HK 730 Twin Power Stereo Receiver - $350 (Littleton)

TasDom

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

If I were within 2 hours of that, I’d buy it immediately.

Flights to Littleton

Google › Flights

Thu, Aug 16 Sun, Aug 19
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, DizRotus said:

If I were within 2 hours of that, I’d buy it immediately.

Same here but 12 hour round trip from home. I've always wanted to try one of the vintage HK twin powered units.

On July 8, 2018 at 5:46 PM, jvs1670 said:

I went and grabbed it after I saw this post earlier today.   Looks really awesome and sounded great.   I'll be hooking it up to the Lascalas soon.  

Sweet! You were one of the members I had in mind but couldn't remember your name. Love it when a plan comes together!

Congrats and enjoy!

• Like 1

The guy just retired and said he was just moving some pieces he had collected through the years.   He had all kinds of modern and vintage audio  throughout his home and said it all works.  He said the oak wood case is super rare and that he rarely saw any even in the 70's when he sold HK's when they were new.  He said if I didn't like it or need it that the case alone could probably sell for about $100 on its own, but I think it looks great and don't plan on getting rid of it.  If I ever decide to part with the receiver I'm sure it will only help to retain the value of the unit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well finally got it hooked up and it sounds great.  I had a Yamaha A-S801 integrated hooked up previously and it was good, the HK 730 is better.   I really can't believe it sounds better than a $900 new integrated.   The bottom end is better the mids just sound more relaxed and overall it just sounds right.   The HK has more than enough juice to hit crazy loud levels just as easy or easier than the Yamaha which is supposed to have a true 100 watts per channel.   Very happy so far.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, hope to get some pointers and advice.   I had the 730 sitting idle for a about 6 months as I was using other equipment, I just hooked it up again a few days ago and it seems to have a problem.    It will randomly distort when playing a song moderately loud, the sound will be great and then occasionally break up.    Is there a problem with the power supply?   Is there something a novice could check or does it need to be serviced by a pro?    It's not sitting on the speaker and getting vibrations.    And again it sounds just awesome other than this new issue that popped up.   Please help.

Distort on both channels or only one?  Your first action should be to use Deoxit on all controls.  Spray the pots, then turn the knobs back and forth several times, then spray again.

If this doesn't help, then there are other internal issues.  Let us know.

• Like 1

I forget, did the seller represent that it has been professionally serviced recently?  If not, I would suggest a thorough professional service irrespective of its present operation.  If you spent as much again as the purchase price for a competent restoration, IMO, it would be money well spent.

34 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Distort on both channels or only one?  Your first action should be to use Deoxit on all controls.  Spray the pots, then turn the knobs back and forth several times, then spray again.

Along with pots/switches cleaning just check all of the fuses...and it has lots of them...the speaker fuses on its rear (might NOT be fuse there, but re-sets instead), but under the hood will be fuses, and also under the bottom plate...ensure the fuses are good, the ends are clean, and the fuse-holder contacts are clean, and always ensure all fuses are fast-blow ones along with being the correct rating.  Also be sure that your speaker wire connectors are CLEAN and devoid of dead insects, etc....the "devoid of insects" thing also applies to under the hood...look everywhere for old insect/spider carcasses....you would be surprised at how well an old insect/spider carcass across soldered connections can short things out to at least some extent! 

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

The it moves to both channels.   I should mention that the volume knob is a little scratchy when it first starts up then quickly seems to smooth out in a minute or two.   Could this be related to the volume knob?      And I will try the Deoxit for sure, never used that before where would I look to buy that locally?

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I forget, did the seller represent that it has been professionally serviced recently?  If not, I would suggest a thorough professional service irrespective of its present operation.  If you spent as much again as the purchase price for a competent restoration, IMO, it would be money well spent.

I think he mentioned that he had gone through it himself and did all the cleaning, pretty sure it wasn't a professional servicing if I remember correctly.    I did spend $350 on it, are you thinking that a professional servicing would be about that much?