First time Klipschorn owner

Already posted this over on Audiokarma, so apologies to members of both, but I figured it was time to join this forum as well.

Thanks to the one and only Edroom and his annual audio yard sale I was able to purchase these beautiful giants yesterday. These are my first "big" set of speakers and they already sound fantastic even with the original capacitors in the crossovers. Even had the energy to stop at Home Depot on my way home for some pipe insulation to seal 'em to the walls.

The details:
1972 Klipschorn Model B's
"M75" Mahogany finish, NOT lacquered
AA crossovers

I absolutely, 100% recommend buying from Ed if you ever have the chance. Nice guy, fair prices, and an impressive collection.

klipschorns_small.jpg

• Like 6

Already posted this over on Audiokarma, so apologies to members of both, but I figured it was time to join this forum as well.

Thanks to the one and only Edroom and his annual audio yard sale I was able to purchase these beautiful giants yesterday. These are my first "big" set of speakers and they already sound fantastic even with the original capacitors in the crossovers. Even had the energy to stop at Home Depot on my way home for some pipe insulation to seal 'em to the walls.

The details:
1972 Klipschorn Model B's
"M75" Mahogany finish, NOT lacquered
AA crossovers

I absolutely, 100% recommend buying from Ed if you ever have the chance. Nice guy, fair prices, and an impressive collection.
klipschorns_small.thumb.jpg.3abd6dac1aa5687bf2d985b49bad61e9.jpg
Welcome aboard and enjoy all the great info and advice here [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AWESOME....get some furniture grippers for the hardwood floor that will help. Corners could be better but you got to do what you got yo do. I fastened a extension on one of my 72s to complete a corner. Rebuild the crossover and look out congrats.post-7905-13819281238906_thumb.jpgThis is the extension I put on mine. You could also build false corners. If you want to know how to check the air tightness of woofer chamber message me its a bit drawn out to do it . But I did find leaks in mine probably from glue drying out. 

• Like 1

Congrats!  Your room might not be ideal but it can still work and is better than not having Khorns!  FYI: It appears that your LP shelf may be blocking one of the side exits on the right speaker.  You may get improved bass if you move that shelf out of the way.  Ideally, you want those side openings to be unblocked for at least four feet from the corner of the room (more is better).  The walls make up part of the bass horn.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, JMON said:

Congrats!  Your room might not be ideal but it can still work and is better than not having Khorns!  FYI: It appears that your LP shelf may be blocking one of the side exits on the right speaker.  You may get improved bass if you move that shelf out of the way.  Ideally, you want those side openings to be unblocked for at least four feet from the corner of the room (more is better).  The walls make up part of the bass horn.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:44 PM, ricktate said:

AWESOME....get some furniture grippers for the hardwood floor that will help. Corners could be better but you got to do what you got yo do. I fastened a extension on one of my 72s to complete a corner. Rebuild the crossover and look out congrats.post-7905-13819281238906_thumb.jpgThis is the extension I put on mine. You could also build false corners. If you want to know how to check the air tightness of woofer chamber message me its a bit drawn out to do it . But I did find leaks in mine probably from glue drying out. 

The room definitely isn't ideal, but unfortunately it's the best I can do at the moment with the 800 sq. feet we have. Didn't even think much about the LP shelf, but I'll definitely have to give rearranging the room or moving the shelf some thought. For now I'd like to rig up some sort of false corner for the left side and see what kind of difference that'll make!

I'm not sure that means it was not lacquered -- a Klipsch historical expert is needed.  The "5" looks added on in different writing, so it looks like "M-7" to me, which was one of the Klipsch mahogany finishes around then.  I never saw an "M75" designation, so I don't think the "not lacquered" is necessarily correct.  It looks lacquered to me in the pic, but I'm pretty sure someone could tell in closeup real life

• Like 2

Hmm, yeah it does look as though it could be different handwriting now that you mention it! They definitely aren't too heavily lacquered if they are at all. The one on the right looks a bit shiny in the photo, but that's partially due to the sunlight. They're pretty dull in person and you can clearly feel the wood grain.

This is the only other place where I've seen the M75 or M7s designation mentioned: 

Actually, the pic above from Meagain may have been originally from me (they've been refinished since) -- it looks very familiar!

At that time, the remaining lacquer coat was quite thin, definitely not a thick glossy coat.  Ive never seen a Klipsch oiled mahogany finish, but oiled walnut can look very dried out over time (remember, these were over 40 years old at the time, and over 50 yrs old now!).  Since your pic looks so much like mine used to, I'm still tempted to think they were lacquered.  I'd wager there's a difference in feel between oiled and lacquered.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:03 PM, nickdinatale said:

Here's the tag: 

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 8.41.59 PM.png

LOL!  That's M 7 S.  It is a darker shade of Mahoghany.  That designation was used on Shorthorns and the like in the 50's and on some K-horns in the 70's. 

72_Pricelist.jpg

1957 KLIPSCH_PL1.JPG

• Like 1