  main desire is to get what I think has been described as more overhead available, primarily for lower end response from my Cornwall mains.  not running a dedicated center right now but that may also happen at some point down the road.

anyway, prior to reading this thread, I had been thinking along the lines of adding a 5-ch amp, something like an Outlaw 5000, Emotiva 5-ch (UPA-5?, XPA-5?) to my AVR for additional power using its pre-outs, or if I can find a deal/steal on something better.  BUT, after reading this thread, I do like the idea of the Amp Camp Amp DIY deal, the quality of the result, support channel in place for 1st timers that I would be, as well as the price point getting into it.

so - for discussion & feedback - knowing that the ACA would give me 2 ch to run the LR CW vs a 5-ch or more to run those, you guys who have been around this, I would appreciate your thoughts comparing these 2 paths - the ACA vs a 5-ch or 7-ch Outlaw, Emotiva etc?  thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, -js- said:

so can a DIY noob get some feedback on this please?  if things work out in the near future, I'm hoping to add an amp for primarily HT duty.  main desire is to get what I think has been described as more overhead available, primarily for lower end response from my Cornwall mains.  not running a dedicated center right now but that may also happen at some point down the road.

anyway, prior to reading this thread, I had been thinking along the lines of adding a 5-ch amp, something like an Outlaw 5000, Emotiva 5-ch (UPA-5?, XPA-5?) to my AVR for additional power using its pre-outs, or if I can find a deal/steal on something better.  BUT, after reading this thread, I do like the idea of the Amp Camp Amp DIY deal, the quality of the result, support channel in place for 1st timers that I would be, as well as the price point getting into it.

so - for discussion & feedback - knowing that the ACA would give me 2 ch to run the LR CW vs a 5-ch or more to run those, you guys who have been around this, I would appreciate your thoughts comparing these 2 paths - the ACA vs a 5-ch or 7-ch Outlaw, Emotiva etc?  thanks in advance.

The ACA is 6 wpc.  Would that would in your application?

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

The ACA is 6 wpc.  Would that would in your application?

um, idk... that may be part of what I'm trying to learn.  but - from what I think I've picked up is that cuz the CW are as efficient as they are, the low watt output should still give me a pleasing result at my main listening position.  yes?  primary use would be as a 2 ch amp to drive my LR Cornwall fronts, using the AVR as the source and AVR to drive other channels, which currently are surround L & R.

now, if I'm not answering your question, I may not be understanding the concept properly.  not intentionally being dense, but accidental density may be introduced.

23 minutes ago, -js- said:

um, idk... that may be part of what I'm trying to learn.  but - from what I think I've picked up is that cuz the CW are as efficient as they are, the low watt output should still give me a pleasing result at my main listening position.  yes?  primary use would be as a 2 ch amp to drive my LR Cornwall fronts, using the AVR as the source and AVR to drive other channels, which currently are surround L & R.

now, if I'm not answering your question, I may not be understanding the concept properly.  not intentionally being dense, but accidental density may be introduced.

It all depends on how far from your speakers you sit and how loud you listen. 

• Like 1

ah, ok.  IDK the distance to the MLP.  I would guess +/- 10'.  I do know that I would like "more volume" (SPL ?) than what I currently get.  I gather that the current volume insufficiency may be due to the discussed fact that AVRs "work more" to drive the multi channels and thereby reducing overall power delivered.  I have noticed that on occasion I've reached reference level on the AVR, and for my preference would still like more volume, especially in the lower frequencies.  thus, my desire to explore additional amp power.

3 hours ago, -js- said:

ah, ok.  IDK the distance to the MLP.  I would guess +/- 10'.  I do know that I would like "more volume" (SPL ?) than what I currently get.  I gather that the current volume insufficiency may be due to the discussed fact that AVRs "work more" to drive the multi channels and thereby reducing overall power delivered.  I have noticed that on occasion I've reached reference level on the AVR, and for my preference would still like more volume, especially in the lower frequencies.  thus, my desire to explore additional amp power.

Then these may not be for you.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Then these may not be for you.

that's what I aim to learn, preferably this easy way by picking experienced brains rather than anything more difficult. 

thank you very much sir.  appreciate your feedback.

On July 3, 2018 at 12:39 AM, Audio Android said:

7 hours ago, -js- said:

for my preference would still like more volume, especially in the lower frequencies.  thus, my desire to explore additional amp power.

Those links above may help you to find your horsepower needs to control those 15" woofers with authority.

On July 8, 2018 at 8:22 AM, wdecho said:

I just received an email that the diyaudio store is taking pre orders for the ampcamp kit for 24 hours only. Hot item.  

Pre-orders for the next Amp Camp Amp Kit batch are open for the next 48 hours

I can't believe this thing went on sale.:ph34r2:..Im not usually this lucky.... I don't know how often this amp kit goes on sale, it looks like either once or twice a year but I'm unsure...... I just ordered the parts kit and power supply.... No chassis....I was very close to getting another kit and mono blocking them.... I figured I'll go though a few more kits to really get my ears tuned or my appreciation for certain circuit designs inline before committing to mono blocks.

