Heresy III: to bi-wire or not to bi-wire...

ironman

I have never tried bi wiring believing there would be little if any benefit. And I am just starting to get involved with bi amping. In bi amping the crossover is before the amplifiers and therefore all the reactive components of the crossovers are eliminated. But in bi wiring the speaker crossover is still in the circuit. The connection of the different portions of the crossover is just being moved back to the amp instead of at the speaker. Depending on the length of the speaker wire runs this may have an audibly perceptible effect. In a previous thread a link to an article that explored the effects scientifically was presented. If I can find it I will re post it here.

Oh and BTW when I posted that the article may have merit I was scoffed at by the "bi wire is useless" contingent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ironman said:

There is no doubt that the use of higher quality cables results in improved speaker performance, but for real-world purposes the point of diminishing returns is heavily skewed toward the cheaper end.

Not to derail the thread, but that is NOT settled fact.  And it seems PWK felt the same. 

You can do the same test w/ speaker cables that I proposed for biwiring.  ..Try it and report back please.

I'll speak for using the dual posts too!  Don't give a poop if I get attacked here again for my view. Maybe if I don't name what it is the fireworks won't get directed my way!:rolleyes:

That type 8 is some good stuff. 

When I use the A outputs for the HF and the B outputs for the LF my Forte IIIs do sound better. Two speaker set outputs on one amp, one pair of speakers.

The impedance is cut in half and 80wpc turns into 120wpc so maybe that accounts for part of it.

Irregardless I won't go back to the old way of wiring with this particular rig I've got. 

image.jpg

"Hey Mikey.....Try it, you might like it"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm with you on that one.  Type 8 from audio advisor is $200 for an 8' pair delivered.  It is the best reasonably priced cable I have found that I enjoy.  I use the same cables as you and they get my stamp of approval.  Won't be changing them in my setup either.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm with you on that one.  Type 8 from audio advisor is $200 for an 8' pair delivered.  It is the best reasonably priced cable I have found that I enjoy.  I use the same cables as you and they get my stamp of approval.  Won't be changing them in my setup either.  

I future proofed with a thirty foot pair, took two months to pay for it, but they will make it into my Will.

• Like 1

Whoa... 30 foot pair.  The more economical and better sounding may have been to use a longer length of Interconnects, balanced if possible, and shorter run of speaker cable.  But, if it sounds good, it is good.  I like mogami Gold for Interconnects.  Reasonably priced and they sound great to me after testing many different models and brand over the years. 

• Moderators

It's simple opinions are like zxzxxzzs, everybody has one, and 2 ears (usually) which hear different things, do what makes you happy nothing else makes a difference. 

We set our stuff up like we wanted, and budget allowed if you spot something that could be improved upon, feel free to replace that part with something better, if it sounds better, you will get no argument from me. Will be waiting for the UPS truck. :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, JohnJ said:

With a buddy like Roy, you should ask him!

I will, and if he says it does help, I will say well why only 2 sets of binding post, get with the program ! Why you shorting us ?

But i have a good guess what his answer would be. He is kind of no BS, I would bet he would say try it and let me know what you think, he got that answering a question with a question from PWK, and he has it bad. It's aggravating and he does it on purpose, but I will ask. One reason I don't repeat much of what he says is because he will sometimes give you a BS answer to see if you catch that it's BS, if you do he smiles and comments, if you don't catch it he will ask you questions. It's annoying and he knows it, once I told him when you answer something on the forum please give an answer and not 3-4 words which no one can figure out, we want to know why you do things like you do, must be a reason ?

Once I asked him about adding some oak trim around the 402 horn, I said would it be alright if it started right here and went out ? He said it was ok and asked why did you ask that ? I told him I didn't want to mess up the bubble leaving the horn. He just stood there shocked and said you really was listening back then, he was shocked.

Probably won't see him for a few weeks but we will spend a week with him, going to see a friend and of course fishing, his favorite hobby,  Lake Okeechobee , this should be good, I have never fished there. 

• Like 1

I never owned Heresy's but I did bi-wire my RF-7iii's and noticed it made them a lil crisper/cleaner, also tried it with my LSll's and noticed no difference. So I'd say just try it and judge for yourself, doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

• Like 1

There is a possible improvement using biwired. Any feedback from the woofer back emf is separated from the horns when biwired. Both sets of cables connect right to the amp.  

The Heresy III jumper is funky. Looks like gold plated sheet metal, but passed the magnet test so they are gold plated brass.

I use the four conductor Canare speaker cable. The 16 ga wires. Hook up as a pair for single run and use all four for biwire. 

Hooked my HIII up as single during break in. Then made another pair using the same wire for biwire. 

They sounded the same. But still use the biwire cables. Maybe my ears cannot hear the improvement.