La Scalas new to me

Drugolf

A black cabinet version of La Scalas came up for sale at a very good price here so I grabbed em. The plan is to go through them and bring everything up to speed and then determine if they go or stay. I really don't have a place for them but I thought it would be at least fun to see what they are all about while bringing them back to life.

Previous/original owner used them with his instruments, mixer boards amps etc as a musician. The terminal connection he had on them was for patch cords, not that it matters though as I quickly just pulled that off to run cables direct to the original terminals.

The contingent is as follows:
Crossover - AA with PIO caps etc.
Woofer - K33E
Mid - K55-V with K400 horn
Tweeter - K77

All drivers work and they sound pretty good, except I think I have a little less output/sound on one of them. Seems like the mid horn is not outputting as much as the other but it is hard to tell. I guess I should disconnect the tweeters and woofers and listen that way. ?

So, hit me with things I should consider or need to do. For now I would rather stick with original stuff and then go from there. If I am getting slightly reduced sound from one speaker, my first instinct would be crossover issues. Whats the history with these original AA PIO caps?  Usually PIO last a long long time. Overall the crossovers are really dirty so I will for sure get in there and clean them up to see if that improves a connection or something.

Can diaphragms weaken and result in reduced output in a horn? Is that something that can be tested for?

I only hooked them up to the pictured Pioneer SX5580 for now (went with the all black look) but plan on using tubes with them for sure.

Thanks.  My first posted thread here. More to come because I also just picked up some K Horns of the Speakerlab variety.

La-Scala-front.jpg

La-Scala-crossover-AA.jpg

Welcome to the world of Klipsch and the Forum! 

First thing, clean up everything and check/clean all of the connections to all of the drivers.  The intermittent reduced output from one of the drivers is a classic symptom of a loose connection.  

Listen a while and then we can talk about improvements.  There are many with varying effectiveness.  If they are running as designed, they will not sound polite, reserved or distant.  They will be alive and out in the room. 

What is the serial number?  That tells the year and production number.  What is that receiver?  It looks vaguely familiar. 

Where are you in the world?  Perhaps you are close to other members. 

Didn't know this was a test, did you?  😉 

• Haha 1

The K55 driver is threaded and just screws into the K400 horn. There is a gasket between the two that Crites Speakers sells replacements for if yours have deteriorated. I would inspect them and check for any other obstructions between driver and horn. I agree with  you OP and JohnA clean everything up and see what you got then. Could a diaphragm weaken with age and (ab)use? Sure why not.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I am on the crossover and will get then all cleaned up etc and see what happens.

Serial numbers are 18S417 and 18S418

It appears that the original stickers are still there, but painted over with black paint.  Hmmm

John, I am in Boise, Idaho.  The receiver is a Pioneer SX5580.  Just used to give em a try.  I plan on using A Fisher TA600 or Dynaco St70 (both completely restored) with them once cleaned up and confirmed working.  I also have bigger solid state power and tube pre in the main room to try at some point as well.