Greg Roberts of Volti likes Border Patrol amps

tube fanatic

Interesting review.  The amp measurements are not very inspiring but, as is mentioned, measurements never tell the real story about why certain amp/speaker combinations sound so outstanding:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-p21-exd-power-amplifier

If I had a nickel for every "perfectly" measuring SS amp which sounded like absolute crap with most Klipsch speakers I could have retired many years sooner!

Maynard

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I am using the Border Patrol P21’s with my Cornwall 1’s.  Not sure of the specs but they are dead quiet and sound great  I first heard them awhile back at RMAF in the Volti room.  I think the BP amps are all a good match for Klipsch speakers.

Come on gent's. There are many amps that will sound just as good as these amps and save a few coins.  The real question is how much should we pay for an amp paire to our horn speakers.  It will vary by person but, the SQ will be fairly close to something 1/2 the price.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KlipschFan61 said:

Spending more just means your have less. Believing that the more you spend guarantees 'highest quality with no compromises' is naive at best.

=== I said in many instances not every instance.

Buy a Best Buy receiver/amp and compare to a First Watt or Pass Labs and tell me that difference is being "naive". 

I think there are other less expensive options for 300b amps for Klipsch speakers.  When I got the p21’s I had 4ohm speakers and needed a little more power than 8 watts.  I have heard the Coincident Frankenstein 300b SET’s and they would be a great match with Klipsch speakers and are around $6000.  iMHO the quality of the power supply makes a huge difference.  Many of the lower priced 300b amps seem to sacrifice in this area. 

Western Electric is coming out with a new stereo 300B amp, probably early next year, with a reasonable price. I heard a prototype early in the summer and it was very good. Had a solid state PS though, all on a single PCB. The new 300B tubes will be rolling out before too long as well.

Bruce

• Moderators

Edit; Just because I don't trust or care for the way he went about starting his business here or running it later, and things he claimed and said here it's best if I edited what I first posted. 

Sorry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1