Really impressed with the Heresy III

rjp

19 hours ago, moray james said:

the largest single cabinet that could be built from a single 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood was the Cornwall

Haha ... Cornwall's could have been 6 inches taller from a single sheet :D 

• Like 1

Not sure if I would call it fatigue, though maybe that is the the technical term. It's more like a sensitization. I had a similar reaction to the Klipsch Reference Premier series. Great at first, then hmm.... These Heresys are definitely smoother than the RPs I tried, that's why I was so excited at first. I do love something about the sound and I don't want to let it go, but apparently I also dislike something about the sound. It's like they are excellent and bad at the same time. In some ways I suppose this is better than always being palatably neutral.  Maybe it's my ears.

I don't listen for more than an hour at a time and it's generally been at night so no high volume.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, rjp said:

Maybe they used it for internal bracing?

If I recall correctly, there is only a small brace right above the bottom ports.  Did forget about the risers though :D But still pretty sure :) 

This weekend I plan to try bi-amping to see if a bit less power to the mids and highs might do the trick. I have an EL84  based amp I could use for the horns and keep the EL34 on the woofers. If this works then it seems reasonable that a simple padding of the horn levels would give similar results with a single amp. I'm still feeling optimistic that these can work for me with a little tweeking. There is so much greatness in that sound.

If they cause you fatigue and you aren't listening at "loud" volumes according to you, trying toeing them out a bit.  In essence, EQing the highs down a touch without processing.   I have friends that swear that all klipsch are bright.   To me, their speakers are lifeless.... To each his or her own. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Let me correct my wording.  You are correct.  I meant toed out from what is usually recommended here, aimed straight at you or crossed.   

Ok, now it's clear. See how useful the picture was! 

I generally keep them pretty straight like in your picture, but my seating area may be a little too close. I'll try moving the couch farther away.

Couch closer to back wall or speakers closer to front wall has the same effect on the bass, enforcing it.  Pulling listening position and or seating away from the walls, may give you CRAZY imaging, but the bass will suffer.  There is always a balance. Near field listening is usually awesome on smaller monitors / speakers but isn't my preference for larger speakers 

FWIW, PWK recommended a widely spaced, floor/corner placement for all the speakers he designed (actually all speakers period) with a 45 degree toe in. If corner placement was unavailable, as in my situation, floor/wall was recommended, still with 45 degree toe in. Stands were not recommended, as all the speakers were designed as floor speakers. Reading his Dope from Hope papers on stereo reproduction, speaker placement and toe in is very interesting and helpful. If nothing else, I think he would recommend approximating the above as closely as possible.

5 hours ago, Kevin S said:

FWIW, PWK recommended a widely spaced, floor/corner placement for all the speakers he designed (actually all speakers period) with a 45 degree toe in. If corner placement was unavailable, as in my situation, floor/wall was recommended, still with 45 degree toe in. 

Then I get the impression he liked to hear as much of his horns as physically possible ;) 

I think Westcoast's suggestion was for those of us who may want a little less.

45 deg corners does sound nice though.