Dumb question?

baszha

10 hours ago, baszha said:

I am very close to buying a Klipsch high end 5.2 system. I am a newbie to this and have done much research on the speakers which I will using with a Denon AVR6400 receiver. I know it will provide great sound for the home theater set up. My dumb question is....will I be able to use my speaker system to listen to just music, like Spotify and YouTube? Also can the speakers be turned off for watching regular TV like local and weather channel.

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

And I'd think of course you can. A speaker is a speaker.

Was that your question? 

John Kuthe...

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

Sounds like you are good to go but I do have a thought for you.
Since 5.2 is all you are going to use (not ATMOS or any of that spend more money / more speakers stuff) you might consider going with a 5 channel pre-pro and a separate 5 channel amp. I eventually went that way after several AVRs.

Why? AVR amps share one power supply, that is why the wattage lowers with each load applied. Surround processing is constantly being "upgraded". It would be cheaper in the long run to get a quality amp and change just the pre-pro when it gets long in the tooth or if you want to swap out. The amp will be good for like ever.

what exactly is a pre-pro

13 hours ago, willland said:

"Forum Veteran" is a title given to forum member "Westcoastdrums" by the Klipsch Forum based on number of posts.  Look under your forum name and it says "Newbie".

Enough of all that, welcome to the forum.  You are on your way to having one rocking system.

Bill

Bill, your family room is set up nice!! I bet it sounds great!

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

Since 5.2 is all you are going to use (not ATMOS or any of that spend more money / more speakers stuff) you might consider going with a 5 channel pre-pro and a separate 5 channel amp. I eventually went that way after several AVRs.

Why? AVR amps share one power supply, that is why the wattage lowers with each load applied. Surround processing is constantly being "upgraded". It would be cheaper in the long run to get a quality amp and change just the pre-pro when it gets long in the tooth or if you want to swap out. The amp will be good for like ever.

By the way...I am ex-Navy too...Gulf of Tonkin 72/73 USS RANGER CVA-61 VF-21 The Freelancers AMS3 Plane Captain

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, USNRET said:

Ahh..interesting...so you are saying since I am only going to be using 5 channels save my money on the Denon 11.2  channel AVR and put that money towards a separate amp. To be honest the only reason I wanted the Denon was because it had 140wpc 2c driven. Just out of curiosity what 5 channel AVR would you suggest with which amp?  Oh I need to tell you I have also upgraded my speakers to be buying to the Klipsch...

2 RF-7lll,s

1 RC-64lll

2 RP250s

2 R-115SW

I want plenty of power to get the most from this set. I just wasn't sure if the Denon AVR 6400h give the performance the speakers are ready for.

4 hours ago, baszha said:

Just out of curiosity what 5 channel AVR would you suggest with which amp?  

Just to clarify; if you are going to purchase separates, you need to eliminate the term "AVR" and think preamp/processor to amplifier. The preamp/processor will control the output to a basic 5 channel amplifier. All processing takes place in the pre/pro. Also, with a pre/pro you could have a modest amp to drive the center and two surrounds and a much more powerful amp to power the L/R speakers. All adjustments will be made within the pre/pro (surround, balance, stereo direct, etc.) 

^^^^What Frank1938 said^^^
Grab a used (or a deal on a new / refurb) 5 channel power amp that has clean power. Klipsch WILL output noise if present due to great efficiency (been there, done that) a 500 WPC monoblock that hisses is not good but a good low noise at idle sounds great. My opinion is that the RF-7s would like to see clean power somewhere around 150-200 in full theater mode but perhaps less would work depending on room size / cubic foot volume and your listening habits.

I have found that HT and 2 channel are two very different animals. What sounded great in HT was crap in stereo.HT is much more forgiving. 

There are plenty of preamp processors (pre-pro) on the market that will address 5.1 or 5.2 (5.1 with 2 subs can be daisy chained to 5.2 in HT mode or summed stereo). 
Questions?

