6SN7 Rattle

rplace

I've got a vintage Sylvania 6SN7 that really rattles when lightly shaken. I can't see anything moving inside it but it sounds like it might be the size of a BB. It powers up and plays fine. If anything maybe, just maybe it burns brighter than the others. Any concerns there?  In the couple of cases I've had were tubes got noisy I just replaced them.

As a general rule when a tube has a problem is it just like a light bulb burning out? Remove and replace? Is there any case where a "bad" tube can actually damage the equipment?

Guest wdecho

I would not use it myself. Yes a bad tube can damage other parts especially rectifier tubes. I had one to fail and burned out the transformer when it shorted. Why take a chance? 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, thebes said:

Here's one of dozens of threads around the web about this subject. I'm including it cause it's talking about loose bases in 6SN7 tubes:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/loose-tube-bases.204663/

Marty link does not work for me, but I twisted ever so slightly and BOOM, no noise. I didn't even feel it turn, just sort of applied some twisting pressure between base and glass.

Thanks!

When the inside of the glass looks milky white the vacuum is gone.  The base actually is attached to the wires coming out of the glass envelope which is where the glass is. The base is like a flower vase, it holds the flowers ,but is not of the flowers.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, thebes said:

When the inside of the glass looks milky white the vacuum is gone.  The base actually is attached to the wires coming out of the glass envelope which is where the glass is. The base is like a flower vase, it holds the flowers ,but is not of the flowers.

I see, sort of like the old flash bulbs where the wires were bent around the outside of the glass. Glass being "sealed" up but wires out. On the tubes they have the addition of pins and base. I was incorrectly thinking the base sealed the glass. Silly me. Thanks Marty! Ya learn something new everyday....guess I'm done for today.

Funny hobby we have. Postman (lady actually), er mail carrier just had me sign for two Ken-Rad 6SN7 tubes. Made in USA, but they came by way of Holland. Wonder what the carbon footprint of my tubes are? :emotion-22:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...