sold Green Egg, for Pellet Smoker / Grill Opinions

joessportster

Well I liked the Egg but getting it to temp proved contentious I saw a Pit Boss Pellet Grill / Smoker and I know Traeger has those annoying 30 minute commercials bragging how great the pellet process is so I sold the Egg and used the proceeds to purchase the Pit Boss Pellet 

Who is guilty of using a Pellet Grill / Smoker and please share thoughts, Recipes, gripes etc...

15728272390_97c9473fda_k.jpg

15915563445_6fbdac8d6d_k.jpg

I inherited a Hibachi from a relative... actually made in Japan... I think they are very expensive. I still haven't used it. I probably should try it at some point. It's brand new unused.

• Like 2

I have a variety of grills and a Masterbuilt smoker. The smoker is great for adding that flavor to meat, though I like to finish most things on the grill to get that bit of char.

Having grown up in North Carolina I really missed the BBQ that is available there, but now that I have the smoker I can make my own. 

No, pellets are over priced and I have a yard with a wealth of good hardwood. I use my Masterbuilt 7 in 1 for smoking with either charcoal with hardwood for slower smoking (as opposed to true smoking at 90 degrees for many days) and a Masterbuilt electric for other things. I do NOT care for the electric mainly due to having to run the heat at least at 240 or so to get the chips to burn. Ribs, and most things, are best at 225 or so. However, I've learned to bump it up and down to get the chips going or light them separately with a propane torch.  Annoying, but better than nothing. I can't see the expense in the eggs. Good idea, but way over priced. 

Would love to have a true old fashion brick smoker, large enough for true long and slow smoke curing. 

Dave

• Like 1

trying out the grill now, turkey & chicken breast, we like to cut up for salad, chicken salad, or sandwich's usually lasts a couple days. Makes the 105 heat index a bit more bearable. No heating up the house.  I agree the pellets are over priced but hell charcoal is also (seems everything is now days)

• Moderators
11 hours ago, joessportster said:

Who is guilty of using a Pellet Grill

Not me, once but it was a friends, if anyone wants a pellet smoker get anything but  a Traeger.

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

im looking for a good quailty meat probe that works well in the grill with the lid closed. anyone have experience with a decent probe ?  I know that just opened alot of doors here :)

Maverick  ET- 732, works great has dual probes and they sell replaceable probes. One probe can be use on the grate with supplied clip or they can both can be used for meat.The wireless works inside through a few walls here and if it does lose a signal it beeps. Make sure you get the one with 2 probes, they sell it a few ways and a few different models.

Look online I found one  for $39 about a year ago, I think normally 59. Works great

Very good smoking site http://thesmokering.com/forum/

I bought two Green Mountain pellet grills last summer; one for me and one for my best friend and his wife for all the help they gave us on my mothers house after she passed.  I've got the smaller Daniel Boone and I got him the larger Jim Bowie model.  I love mine and don't really give my 14 year old Charbroil Professional propane much use now.  I've smoked beef briskets, pork butts, ribs, chicken, salmon, etc., and have been thoroughly impressed.  Pellet cost isn't that bad overall and I also added the thermal blanket to mine which helps hold heat in the winter, for sure, but has helped in the summer as well.  Grilling steaks, chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, veggies, portabella mushrooms, and on and on, have all worked out great.  I highly recommend the Green Mountain grills over the others and I shopped around for a couple of months before deciding by looking at them, using a few, and lots of reading...and watching YouTube videos.  The Green Mountain was definitely the best for the money for my needs and it's been awesome the first year..

Using 100% hickory pellets I can achieve the ultimate smoked meats in my pellet smoker. Love the thing. It is literally impossible to match it with anything else I've seen. Before the pellet smoker, I smoked with green hickory coals and or charcoal. Temperature management was always a pain in the a$s. Now with the pellet smoker I'm still cooking with 100% hickory wood and I have the benefit of a computer to manage the smoke chamber temperature! 

Brisket: I usually cook a whole brisket (nose & flat) to an internal temperature of 200 degrees F. This takes about 13 hours of smoking to get it there. I start the smoker and load the meat at 10pm and go to bed. While I'm resting peacefully in my bed, the smokers computer controls the cooking chamber temperature to whatever temperature I set automatically overnight.  Then I simply take the brisket up at 11am the next day.

I use this one. It's called the Englander.

image.png.79d0a53599e0256180b156c34e040be4.png 

I have the smaller Traeger it works wonderful the absolute best smoker I have owned. I use it with the igrill Bluetooth meat probe to get perfectly smoked meat everytime. Set the meat temp I want on the app and let the traeger do it's thing while I do mine (consume adult beverages).

I should have bought a pellet smoker years ago.