RSW-15’s enough?

Old school Rf-7

Hi guys, I’m a newbie looking for some advice before I get it hooked up. System consists of a Pioneer SC-09 receiver, Rf-7’s front and rear, rf-5’ on the sides, rs-7’s rear upper, rc-7 center, velodyne sms-1 digital drive, and 2 rsw-15’s. Do you think these subs will be enough, or should I go for a svs-pb16?

@Old school Rf-7,

Welcome to the forum.

Your system will rock, period.  Give it a whirl as is and see(hear) what you get.  Now the PB16 will dig deeper and very audible at or below 16Hz so if that is of most importance to you then you may consider incorporating one.

What is the size of your room?

Bill

8 minutes ago, Old school Rf-7 said:

Thanks guys, my room is 24’x24’. I will hopefully get it up and test it this weekend. I’m pretty anxious, heard lots of good reviews about the rf-7’s. 

If possible put one sub in the center of the front wall and one sub in the center of the rear wall.  You'll get better room coverage that way.  Square rooms are about the worst shape though.  Put your listening position about 2/3 of the way into the room away from the speakers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If possible put one sub in the center of the front wall and one sub in the center of the rear wall.  You'll get better room coverage that way.  Square rooms are about the worst shape though.  Put your listening position about 2/3 of the way into the room away from the speakers.

I second this. From what I have read, subs are best placed in the center of a wall either front and back or side to side. Ideally, its best to have 4 subs in the center of each wall. 

I am in a similar boat. 2 x  RSW-15 in the front and one RSW-12 in the rear. I did want more bass, but I installed spikes ( I have carpet) and that did make enough of a difference in the bass. It was way smoother and a touch deeper with little to no rattling in the walls, cabinets, etc. 

However I have hear the  svs-pb16, and they are in a league of their own. They are WAY more powerful, heart pounding, kidney stone shattering. But so is the price. 2 of the  svs-pb16 would cost 5K. I was able to get pretty close with room treatment, running audyssey, proper placement, and putting all of mine on spikes and decoupling them from the floor.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:01 AM, Old school Rf-7 said:

Hi guys, I’m a newbie looking for some advice before I get it hooked up. System consists of a Pioneer SC-09 receiver, Rf-7’s front and rear, rf-5’ on the sides, rs-7’s rear upper, rc-7 center, velodyne sms-1 digital drive, and 2 rsw-15’s. Do you think these subs will be enough, or should I go for a svs-pb16?

To me it all hinges on what "enough" means in this instance

They are excellent down to 20hz which when they came out was great response.  In todys home theater my opinion is 15hz is really necessary and 10hz is preferable.  There is movie content down there worthy of reproduction.  

SVS is one of several excellent ways to get that.

• Moderators
On 7/6/2018 at 1:01 AM, Old school Rf-7 said:

Do you think these subs will be enough, or should I go for a svs-pb16?

Go look, type this (Below) into Yahoo images it gives about 50 movies and the frequency ranges, Google has some but a little less.

See for yourself what it the average low frequencies for different movies, it's easy to see where most of the content is.  

Simple type this in.........                         "movie bass frequency chart"