HK 730 Twin Power Stereo Receiver - $350 (Littleton)

TasDom

42 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Along with pots/switches cleaning just check all of the fuses...and it has lots of them...the speaker fuses on its rear (might NOT be fuse there, but re-sets instead), but under the hood will be fuses, and also under the bottom plate...ensure the fuses are good, the ends are clean, and the fuse-holder contacts are clean, and always ensure all fuses are fast-blow ones along with being the correct rating.  Also be sure that your speaker wire connectors are CLEAN and devoid of dead insects, etc....the "devoid of insects" thing also applies to under the hood...look everywhere for old insect/spider carcasses....you would be surprised at how well an old insect/spider carcass across soldered connections can short things out to at least some extent! 

Thanks for all the pointers, I will definitely take a look at things and see if I can rule out some of these potential issues.  I want this thing to work like I know it can, it really does sound great.

6 minutes ago, jvs1670 said:

The it moves to both channels.   I should mention that the volume knob is a little scratchy when it first starts up then quickly seems to smooth out in a minute or two.   Could this be related to the volume knob?      And I will try the Deoxit for sure, never used that before where would I look to buy that locally?

You can find it at a Guitar Center store, or order it on line from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d5s-6-lmh-deoxit-spray-5-oz-original-can--349-230

Yes, it could potentially be related to the volume knob.

$350 should get you a full recap/restore.

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You can find it at a Guitar Center store, or order it on line from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d5s-6-lmh-deoxit-spray-5-oz-original-can--349-230

Yes, it could potentially be related to the volume knob.

$350 should get you a full recap/restore.

Too bad that RadioShack bit the dust!  I liked their control cleaner/lube for use after using de-oxit to remove all the crud in the pots and switches!

6 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Too bad that RadioShack bit the dust!  I liked their control cleaner/lube for use after using de-oxit to remove all the crud in the pots and switches!

This works after Deoxit as well.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=asc_df_B000BXOGNI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198054130793&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3979021821791015409&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016254&hvtargid=pla-379166032540&psc=1

10 hours ago, jvs1670 said:

I think he mentioned that he had gone through it himself and did all the cleaning, pretty sure it wasn't a professional servicing if I remember correctly.    I did spend $350 on it, are you thinking that a professional servicing would be about that much?

Yes.  A competent and thorough professional service would be $200 - $300.  With the right technician, I woudn't hesitate to invest that much in such a unit.

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2018 at 1:16 PM, jvs1670 said:

The guy just retired and said he was just moving some pieces he had collected through the years.   He had all kinds of modern and vintage audio  throughout his home and said it all works.  He said the oak wood case is super rare and that he rarely saw any even in the 70's when he sold HK's when they were new.  He said if I didn't like it or need it that the case alone could probably sell for about $100 on its own, but I think it looks great and don't plan on getting rid of it.  If I ever decide to part with the receiver I'm sure it will only help to retain the value of the unit.

Can you send me a couple of pics of the unit and the wood case, I´m curious how
the correct wood case for the 730 looks like, since I have the 730 without wood case
myself.

Just re-read the rest of the post and realized I never replied back to the issue I had.  Ended up being a cracked solder point somewhere inside, cost me about $80 to get fixed.  Went to a guy here in Denver, Dr. Dan's Audio Repair, super nice guy and can't recommend him enough if you are local and need help with any issues. 

• Like 4