2-Way Active + HT Set up

rplace

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

Have you obtained a crossover or decided which one you will obtain? When I got my Xilica 4080 I got the schematic for the Analog I/O because I wanted to make sure I was hooking up everything correctly. So I have those schematics if you go with Xilica.

I'm kind of leaning toward Xilica just because it seems like all the Jube guys use them and I figure that is a pretty good endorsement. Plus I figure I can bug you all with my stupid questions. I'm pretty sure once I get my hands on one I'll be off and running but more questions than answers in my head right now. @Rudy81 was super helpful with my Oris questions and he has an Ashly. So looking at them too. Another forum member offered me an EV at what seems like a really fair deal but at 2 in 6 out I think it would just be a stepping stone to get things going for 2-channel only then I'd need to start over for integrating HT and 2-channel. @joessportster had a great idea with the Crown amp and built in DSP. However the guy I got the Oris horns from said they really need to be time aligned. Not sure if I can do that with the DSP in the Crown or not. Long winded way of saying I want a Xillia 8080 I think but have not decided yet. Somebody just tell me what to do and be done with all the torture ;)

4 minutes ago, rplace said:

Crossover. Surely seems like the more ins/outs the better. Lots of online pix of multiple XOs in a rack. I get how the Ins/Outs work now. But if you have multiple XOs will the computer need to be connected to each one? Or if you have multiples of the same brand can your hook them all together? Say you had 3 identical XOs that were 4 in 8 out could you see it on the software as 12 in 24 out? I see many with ethernet. Sees like a switch and all hooked up might allow the software to show you everything in one place, not 3 different devices.

If you go with Xilica, say 3 4080s they will appear as three separate units in the software app(XConsole). You will give each one a unique I.P. address. You will also need an Ethernet switch to connect it all up. Or I suppose each crossover could have a ethernet to wifi dongle hooked up to it, then use your wifi router to talk to them. I do not think the Xilicas are wifi enabled.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rplace said:

Microphone for taking room readings. REW seems to be the software I've read the most about. Recommendations on a Mic??? 

I recommend a UMIK-1.  They're already calibrated (you find the calibration file on the miniDSP website when it arrives and you read its serial number) and it has digital output directly from the back end - already calibrated to SPL.  This solves a host of headaches that your typical calibration microphones+mixers have. Amazon has them, as well as miniDSP (the OEM). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I recommend a UMIK-1.  They're already calibrated (you find the calibration file on the miniDSP website when it arrives and you read its serial number) and it has digital output directly from the back end - already calibrated to SPL.  This solves a host of headaches that your typical calibration microphones+mixers have. Amazon has them, as well as miniDSP (the OEM). 

Perfect, that part is settled. The guy I bought the Oris from had one and it seemed pretty slick/easy. I was leaning toward that but wanted to hear form you all before I threw that out as an option.

48 minutes ago, babadono said:

C'mon guys, spend this guys money:)

Check! The wallet draining has begun. 8" full range Neodymium Drivers, UMK-1 Microphone, 100' speaker wire, banana plugs (don't tell PWK on me) all since my previous post.

I'm really excited to hear something totally different. I've been a 3-guy forever. Had the Khorns since 2004/5 or there about. We need a map with pins on all the Jube owners. I'd really like to hear a pair. You guys are welcome for a Khorn vs Oris audition right up to the moment one of them has to go.

Thanks for all the help so far!

1 hour ago, rplace said:

But if you have multiple XOs will the computer need to be connected to each one?

Not sure about the Xilica since I haven't looked.....but with the EV Dx38 for example, it has a parallel out so whatever input goes into say, Channel 1, is going to have an output for channel 1 which you can daisy chain to another unit.

(it would be full signal presuming you are coming directly from preamp with full (unaltered) signal)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I've got a Furman Power Conditioner on a dedicated 20amp circuit with 8 outlets but with all my amps being separate 2-channels they quickly get consumed. Agree that having all the power strips is difficult on the eyes. Nice to start fresh as you did.

