Dumb question?

baszha

I am very close to buying a Klipsch high end 5.2 system. I am a newbie to this and have done much research on the speakers which I will using with a Denon AVR6400 receiver. I know it will provide great sound for the home theater set up. My dumb question is....will I be able to use my speaker system to listen to just music, like Spotify and YouTube? Also can the speakers be turned off for watching regular TV like local and weather channel.

• Like 1

Welcome! Sure you can just select stereo or pure on the AVR to listen to two channel music. You can always turn on TV and use it's speakers but I never do it sounds bad after hearing the front Cornwalls. What speakers are you going with?

Thanks Mike for your response

I will be using an all Klipsch set up.

2 RP280F Floor speakers

1 RP 450C center speaker

2 RP 250S surround speakers

2 115SW sub-woofers

I have 2 RP 15 speakers and a 10inch sub-woofer hooked up to my PC and the sound is fantastic for a computer system. So I am a firm believer for Klipsch speakers. Knowing now that I can listen to the home theater system for just music when not watching movies is fantastic!  That will double my systems use. One more question.... if when I select the AVR to two channel music, will all my speakers be pumping out sound, or just the front left and right and subs?

For music only, preamp and amp or integrated amp with a dedicated home theater bypass IMO would be your best option there as the receiver is still acting as your preamp.  Or you could upgrade to separates with a dedicated how theater processor and separate multi channel amp.  All depends on budget and preferences I suppose 

3 hours ago, baszha said:

I am very close to buying a Klipsch high end 5.2 system. I am a newbie to this and have done much research on the speakers which I will using with a Denon AVR6400 receiver. I know it will provide great sound for the home theater set up. My dumb question is....will I be able to use my speaker system to listen to just music, like Spotify and YouTube? Also can the speakers be turned off for watching regular TV like local and weather channel.

1- Yes, I do it all the time.

2- Yes, but why would you want to? 

It looks like you will have surplus amps so that biamping might be possible, but I did not find that that Denon had an electronic crossover built-in to facilitate biamping.  Again, I ask why would you want to?  You will be driving each speaker with 2 to 10 watts.  The power amps will be so far below their capability, biamping looks fruitless.  Biamping's original purpose was to get more power into a speaker system when amps were too small for large performance halls (i.e. when a Crown DC-300A was a muscle amp).  Now that 14,000 watt amps (https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/i-tech-4x3500hd) are available, biamping, or more, is used as much for time alignment as anything. 

Complexity for its own sake is always counterproductive. 

Thank you John,

I am a bit confused, are you saying the Denon AVR6400 will have a surplus amps but a shortage of Watts to do the job with my Klipsch speakers I have chosen. The Denon AVR6400 has 140 watts per channel. How does that equate to 2 to 10 watts per speaker. It does also have 11 channels. I was under the impression that the AVR6400 had more than enough power to power  the speakers. The reason I wanted to be able to listen to just music was simply to get the benefit of the great sound in multiple modes. do you think I will need  a separate amp or pre amp to drive the speakers to there best performance levels.

John was saying that given the efficiency of the speakers you will only be using 2-10 watts. Also know that most if not ALL AVR state their wattage with only 2 channels driven so for stereo that's what you get. Adding more channels takes that wattage down from the 140.

Thanks USNRET,

so a stated wattage of 140 watts per channel with 2 channels driven in a stereo is really 70 watts per channel?? Can a speaker rated for say 100 watts really perform using only 2-10 watts. Trying to learn this stuff before I spend a bunch of money. How can I know if the Denon AVR6400 {which I thought was more than powerful enough} to drive the Klipsch speakers I have chosen be up to the task. I want power to spare, not barely enough.

Forum Veteran,

You are right, I could just listen first too see where I am at. As long as the AVR has pre-out/pre-in plugs to use a pre-amp I should be okay. The Denon AVR6400 claims it has plenty of power with no need for outside amplification. But that would depend on speakers used I would think. I don't need to worry about the 2 15in. sub-woofers due to them being powered. So we are talking about two front floor speakers, a center, and two surround. Five channels. So with a power rating of 140 watts per channel with two channels driven, how many watts will that give me per channel for five channels.

