Thanks Carl, Claudej, JoeM38..........Im Happy

joessportster

You guys told me about the Tuba subs and while I did not blow you off I did figure generally a subs a sub. BOY WAS I WRONG The Tuba is so articulate and has such impact I am listening to a totally different system. Years ago I had a pair of horn subs and was never really all that impressed tonight I have a whole new appreciation. My son was setting there right next to me all smiles, It is so fun hearing every tom and kick as an individual strike nothing all smeared together . I took a quick initial measurement with REW and I dont have a 20db suck out at 50HZ anymore

Thank you all very much

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joessportster said:

You guys told me about the Tuba subs and while I did not blow you off I did figure generally a subs a sub. BOY WAS I WRONG The Tuba is so articulate and has such impact I am listening to a totally different system. Years ago I had a pair of horn subs and was never really all that impressed tonight I have a whole new appreciation. My son was setting there right next to me all smiles, It is so fun hearing every tom and kick as an individual strike nothing all smeared together . I took a quick initial measurement with REW and I dont have a 20db suck out at 50HZ anymore

Thank you all very much

I am glad you are enjoying them.

My son sat down in the living room last night after we got set back up without them and said the drums are gone dad..

It is amazing what a difference the lower reinforcement does in a system. the MWMs don't do drums near as well without the subs...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joessportster said:

Firing into corner, Guess I could try that but they are already slamming firing straight into the room

Theoretically it extends the output by using the room as an extension of the horn ala Klipschorn.  Wonder where he got that idea, LOL. 

• Like 3

There is definitely going to be one of these subs in my future in the upstairs audio room when our house is done.  I think having the sub is the best bet to go along with the Belle's I built versus building another set of speakers.  Most likely the Cinema F-20....of which I like the size of and that walnut veneer I've seen on that build you posted.

• Like 1

When I made my first tuba, I had fun running the resonant frequency of my garage. All 3 doors would vibrate and the room would feel like I was sitting inside a giant air compressor tank. I think that may be why some of my florescent light fixtures are kinda coming down.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, joessportster said:

Thank you all very much

What driver and what is the size of the box?  Is this the 36 inch wide build?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few years since I built these... I believe I used the Dayton DVC385-88 drivers, but I'm not sure. They were definitely not the cheaper Dayton driver.

Two years ago I built A f20 subwoofer for my son's room and the DVC was no longer available so I used the Dayton rs390 for it.

39 minutes ago, JoeM38 said:

It's been a few years since I built these... I believe I used the Dayton DVC385-88 drivers, but I'm not sure. They were definitely not the cheaper Dayton driver.

Two years ago I built A f20 subwoofer for my son's room and the DVC was no longer available so I used the Dayton rs390 for it.

I believe this driver is recommended.

RSS390HF-4, not to be confused with the HO version.

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yep, the Dayton RSS390HF-4 is the recommended driver.  I built two 24" Low Profile Tubas last year.  Bass Unlimited!

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

YES!  Build a sub with it and (for the money) it is excellent.

The HO is a "high output" version better suited for "hip-hop automobiles."  PE has them wrongly listed in some of their sub kits.

Cheers, Emile :D