I had some extra space so I ran a 50 amp secondary distribution box to my garage and the HT room ....no, not the room, the the HT system itself, has four (4) dedicated 20 amp circuits.  I don't have to use them (I do given how I have it configured) 

This is what was suggested to me...  since it had four circuits.....and four circuits dovetailed with what I could do....that's what I did.  I have a space in the garage with some extra wire there where I could snip the wire and add this into the food chain.  Not done it yet, not felt a need for it yet.

You may have seen/read this before....but overall, I wanted to simplify things as much as I could for the wife so all outlets (all 43,592 of them) are split into top outlet switched and bottom half always hot.  Now I can dictate what gets constant power and what can be turned on/off at the wall.  She or anyone can walk in, hit 4 wall switches and everything is on....likewise, when leaving the room, can hit them again and kill everything.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

do you still have that map/list and is it updated?  Maybe time to resurface it.

There is a thread....  Chris was probably the last one to update it....  I "see" it on my search (search for "Auditions"), it's down several as 

"Jubilee locations for possibleauditions"

but it doesn't yet download for me.  

So, here's the last spreadsheet I have.

(deleted since the link seems to work as per below and would likely be more up to date)      

• Like 1

I haven't used or heard one of those.  I believe that @mark1101 has used the 4.8SP, but I'm not sure.  I believe that those are first or perhaps second generation DSP crossover models with 48 kHz sample rate/channel, along with ElectroVoice and most of the miniDSP and other DSP crossovers on the market.  Yamaha (SP2060) and Xilica (all models) run 96 kHz/channel. For whatever reason, I hear a difference in the detail with the Yamahas and Xilicas, but it could also be the detail design of their analog sections.

Note that my first inclination nowadays is to put a little more money into the DSP crossover.  I'd rather squeeze money out of the upstream electronics (which make a much smaller difference in the sound quality, in my experience--especially disc players and turntables) rather than compromise on the detail sound quality of the crossover.  YMMV.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Chris A I'd like to do this once and do it right versus buying and rebuying. That said I don't see many/any Xilica 4080/8080 for sale in either the XP or SP models. The Neutrino line of Xilica is referred to as open architecture while the XP/SP are fixed. From what I can comprehend by reading the Neutrino has Dante which seems to be a way to use Ethernet to connected all your "things" together versus XLR cables. Seems to me like solving problems for large venues with tons of gear. Not really something I need. I'm thinking I need a 4 in 8 out at a minimum and a 8 in 8 out ideally with software as on option for editing over just the interface on the unit (personal preference). That keeps brining me back to Xilica XP/SP which I just can't see to find many for sale or Ashly. I'm really on the fence between getting something more simple to get me up and running with 2-channel only and something that I can grow into more long term to integrate both the 2-channel side and the HT.

Microphone arrived over the weekend and 8" drivers for the Oris horns should be here today. I need to make up my mind and pull the trigger soon on the XO.  

IMO I've got some decent gear upstream so think I am covered there. I've also read some things about the Minidsp being a bit noisier than Xilica/EV/Ashly and the like so I think Minidsp is out.

Thanks to all for all the help so far and reading all my ramblings.

I believe that Cory has used the miniDSP 2x4 HD ($200 on Amazon with a box). Note that the difference in price between a Xilica XP-2040 (2-in, 4-out) and a XP-8080 (8-in, 8-out) isn't twice as expensive. Their new prices are actually low relative to other brands: about half of what everyone else wants to charge for the same I/O capabilities.  Cory, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, can help with pricing information.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am currently using Ashy 3.6SP and 4.8SP processors and the Xilica 4080.  The Ashlys are 3-4 years older but sound very good still.  They have been bulletproof and I am still very happy with the sound and performance.  I don't have any reason to replace them.

That said, the Xilica is equivalent to getting a new computer and I recommend it.  It is new and more refined on certain features.  It seems more sensitive (I was driving with a home audio tube amp) and I believe it does have slightly better fidelity.  It has a much better PC tool (Xconsole) to control it.  That is all I use.  The front panel is more complicated to use than the Ashly.  The Ashly PC tool (Protea) is inferior by comparison but the Ashly front panel is a breeze to use.

• Thanks 2