Gas or electric oven? What's everyone's preference if you could choose.

avguytx

2 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Propane would be the deal killer for me. If you go electric try to get an induction cooktop. I wasn't onboard until we got it. I can vouch for this unit and it is worth the money. The pic is a VIR 530. We got the VISC 530 which had an infrared broiler. Same thing otherwise.

Great oven and brand.  That's what my dad used in their huge ranch house years ago.  Unfortunately, that oven is more than I want to spend on the whole kitchen.  ;)

And it would have to be propane as there is no natural gas lines in the neighborhood close by.  So there would be a tank out back "hidden".

12 hours ago, dtel said:

That is exactly why we have one like the bottom picture, at the time I was not the one cooking and they (wife and daughter) said if they had to clean it this is what they wanted. Now I cook everything and clean the kitchen, I would like gas, in a way. But your right they are easy and quick to clean so this is tough. 

Good point

I have had all of them.  I remember those days where I'd break down and say, "I'm finally going to give this sucker a good cleaning."  Then, I'd spend an hour trying to make it look good - only to take a few days to spatter grease all over all the parts again. 

Never again.  The only factor is ease of cleaning.  The rest of it is simply not worth it.  Trying to clean all those grates and knobs isn't my cup of tea.  There are better things to do with my time.

In fact, I don't even know why we bother with built-ins.  Portable appliances are smarter and cheaper.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

I love viking... I wanted one but my budget was less than 3$k

33281579422_5d82c65bef_k.jpg

Get a piece of stainless and contact cement it to the wall between the microwave and the range. It will make the break in the backsplash way less noticable. I have the exact same condition after removing a freestanding range. I have the stainless cut but not installed yet. I ordered an 8" backguard from Viking that will solve it, but still putting the ss up.

Get a piece of stainless and contact cement it to the wall between the microwave and the range. It will make the break in the backsplash way less noticable. I have the exact same condition after removing a freestanding range. I have the stainless cut but not installed yet. I ordered an 8" backguard from Viking that will solve it, but still putting the ss up.

Better highs from gas, better lows from electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Everything has it's place.  I would opt for gas burners as my go to, but the oven, totally depends on what you're doing because at times for certain items, the drier heat of an electric oven is an advantage.  I have gas range, gas oven (it's self cleaning and convection so that's not something that is only available in electric), but I also have a microwave/convection oven combination and been eyeing some of the stand alone induction burners, so you don't have to limit yourself.

31 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Everything has it's place.  I would opt for gas burners as my go to, but the oven, totally depends on what you're doing because at times for certain items, the drier heat of an electric oven is an advantage.  I have gas range, gas oven (it's self cleaning and convection so that's not something that is only available in electric), but I also have a microwave/convection oven combination and been eyeing some of the stand alone induction burners, so you don't have to limit yourself.

Truth all over that. We also have a Breville tabletop oven that is convection and is also an Air Fryer.

Now maybe we start a separate threads on air fryers. We are loving that thing.

My wife is big on keeping the appliances all the same in the kitchen....although she isn't the one that cooks.  But I do see her point and I want them the same, too.  It makes the handles and overall look stay the same.  Whirlpool is what we're going to go with and, between our main 5 appliances (fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave, vent hood, beverage center), they come in a little over $5k with extended warranties and all sale prices.  "When" this oven fails in the next however many years, maybe 30" induction slide in ranges will be more mainstream instead of so way out there in price.  Then I'll switch.   

Right now I just don't want to spend $2k plus on an induction range (with front knob control) and I'm not a big fan of Samsung or GE as that takes our budget out of range that I want to stay in plus they don't get great reviews in my area as there aren't that many places that would do the warranty repair.  I heard that from both Lowes and Home Depot around our area.

13 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Whirlpool is what we're going to go with

I've always had good luck with them.  When we updated our kitchen 10 or 12 years ago that's the brand that we went with.  Gas stove/oven, fridge, dishwasher and microwave.  The only appliance that crapped out on us was the dishwasher after about 8 years of use.  Whirlpool didn't have a similar stainless front and black pull handle as the rest of out appliances so we ended up with a Samsung.  That dishwasher really makes me want to consider them next time it comes to replacing an appliance.  It's been flawless and is the quietest dishwasher we've ever had.  I think Samsung and Bosch appliances are pretty much the same units.

4 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

I am going to tile or build a SS back splash... I just haven't got around to it as yet

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

IMO, this is the paramount consideration.  Gas stoves are dirty.  Some might be easier to clean than others, but that's still all relative.  There isn't one I've ever seen that is simply "wipe 'n go."  

Electric/glass cooktops are so easy to keep beautifully clean.  I'd specifically look for one that has no parts that grease can infiltrate or get under.  "Wipe 'n go!"

Compare:

a-dirty-gas-cooker-A4HARH.jpg

81YRthZ9spL._SX425_.jpg

Frywall 12" spatter shield.

Frywall 12 spatter shield.jpg

On 7/2/2018 at 3:09 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you look at any serious cooking setup, the oven should be electric and stove should be gas. 

If you have a range, go gas because you use the stove more. 

In any event pre-wire for electric.  Solar is getting cheaper and we might all be on solar in 10 to 15 years. 

Absolutely correct ! If you do a lot

of baking....cake and pastries..

electric ovens are better.... For even

Baking...

and nothing beats gas for a range...