So, now I need a TT

ssh

With the improvements in audio equipment over the years I'd buy new. You can get a great table with a higher end mid level cartridge for under a grand. I picked up a ProJect Carbon Esprit with upgraded Ortofon Blue cartridge for about $850 shipped. Something to ponder. 

Joe over-packed the TT, and all is well. I setup the Kenwood and listened a bit today. Yes, I knew that it would make me wish that I'd done this years-enough-ago to have a huge collection of LPs.

Thanks for the "extras", Joe. 

SSH

• Like 2

New does not equal better in a TT, Mass, Stability, LEVEL, Speed & vibration control are your concerns with the table. Steves Kenwood has all those it is easily as good as any of those MDF tables sold today. If I were to look at anything on Steves table to change I would consider a better Tone Arm (The 1 he has is good) But there are EASIER more adjustable arms today. The REGA line are the ones I considered It looks like a straight drop in  no drilling etc... That said it is not a necessity The arm on the Kenwood once set up is fine it stays in the groove and tracks very well. The Shure V15 lll is to this day a HIGHLY sought after Cartridge and Is still considered a MM Reference. 

For an improvement in his setup Steve would need to spend quite a bit more than 1000.00 I have had dozens of tables and I kept the Kenwood because it was a budget that punched WELL above its price point. Only sold it because space was a concern and being disabled the up and down to flip a record as well as moving hundreds of vinyl around was no longer something could do continually.

Steve Enjoy what you have. The TT improvement is a rabbit hole that gets DEEP and EXPENSIVE, with your table Improvements will come with the LAW of diminished returns.

Glad you are happy and everything survived the trip unscathed. Spin Vinyl and be happy................... 

• Like 2

Guest wdecho

For vintage you may want to check out this guy, no affiliation or personal knowledge. I just ran across his site surfing this morning. The price is slightly over budget but a turntable is a long investment. https://vinylnirvana.com/product/gorgeous-thorens-td-160bc-mkii-rewired-rega-rb-300-tonearm-satin-black-plinth-ortofon-2m-blue-cartridge  He offers a $200 upgrade for the highly rated bronze Ortophon cartridge. I am more of a decent entry turntable myself. Just bought the Fluance RT81 and loving the sound over my old turntable. The biggest improvement that was evident right away was less surface noise with the AT95 cartridge. Most of my Ebay VG and Vg+ buys now are playable. My thoughts are if the turntable does it's job spinning the record quietly and correctly the difference in sound is going to in a cartridge. But the cartridge and turntable must mate together for a happy marriage. Then also the better the phono preamplifier the better the sound. In fewer words if the mechanical part does it's job differences in sound are going to be in preamplifier and cartridge used.