Forte III arrived damaged, WWYD

Sam S.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:08 PM, Sam S. said:

Thanks for all the help/advice! Update: I was offered $50 to keep these, and I declined. They will be going back. Hassle yes, but I will start saving for another pair. Shakey: Yes, that makes sense but I'll note that blemished was not disclosed by the seller -- and certainly not dented up like it was. A member of another forum received a pair with similar damage to mine. I'd like to think they didn't leave the factory - or wouldn't have allowed them to leave the factory that way. Who knows for sure when they were damaged. At any rate, I wanted to post in case anyone else had a similar experience. I hope the return goes OK, and thanks for the advice about alternative dealers. I could have dealt with some slight blemishes in the veneer -- e.g. slight discolorations, had that been disclosed for the price. But these were pretty beat up.

Sam if you are spending your hard earned cash then they need to be immaculate, no scraps, no blemishes, no discoloration, Just MINT condition, irrelevant of how much they cost these are sold as new and that means new, 

I would be speaking to Klipsch about their dealer selling damaged goods, this is bad for the company and especially if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the buyer, and prevents buyers from buying 

good luck 

12 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Sam if you are spending your hard earned cash then they need to be immaculate, no scraps, no blemishes, no discoloration, Just MINT condition, irrelevant of how much they cost these are sold as new and that means new, 

I would be speaking to Klipsch about their dealer selling damaged goods, this is bad for the company and especially if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the buyer, and prevents buyers from buying 

good luck 

Yes - thanks Deano. Got a prepaid return label and dropped them off at UPS this AM. Yes, agreed about being bad for the company. I may write them a line about my experience.

• Like 1

Were the boxes actually factory sealed?

I"m wondering if the reason for the super attractive pricing is, the dealer knew they were damaged and gambled on someone accepting them "as-is" or perhaps expecting a complaint upon receipt and prepared to offer the fifty bucks, hoping for a taker.

5 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I"m wondering if the reason for the super attractive pricing is, the dealer knew they were damaged and gambled on someone accepting them "as-is" or perhaps expecting a complaint upon receipt and prepared to offer the fifty bucks, hoping for a taker.

Good point. If they were indeed new, there would be no offer of a 50.00 refund. A claim would be filed with the shipping company and the shipper would receive what they were insured for. Buyer then gets a new pair.

I will bet there was never a claim filed because the damage was preexisting.

Shakey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Good point. If they were indeed new, there would be no offer of a 50.00 refund. A claim would be filed with the shipping company and the shipper would receive what they were insured for. Buyer then gets a new pair.

I will bet there was never a claim filed because the damage was preexisting.

Shakey

I was thinking along the same lines.  

If a company comes to your house to install appliances and there is damage, they offer you a discount vs taking the appliance back.  Why because they know they did the damage or the goods were damaged.  They would have to eat the cost because they either knew about the damage or created the damage.  If the box is crushed in shipping, guaranteed they file a claim.

It may not have happened here but only $50 is bad and not just trying to go for a replacement is also poor service.

17 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Peter --- you hit the nail on the head. Yes, they were factory sealed. Indeed, if they knew they were damaged, they should have opened them up upon their own receipt of them and disclosed the damage(s). They didn't -- and yes likely gambled on people complaining or not complaining, or taking or not taking the time and effort to return them. Pretty low business practice IMHO.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sam S. said:

Thanks, Shu --- I don't see this on the site, other than discounted special edition Ebony for $1,899 ea. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot? Thanks to forum members who offered input and suggestion to contact Cory. I will do that soon. My theory here is that Adorama got a deal with Klipsch to buy a batch of B-stock, blems, or otherwise "un-sellable as new" Forte's. The problem is that they didn't open them up when they received them, to inspect, and they didn't disclose any damage or defects in advance to potential buyers. I inspected the boxes mine came in, and they had the original tape on them - so they weren't opened up before sending to me. No damage to the box makes me think they might've left the factory that way. That's hard to believe, I dunno. Some may have gotten lucky with slight blems, others much worse like mine. At any rate, they are going back tomorrow. Here's the labels --- and I'm not sure why they didn't take the time to pull consecutive serial #'s --- it says right there on the label (another issue). Maybe this indicates some info., maybe not. Just wanted to post a follow up in the event it might help someone else in the future. THX.

p.s. My 11 year old daughter, who is into ELO, Styx, and Tom Petty, begged me to keep these. She loves them,  but I said -- you'll get these someday when I'm gone, so we want them to be "mint". I reassured her we would be ordering replacements --- it just may cost a little more and take more time to save up.

SN1.jpg

SN2.jpg

Yes there is a problem with the pair, especially for the matching veneer with the other speaker. It would have taken 90060 with 90059 or 90058 with 90057 :(

For Klipsch MATCHED PAIRS Each pair of Heritage Series loudspeakers is grain-matched using wood veneer panels that come from the same timber. Each cabinet is carefully matched so that each speaker in the pair is practically indistinguishable from the other. The speakers move seamlessly together through the factory. Each finished product is inspected and labeled with sequential serial numbers, ensuring that the Heritage series speakers leave the factory as a meticulously crafted set.