7 hours ago, baszha said:

Ahh..interesting...so you are saying since I am only going to be using 5 channels save my money on the Denon 11.2  channel AVR and put that money towards a separate amp. To be honest the only reason I wanted the Denon was because it had 140wpc 2c driven. Just out of curiosity what 5 channel AVR would you suggest with which amp?  Oh I need to tell you I have also upgraded my speakers to be buying to the Klipsch...

2 RF-7lll,s

1 RC-64lll

2 RP250s

2 R-115SW

I want plenty of power to get the most from this set. I just wasn't sure if the Denon AVR 6400h give the performance the speakers are ready for.

First, welcome to the forums!  :emotion-19:

Second, what a tremendous upgrade of speakers!  Wow!  Great decision.  :emotion-21:

The Denon 6400 by all accounts is a powerhouse AVR, is known to sound great with Klipsch and should be able to drive your Reference package to ear splitting levels with ease and still have plenty of dynamic headroom.  If you later decide you want more power the 6400 has pre-outs for every channel and can easily be used with an external amp.  I suggest trying the Denon first in stock form and see how you like it.

I think you will like it.

I am very close to buying a Klipsch high end 5.2 system. I am a newbie to this and have done much research on the speakers which I will using with a Denon AVR6400 receiver. I know it will provide great sound for the home theater set up. My dumb question is....will I be able to use my speaker system to listen to just music, like Spotify and YouTube? Also can the speakers be turned off for watching regular TV like local and weather channel.

You will be fine with your Denon AVR. When choosing stereo it will perform like a stereo receiver. It will be fine in multi channel with power to spare. Don’t over think this, you will be happy[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Frank1938 said:

Just to clarify; if you are going to purchase separates, you need to eliminate the term "AVR" and think preamp/processor to amplifier. The preamp/processor will control the output to a basic 5 channel amplifier. All processing takes place in the pre/pro. Also, with a pre/pro you could have a modest amp to drive the center and two surrounds and a much more powerful amp to power the L/R speakers. All adjustments will be made within the pre/pro (surround, balance, stereo direct, etc.) 

Thank you Frank1938 for your advice on the AVR term

8 hours ago, USNRET said:

^^^^What Frank1938 said^^^
Grab a used (or a deal on a new / refurb) 5 channel power amp that has clean power. Klipsch WILL output noise if present due to great efficiency (been there, done that) a 500 WPC monoblock that hisses is not good but a good low noise at idle sounds great. My opinion is that the RF-7s would like to see clean power somewhere around 150-200 in full theater mode but perhaps less would work depending on room size / cubic foot volume and your listening habits.

I have found that HT and 2 channel are two very different animals. What sounded great in HT was crap in stereo.HT is much more forgiving. 

There are plenty of preamp processors (pre-pro) on the market that will address 5.1 or 5.2 (5.1 with 2 subs can be daisy chained to 5.2 in HT mode or summed stereo). 
Questions?

USNRET...thank you for your comment. So are you saying if I buy a 5 channel amp it should be 150-200 wpc to power those speakers

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

First, welcome to the forums!  :emotion-19:

Second, what a tremendous upgrade of speakers!  Wow!  Great decision.  :emotion-21:

The Denon 6400 by all accounts is a powerhouse AVR, is known to sound great with Klipsch and should be able to drive your Reference package to ear splitting levels with ease and still have plenty of dynamic headroom.  If you later decide you want more power the 6400 has pre-outs for every channel and can easily be used with an external amp.  I suggest trying the Denon first in stock form and see how you like it.

I think you will like it.

wvu80...thankyou for your comment. I think I will take your advice and listen to the Denon first before I think about the amp. I am kinda getting ahead of myself here I think. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

You will be fine with your Denon AVR. When choosing stereo it will perform like a stereo receiver. It will be fine in multi channel with power to spare. Don’t over think this, you will be happyemoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Tony...I hope you are right and the Denon is all I need. but it is nice to know if not...I can upgrade my power with a sperate amp. I will put the set up together and see how she sounds and go from there.