How would these sound?

JDJohnson

I do not know if the recording technique has been the same for all the examples above, but to me the Altec 817 HP9040 (the first one) sounds best, certainly the cleanest of them all here.

I would put Cornwalls to the second place.

In last example it seems that something is wrong with the recording process, the sound is generally smeared.

Tonality in Altecs (the first) and Cornwalls are somehow correct.

However, in my opinion neither of them plays high piano notes correct. They seem too bright. Cornwall is the best here.

• Like 1

The bass units for sale are rear-loaded horns.  I had some JBL C34s which looked a lot like that, but were somewhat bigger.  The woofer acted as a direct radiator above 150 Hz and as a rear-loaded horn below that.  They were very clean, had good transient response and dynamics, but began to roll off just below 60 Hz, with next to nothing at 30 Hz.  They did take bass boost well, sometimes a great deal of it.  Even though they sounded better than just about any acoustic suspension speaker, and better than those of my friends of the late 1960s and 1970s, I don't think I'd get them again.  For similar bass range, maybe a La Scala II, but I'm glad I have Klipschorns.

I don't know about the mid/high horns and drivers.  Maybe someone here has heard them.

• Like 1

With the BMS driver they may sound pretty good.  i had the EV DH1A on mine and though it had that big horn sound, something was off.  I ended up selling and going back to the HP640.  its then i realized it was the driver.  To be honest, for the asking price,  i would save some more and get get some K402s working my way into a pair of Jubilees.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soundbound said:

No affiliation. He says he can not demo, which is odd. How do you feel they would sound? How’s his asking price? I’m not interested in buying, just curious about your thoughts.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/high-end-huge-audiophile-horn/6633054197.html

For that price and can't hear them, I'd pass.

I myself don't like horns with a slot for the throat.  That's just me though.

• Like 1