I know I keep saying this but, THANK YOU :emotion-21::emotion-29:....!!!

I can't believe this thing went on sale.:ph34r2:..Im not usually this lucky.... I don't know how often this amp kit goes on sale, it looks like either once or twice a year but I'm unsure......

Amp Camp is an event where Nelson Pass himself walks people through building a class A amplifier. At the end of the day, everyone has a working amp. This amp kit is this year’s design. The first batch sold out right away, and I expect this batch to do the same.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Audio Android said:

cool, thanks for the info.

anyone have experience, 1st hand or reference based info using this board?  thanks.

Guest wdecho
12 hours ago, Audio Android said:

I can't believe this thing went on sale.:ph34r2:..Im not usually this lucky.... I don't know how often this amp kit goes on sale, it looks like either once or twice a year but I'm unsure...... I just ordered the parts kit and power supply.... No chassis....I was very close to getting another kit and mono blocking them.... I figured I'll go though a few more kits to really get my ears tuned or my appreciation for certain circuit designs inline before committing to mono blocks.

I know I keep saying this but, THANK YOU :emotion-21::emotion-29:....!!!

I think you should have purchased the entire kit with chassis. Class A SS runs hot and requires adequate heatsinking. The reason being that the transistors in a Class A amp run wide open or close to it whereas in an A/B amplifier they act like a variable potentiometer and depend on the signal on how much they operate. Generally a transistor will sound better the harder it works but with the side effect of heat. I do not believe you are going to find a chassis with enough heatsinking any cheaper than the one offered on diyaudio store. Also any other chassis with heatsinks will require drilling and tapping holes whereas the chassis offered on the store has the holes already drilled. I made the same mistake of trying another route in the past myself trying to save money and I have a machine shop background. This one will probably work if you cannot wait for the ampcamp chassis is made available again but you will have to drill and tap holes. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis/products/dissipante-3u  If you ever want to build a Firstwatt clone you would be wise to purchase one of these if you can drill and tap holes. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis/products/dissipante-4u  That is the one I use for my builds. A nice one with holes already drilled and tapped for any of the Firstwatt clones is this one. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis/products/deluxe-4u-amplifier-chassis-steel  There is a aluminum one like it for a little more money. With a 4U chassis all you will have to do (with 18V transformer and PS section) is swap boards out for a new one of the Firstwatt clones including the ampcamp. 

There are some Chinese chassis that would work but after shipping cost you are not going to save any money. I have tried many times to find a better deal. Another option is to just buy the heatsinks and build your own custom chassis.  https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/accessories/products/40mm-heatsinks?variant=16888345604

On July 10, 2018 at 9:56 AM, wdecho said:

Another option is to just buy the heatsinks and build your own custom chassis.  https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/accessories/products/40mm-heatsinks?variant=16888345604

This was my plan:emotion-21:.....I didn't really have a problem with paying for it..... This whole build was quite below what I was expecting to pay.... I gave myself a $400-$500 cap, but knew damn well I was gonna spend $500 and above.... After I saw the ACA, I knew that was the one for me.... Plus it was at a price that was surprisingly, Very comfortable:biggrin:..... When the KIT went on sale I started researching immediately for heat sinks and found plenty that would work.....I know Class-A are the hottest running amps and if you can't keep them cool they burn-up :emotion-45:...  With any amp especially a DIY project amp, it may just burn your whole life to the ground ....I have been working with metal fabrication here and there for years....Believe me I'm not taking any risks with the heat... And I like making things run as efficiently as possible.... I'm an over builder usually spending more money than I really need too to get a project finished to my liking=(AnalRetentive).... The Peace Of Mind more then makes up for the extra cash spent on projects....

Great links again wdecho...:emotion-21::cool: 

Guest wdecho
1 minute ago, Audio Android said:

This was my plan:emotion-21:.....I didn't really have a problem with paying for it..... This whole build was quite below what I was expecting to pay.... I gave myself a $400-$500 cap, but knew damn well I was gonna spend $500 and above.... After I saw the ACA, I knew that was the one for me.... Plus it was at a price that was surprisingly, Very comfortable:biggrin:..... When the KIT went on sale I started researching immediately for heat sinks and found plenty that would work.....I know Class-A are the hottest running amps and if you can't keep them cool they burn-up :emotion-45:...  With any amp especially a DIY project amp, it may just burn your whole life to the ground ....I have been working with metal fabrication here and there for years....Believe me I'm not taking any risks with the heat... And I like making things run as efficiently as possible.... I'm an over builder usually spending more money than I really need too to get a project finished to my liking=(AnalRetentive).... The Peace Of Mind more then makes up for the extra cash spent on projects....

Great links again wdecho...:emotion-21::cool: 

Warning, diyaudio building is contagious. Good luck with your build. You can PM me if you need advise. I always have plenty but not always good. 😊