Greg Roberts of Volti likes Border Patrol amps

tube fanatic

14 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I read the article and 1 thing strikes me as funny. The claim is super neutral ? The reviewer claims he is comparing the amp to others he has had with music he is accustomed to. It is BS to call the amp neutral as compared to A or B you can only call anything neutral if you were present at the master recording session and are comparing the product to that. But of course that brings up another whole pot of beans Musical Memory and all...............At 9-14K, The amp better be cooking breakfast every morning. Cost more than my whole system and I would bet it just sounds DIFFERENT when all is said and done, not necessarily better.

Neutral to me means that the equipment isn't calling attention to itself... gets out of the way of the music so to speak... not too warm and not too bright.  Of course, those are all just words that mean different things to different people.  If your amp is running hot enough to cook breakfast you might want to check the bias.   If your amp is actually cooking breakfast I'm thinking you might consider separates.  If you don't mind used I hear the Jetsons fired Rosie.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, joessportster said:

I read the article and 1 thing strikes me as funny. The claim is super neutral ? The reviewer claims he is comparing the amp to others he has had with music he is accustomed to. It is BS to call the amp neutral as compared to A or B you can only call anything neutral if you were present at the master recording session and are comparing the product to that. But of course that brings up another whole pot of beans Musical Memory and all...............

And actually that won't even get you back to whatever "neutral" is because it will depend on what studio monitors they were using

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joessportster said:

I read the article and 1 thing strikes me as funny. The claim is super neutral ? The reviewer claims he is comparing the amp to others he has had with music he is accustomed to. It is BS to call the amp neutral as compared to A or B you can only call anything neutral if you were present at the master recording session and are comparing the product to that. But of course that brings up another whole pot of beans Musical Memory and all...............At 9-14K, The amp better be cooking breakfast every morning. Cost more than my whole system and I would bet it just sounds DIFFERENT when all is said and done, not necessarily better.

You are correct, Sir!