Forum Veteran,

"Forum Veteran" is a title given to forum member "Westcoastdrums" by the Klipsch Forum based on number of posts.  Look under your forum name and it says "Newbie".

Enough of all that, welcome to the forum.  You are on your way to having one rocking system.

Bill

• Moderators

Welcome, and never worry about asking a dumb question, it's not dumb if you don't know the answer. 

Sounds like you have a good plan, should sound great, never be afraid to ask questions, you will have many when it's time to set up everything, it's normal because many receivers are different and you want it to sound as good as it possibly can. ASK away

• Like 1

Forum Veteran,

You are right, I could just listen first too see where I am at. As long as the AVR has pre-out/pre-in plugs to use a pre-amp I should be okay. The Denon AVR6400 claims it has plenty of power with no need for outside amplification. But that would depend on speakers used I would think. I don't need to worry about the 2 15in. sub-woofers due to them being powered. So we are talking about two front floor speakers, a center, and two surround. Five channels. So with a power rating of 140 watts per channel with two channels driven, how many watts will that give me per channel for five channels.

Honestly, its almost impossible to find these figures from Denon. I would say its probably around 40 Watts per channel with 5 speakers driven. Make sure to set all the speakers to "Small" so the Subs will handle all content under 80hz which will free up some amp power. I think you will find the AVR sufficient as it is. I would run just the AVR and you can always add a power amp down the road if you really feel like you need one. Also, good for you for not skimping on the subs. Those dual 15'' subwoofers will drop the floor out of your room.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, willland said:

"Forum Veteran" is a title given to forum member "Westcoastdrums" by the Klipsch Forum based on number of posts.  Look under your forum name and it says "Newbie".

Enough of all that, welcome to the forum.  You are on your way to having one rocking system.

Bill

Thanks Bill, and thank you for the heads up on members names. I am very excited about learning this stuff on home theater. I am completely redoing a large room just for my new system. New carpet, new paint, new furniture and even art for the walls. This system of Klipsch speakers and Denon AVR will ice the cake. It,s good to know my research is paying off and my system will rock!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

Welcome, and never worry about asking a dumb question, it's not dumb if you don't know the answer. 

Sounds like you have a good plan, should sound great, never be afraid to ask questions, you will have many when it's time to set up everything, it's normal because many receivers are different and you want it to sound as good as it possibly can. ASK away

Thanks dtel for the welcome

34 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Honestly, its almost impossible to find these figures from Denon. I would say its probably around 40 Watts per channel with 5 speakers driven. Make sure to set all the speakers to "Small" so the Subs will handle all content under 80hz which will free up some amp power. I think you will find the AVR sufficient as it is. I would run just the AVR and you can always add a power amp down the road if you really feel like you need one. Also, good for you for not skimping on the subs. Those dual 15'' subwoofers will drop the floor out of your room.

Hey thanks twk123 for the figure of around 40watts per channel with 5 speakers driven and setting all the speakers to small. it,s good to have a estimate of how many watts each channel will be getting. I cant wait to get my system all together after my room is completed. installing new carpet, new furniture, paint, complete make over. I like your comment on my 15" sub,s...that's what I was hoping for.

Sounds like you are good to go but I do have a thought for you.
Since 5.2 is all you are going to use (not ATMOS or any of that spend more money / more speakers stuff) you might consider going with a 5 channel pre-pro and a separate 5 channel amp. I eventually went that way after several AVRs.

Why? AVR amps share one power supply, that is why the wattage lowers with each load applied. Surround processing is constantly being "upgraded". It would be cheaper in the long run to get a quality amp and change just the pre-pro when it gets long in the tooth or if you want to swap out. The amp will be good for like ever.

Sounds like you are good to go but I do have a thought for you.
Since 5.2 is all you are going to use (not ATMOS or any of that spend more money / more speakers stuff) you might consider going with a 5 channel pre-pro and a separate 5 channel amp. I eventually went that way after several AVRs.

Why? AVR amps share one power supply, that is why the wattage lowers with each load applied. Surround processing is constantly being "upgraded". It would be cheaper in the long run to get a quality amp and change just the pre-pro when it gets long in the tooth or if you want to swap out. The amp will be good for like ever.

For like ever? Is that a technical term?