Placement for Heresy III's...

I was interested in a pair of the Heresy III's but had a question on room placement. My listening area does not allow for rear wall placement so the speakers would be maybe 3' into the room. Will this hurt or adversely effect the sound? It's fine for my Magnepan MMG's of course who need that space but not certain on the Heresy's before I drop the $$.

Thanks!

The closer to the wall the better (up to a point), but I guess the question would be what is going to be your listening position, and how far apart will they be placed?  Photo of your room and projected positioning would help.

Mine are two feet away from the back wall and they have solid bass.  The closer to the back wall your listening position is, the more bass is reinforced as well.  They are not bass heavy speakers, but they certainly have great bass output in my opinion.   Never once listening to to them have I ever get the need for a touch of eq 

• Like 1

You will lose some low end but you might be able to improve imaging this way.  I'd go for it and think about subs if you like.  So many seem to be interested in more bass but I would think they should be more interested in EVEN bass.  

Spot on in my case.   Bass on the speakers closer to the back wall increases notably but started to sound a bit bloated and boomy. You may be surprised how low in the bass these dig, I certainly am from time to time. 

Deep bass seems to be the fad now. An honest distortionless bass is important to me.Back in the 70s and 80s treble was the fad. Everybody wanted those sizzling highs. You could buy super tweeters. Now it’s all about boomy bass and subwoofers. Hereseys offer a good honest bass suitable for most music. Toe them in for better imaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three pairs of Heresy III's.  I find they to be rather unfussy about placement.  In one system I put them on 8" high stands and they are about 8" from the rear wall.  In the other two applications they are on the standard stands, and also about 8" from the rear wall.  Really no big difference in sound.

I have three pairs of Heresy III's.  I find they to be rather unfussy about placement.  In one system I put them on 8" high stands and they are about 8" from the rear wall.  In the other two applications they are on the standard stands, and also about 8" from the rear wall.  Really no big difference in sound.

Put them in the corners on the floor toed in. That’s where they want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

FWIW, PWK recommended a widely spaced, floor/corner placement for all the speakers he designed (actually all speakers period) with a 45 degree toe in. If corner placement was unavailable, as in my situation, floor/wall was recommended, still with 45 degree toe in. Stands were not recommended, as all the speakers were designed as floor speakers. Reading his Dope from Hope papers on stereo reproduction, speaker placement and toe in is very interesting and helpful. If nothing else, I think he would recommend approximating the above as closely as possible. 

Thanks for the above. In my limited available space optimal placement isn't possible. Even with my current Magnepan MMGi's it's a bit of a compromise. They need to be further out in the listening room where the Klipsch is a bit of the opposite. I love the sound of the MMGi's but as I primarily listen to electric blues and classic rock, they don't quite have that "bite" if you will. Sense my interest in the Heresy III's....

• 1 year later...

The bass is fast and tight but I wanted a bit more. I don't really have the room for a sub (WAF). I added a Schiit Loki and tweaked the bass up a bit and toned down the midrange a bit. Sounds better to my ears. 

Purists would call it heresy, but this IS a Heresy already. 😄

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

The Heresy Speakers should be placed when you current pair of speakers are , and at about 18 inches off from the floor on stands

I guess he might still need this advice, but it was posted almost two years ago.