Best freq to low pass a sub ?

joessportster

I like the Tuba sub It can make some tracks sound amazing but conventional wisdom says to minorly overlap the speakers to avoid a Hole in the response. I have found I like the effect set at 100HZ on some tracks and on other music it is almost as though the vocals get smeared. My speaker manufacturer says only cross at 30HZ to  augment the lowest octaves

Where do you guys cross over ??

Supposedly 80hz and below is omni directional.  I would think crossing over at 100 hz in a tuba might be boomy? The lower the subs are crossed over and you are satisfied with impact, punch, depth and so on the easier they will be to integrate with the speakers without drawing too much attention to themselves.   Some people prefer that though.  

3 hours ago, joessportster said:

I like the Tuba sub It can make some tracks sound amazing but conventional wisdom says to minorly overlap the speakers to avoid a Hole in the response. I have found I like the effect set at 100HZ on some tracks and on other music it is almost as though the vocals get smeared. My speaker manufacturer says only cross at 30HZ to  augment the lowest octaves

Where do you guys cross over ??

I cross over at 80 Hz, but that's neither here nor there.

What brand and model main speakers do you have?

I'd say 80 Hz should be the highest to consider.  I used to use 40 Hz, which was fine with my Klipschorns but not near perfect.  80 Hz is it for now, and has been for the last 7 years, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? 

I have DIY single 15" driver speakers in a Bass reflex cabinet, The bass in the speakers is surprisingly very good, the speaker manufacturer says they are good down to 30hz He is close I have not tested that yet sounds like a project for tonight. I am currently crossed at 100 but nothing set in stone I have been playing with it.  I actually have 2 Tuba subs (Overkill, I let my excitement get away with my wallet, Of course you know when 2 are available you must take BOTH:emotion-14:)  Only running 1 at the moment

Think I will go set at 80 and see whats what..................Thanks for the replys so far

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Out of curiosity, are the tubas fairly easy to build for those that have done so?  Better yet.... Are the sold premade/ driver loaded already? 

I could help you out with that, not sure its worth the trip from Cali though :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Out of curiosity, are the tubas fairly easy to build for those that have done so?  

They're fairly complex.  You can get the same performance out of a Cinema F-20 and it's infinitely easier to build.

You can buy a THT prebuilt but then you lose the cost benefit of DIY.

Im in NC.  Carl isnt the f20 a lot taller though not as wide. The Ht I have are 3 feet X 3 feet x 2 feet, I could have opted for the F20 also but being 5 ish feet tall I thought not. 

Setting at 80HZ now, powered with Crown XLS1002 bridged Sounds pretty good, I will break out REW tomorrow and post a measurement with and without the sub.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joessportster said:

Im in NC.  Carl isnt the f20 a lot taller though not as wide. The Ht I have are 3 feet X 3 feet x 2 feet, I could have opted for the F20 also but being 5 ish feet tall I thought not. 

Yes, it's taller with a smaller footprint.  All horn subs are big but the F-20 is about the easiest to build.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, it's taller with a smaller footprint.  All horn subs are big but the F-20 is about the easiest to build.

The F-20 is much easier to build, I was able to put my pair together easily in a weekend.

In my experience the better the bass, the lower I want to crossover to the sub. When I used them with Klipschorns I crossed at 50 HZ, though I think that was as low as I could make it with the system at the time. Currently I cross at 60 HZ with the quarter pie horns using active crossovers.  I love how seamlessly the F20 fits in with the QPs at 60 HZ.

Well this Figures, As I often do I put the cart before the horse. I finished my 15" single driver speakers and have gone back and forth with subs no sub etc...etc...etc... as it turns out the new speakers are doing fine (Unbelievable in fact) sine waves show little to no loss down to 25ish HZ I dont do HT only 2 channel listening and so will have no use for a sub now :wacko2: