AV RECEIVERS- BUY "OLD" or "NEW" VALUE VS TECH

Chriskimer

Thoughts on getting "old" tech (2-4 years) quality receiver at +/- 75% discount from original price, versus spending same money current model for lesser quality?

IE- Marantz 8801/8802 processor with 8077 AMP for $1500- or go out and buy current DENON, YAMAHA, ELITE for same $1500 ?

The original combo of Marantz equip would have been in excess of $5k, does it make any sense to go that way now?  Or go after latest greatest?

Thank you.

Theater 80%- Music 20%

FORTE II

SVS SUB PB 2000 x 2

CSC-1 CENTER CHANNEL

INFINITY RS-125 REAR

Ceiling Speakers Installed- unknown at this time.

Edited by Chriskimer

Depends on what you need. 4K, Atmos? I didn't need either and bought what was, when new, an insanely expensive Integra pre-pro for a huge discount from Acessories4less because it didn't have those latest gadgets. I would take older quality every time.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdhc803/integra-dhc-80.3-9.2-ch-thx-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav8801/marantz-av8801-11.2-ch-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

• Like 1

I "need" not be overwhelmed by the number of ridiculous options /choices/ directions I could go with this stuff, lol.  

Seriously, If I go with "used/dated"  as far as I can tell I lose only the Dolby Atmos?  The afore mentioned components have 4K and various apps.  I get both the amp and processor for $1500, which seems like a great buy.  How important, really, Is the latest and greatest?  

• Like 1

The used prices for those units should be around 1200 for the pair. No higher. With the preamp your just going to lose out of a few of the new HT sound settings , if your ok with that. Then jump on it. They should have many years left on them. Marantz has a great warm sound to them. I sold my marantz pre amp and 7 channel amp because I needed cash for my back surgery and I wish I never did that. Now I’m using a Denon x2200 , it has all the new stuff but it does not have the same feel or flavor as the Marantz had. The subwoofer outputs sounds like crap on the denon. The marantz could control the two sub outputs independently and that sounded great

Since you don't need 4k or Atmos, I would grab this and be done. I own four of these Sherbourn receivers and in my experience this is the only receiver that rivals separates for sound quality and power. 125 bench tested watts per channel across the front three and a real 75 watts for the other channels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-SR120-Receiver-7-Channel-175-Watt-Receiver-Used-Excellent-Condition/253732827089?hash=item3b13a7afd1:g:FvEAAOSw-W9bIq~~

Originally sold for $2999 and packs one helluva punch. Offers True HD, DTS-HD and everything available up to 2014. Weighs 73 lbs and built like a tank. Also the billet remote doubles as a beater if your home is ever broken into!

57 minutes ago, Chriskimer said:

I "need" not be overwhelmed by the number of ridiculous options /choices/ directions I could go with this stuff, lol.  

Seriously, If I go with "used/dated"  as far as I can tell I lose only the Dolby Atmos?  The afore mentioned components have 4K and various apps.  I get both the amp and processor for $1500, which seems like a great buy.  How important, really, Is the latest and greatest?  

I agree with what others have said about getting slightly used. As long as it manages the lossless audio codecs found on Blu Ray you should be good to go for the next few years at least if you have a standard 5.1 or 7.1 system. Even if it cant do 4K pass through or DolbyVision or whatever you can get an HDMI splitter to run the video directly to the TV and the audio will go to the AVR. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chriskimer said:

Teaman, thanks, looks like a solid recommendation.

I can hear no difference between this receiver and the Emotiva stack of amps and preamp. Very straight forward and easy to use receiver. Please let me know if there is anything you care to know about it!

Tim

12 minutes ago, Chriskimer said:

Teaman, thanks, looks like a solid recommendation.

A couple of years ago @teaman made that recommendation for the used SR-120 to me as well and I picked one up directly from the Emotiva ebay site for used stuff for $400 shipped.

The Bad:  Mine was bad out of the box, it was obvious Emotiva did not properly service it before sending it out to me.  When I contacted them about the problem they did not argue, did not even ask any questions.  They immediately refunded my $400.  I am 100% satisfied with the way they treated me.

The Good:  Exactly as Tim described, the SR-120 is a BEAST and easily bested my 2014 Onkyo TX NR717 at 125 wpc, and my 2017 Marantz SR6011, also at 125 wpc although the Marantz is a LOT closer to the Sherbourn in sheer power and sound quality.  The Sherbourn is above both those.

If you don't need Atmos and the newer HDMI spec outputs the Sherbourn has that "old school" sound and power the new AVR's just don't have.

+++

Again, mine had a remote that wouldn't work and then the power supply ( I think) went out, so buyer beware.

Sending PM for a deal for you.

• Like 1

@teamanI just made Chris the same offer for my SR120 that I made you.  I recommended he not take it, but if you have any advice that might help our new Forum friend, send him a PM or reply here, either is OK with me.

Just to refresh your memory the remote doesn't work and the pre/pro won't talk to the amps, but all the amps have a blue (good) light.  I think the power supply is the problem.

3 hours ago, tromprof said:

Depends on what you need. 4K, Atmos? I didn't need either and bought what was, when new, an insanely expensive Integra pre-pro for a huge discount from Acessories4less because it didn't have those latest gadgets. I would take older quality every time.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdhc803/integra-dhc-80.3-9.2-ch-thx-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav8801/marantz-av8801-11.2-ch-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

I basically have the Onkyo version of that Integra. It's all the Processor I'll ever need

There's some real bargains to be had when it comes to "older" receivers and preamps. I picked up a Denon AVR-4806 (new MSRP $3,500 about 10 years ago) for $180 last year and it will embarrass a lot of high-end separates in stereo or surround. 

Sure, it doesn't have the latest and greatest from Dolby but it absolutely smokes modern surround receivers that don't have a preamp & amp section this good. I'll take audio quality over feature lists any day.

5 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

"Denon AVR-4806 (new MSRP $3,500 about 10 years ago) for $180 last year and it will embarrass a lot of high-end separates in stereo".   Someone here will agree, I certainly won't. 

Stop by sometime and I'll let you compare the 4806 to my McIntosh 2 channel gear.

• Like 1

My ceiling is too high for atmos (20') so atmos isn't a priority but my receiver doesn't do 4k HDR.  It only does 4k at 30f/s.  So I have to have the 4k player plugged in directly to the tv and then a second connection to the receiver.  It can get annoying switching back and forth instead of just hitting one button on the receiver.  It's all a trade off and what you're willing to deal with.  I've always waited til they're clearing out the previous year's models when upgrading to get a discount.  Works for me.  For now I'll deal with having to switch back and forth.  If