Greg Roberts of Volti likes Border Patrol amps

tube fanatic

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Edit; Just because I don't trust or care for the way he went about starting his business here or running it later, and things he claimed and said here it's best if I edited what I first posted. 

Sorry

I met Greg. A serious woodworker and opportunist . I would not buy a used car from him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

I met Greg. A serious woodworker and opportunist . I would not buy a used car from him. 

He is a brilliant woodwooker and craftsman but selling Klipsch modified speakers... Is that cool? At least not very original.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dtel said:

Edit; Just because I don't trust or care for the way he went about starting his business here or running it later, and things he claimed and said here it's best if I edited what I first posted. 

Sorry

I like the first version of your post better.  Sucks to be a mod sometimes doesn't it.  LOL.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I have seen many pictures of his copied Klipsch designs, nice woodworking always, that was never a question.

I can do that woodworking also, but I can't design something like that, just like him. 

• Like 3

rough crowd... while I'll not defend his very liberal way using parts PWK designs in his speakers. His speakers are different in many important ways to the stock klipsch designs. IMHO his big mistake that ruffled so may feathers is the way he trashed the hand that fed him in some ways...   

• Like 4

On 10/15/2018 at 2:18 AM, derrickdj1 said:

Come on gent's. There are many amps that will sound just as good as these amps and save a few coins.  The real question is how much should we pay for an amp paire to our horn speakers.  It will vary by person but, the SQ will be fairly close to something 1/2 the price.

They lost me at cryogenic. My Hypex monobloc kits (NC-400's) will STOMP any frikkin' overpriced tube amp out there any day of the week on absolute power and neutrality (without doubling as a space heater)......unless you prefer the overpriced "euphoric" distortions of tubes, then get on with it. It's your money.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, seti said:

He is a brilliant woodwooker and craftsman but selling Klipsch modified speakers... Is that cool? At least not very original.

His rounded/folded short horn that looks like a prettier LaScala is actually a non-Klipsch design from some guy in Canada, AFAICR. The drivers used are from various European vendors and he also builds the wood mid horns based on a classic Bruce Edgar method published in circa 1980.

32 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

His rounded/folded short horn that looks like a prettier LaScala is actually a non-Klipsch design from some guy in Canada, AFAICR.

I wish that Greg was still on the forum to set the record straight about this. I have email correspondence from him in early 2017 in which he me tells the backstory, but I do not have his permission to share the information. I feel safe in saying that none of the stories about Volti loudspeaker designs that I have seen on the forum are completely correct, and many are just plain wrong.

• Like 1