Greg Roberts of Volti likes Border Patrol amps

tube fanatic

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, CECAA850 said:

I like the first version of your post better.  Sucks to be a mod sometimes doesn't it.  LOL.

I am fairly sure that whatever Elden first wrote isn't far from what I have thought.

Greg would have you think his is the Greatest, but many long term players know he isn't even a pimple on Roy's backside let alone Paul's and would be absolutely NOTHING without using the knowledge obtained from other right here on this forum.

Does that win me another 30 day vacation from posting again?

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

I wish that Greg was still on the forum to set the record straight about this. I have email correspondence from him in early 2017 in which he me tells the backstory, but I do not have his permission to share the information. I feel safe in saying that none of the stories about Volti loudspeaker designs that I have seen on the forum are completely correct, and many are just plain wrong.

How many ways can one do a W bin anyhow? No one ever accused Peavey of copying the LaScala, so maybe it's a bit of jealousy of a guy who's making a living building basically about 2 Speakers a month at the highest level he knows how to do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Greg [...] would be absolutely NOTHING without using the knowledge obtained from other right here on this forum.

I am one of those "others", and I don't resent it. I am an engineer, and engineers make their living by providing knowledge to others. Why should it be any different just because the recipient is Volti?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

I am one of those "others", and I don't resent it. I am an engineer, and engineers make their living by providing knowledge to others. Why should it be any different just because the recipient is Volti?

Just because yoy are ONE of those "others" Edgar, doesn't mean you are the ONLY one, nor does it mean that nobody else resents it now does it??

• Moderators

To me it was not what he did but more of how he talked about others who helped him and he had copied.

I don't care what he makes and sells, just have the decency to not trash the people before you who helped. Another little problem is new people see him and don't know the story and are led to believe he's all that, and want to push his claims not realizing they're 99% not his ideas or designs.

Someone once asked if Volti was going to have a set up at the Klipsch Pilgrimage :o All that was said was No not if I had anything to do with it, and we were organizing it.

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't care what he makes and sells, just have the decency to not trash the people before you who helped.

I have to concede that point. Greg's not always the easiest person to get along with. But the Volti products appear to be first-rate ... no matter who actually designed them.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

How many ways can one do a W bin anyhow? No one ever accused Peavey of copying the LaScala, so maybe it's a bit of jealousy of a guy who's making a living building basically about 2 Speakers a month at the highest level he knows how to do.

Hogwash! No originality but spin offs of La Scala and Cornwalls. He started restoring Klipsch speakers and just happens to produce klipsch like products.  In the voices of Click and Clack BOGUS! Looks like a duck quacks like a duck although it is a beautiful duck perhaps a beautiful stolen duck. If you think that is cool more power to ya. I'm not jealous I just think it is

image.thumb.png.efb90c0b1d61e04331eeae7e68b59719.png

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Edgar said:

I have to concede that point. Greg's not always the easiest person to get along with. But the Volti products appear to be first-rate ... no matter who actually designed them.

Irrespective of how he got there, the key word that is missing here is COMMITMENT!

Like all people who go to "high end" shows, he puts up his 10 grand fee, hooks up his latest speakers, and hopes for a sale. I helped him at one of his shows about 4 years ago, so I have see first hand how it's done. Can't blame a guy for trying to earn a living doing what he likes rather than doing something he grew to hate.

Besides, pretty much all designs have been done already and are just copies of other designs. Look at any Stereophile magazine and all speakers look the same. The only radical innovator in the speaker building business today is Tom Danley but most of his stuff is designed for large or outdoor venues.

There are no writers who don't read, no musicians who don't listen to the music of others before them. The same is true of loudspeaker design, which is easier than ever with Hornresp.

I'm sure he also like Border Patrol Amps because they sound good and are proportional to the asking price of his products, which take way longer to build than most. But hey, none of us are his customers anyhow. We are just a bunch of Klipscheads with opinions, like armchair quarterbacks who don't have to throw a football with 300 lb line backers trying to crush them on live TV.

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

You know, I am reminded of the old "Mercedes ... Granada" lookalike ad campaign. I suspect that many here are too young to remember it. https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/05/23/the-ford-granada-like-a-mercedes-benz-450se-with-a-16319-rebate/comment-page-1/

I've never looked at a Granada and once thought of Mercedes.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/21/2018 at 7:48 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I am fairly sure that whatever Elden first wrote isn't far from what I have thought.

Greg would have you think his is the Greatest, but many long term players know he isn't even a pimple on Roy's backside let alone Paul's and would be absolutely NOTHING without using the knowledge obtained from other right here on this forum.

Does that win me another 30 day vacation from posting again?

Roger

No, because you didn't use profanity coupled with a misogynist comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read the article and 1 thing strikes me as funny. The claim is super neutral ? The reviewer claims he is comparing the amp to others he has had with music he is accustomed to. It is BS to call the amp neutral as compared to A or B you can only call anything neutral if you were present at the master recording session and are comparing the product to that. But of course that brings up another whole pot of beans Musical Memory and all...............At 9-14K, The amp better be cooking breakfast every morning. Cost more than my whole system and I would bet it just sounds DIFFERENT when all is said and done, not necessarily better.

• Like 1