Anyone have experence REPAIRING AND FIXING RISERS??

edzu1234

Hello Fellow Klipsch Addicts,      I need to ask if anyone has experience REPAIRING AND FIXING RISERS??   I have two pairs of  Forte II and a pair of Quartets in black in need of riser repair.   The veneer is peeling, splintering, and chipping in a variety of places on the risers due to dryness of the wood surface and moving the speakers around.   I need someone who has expertise on repairing the risers.   What type of wood patch, putty, or plastic wood would be the best for the job.  Also, what kind of treatment or preservative that can I apply to the wood before I repaint them and have it retain a sense of sturdiness, stealth, and moisture so I will not run into this issue again.   Thanks to all in advance for your help!

If the risers are not lacquer, normal wood oils (lemon, teak, tung, and others) at home stores such as Home Depot will keep the wood from drying if applied periodically.  

If they are splintering, you may be able to use some of the wood putty types with colors such as oak, with a slight touch up with a matching stain.  Ebony might be usable to closely match the factory finish.

Keep the vacuum cleaners away from them or paint them with something like heavy duty truck bed liner on the risers.

Risers are  quick fun part of a restore job....Done quite a few....The only difficult part is if you need to make a new section ....or if one of the plastic corner braces is missing..

You can use plastic wood putty to repair any major damage....Staining to match is the difficult part....(wood putty really doesn't take stain too well)...If you are really into it ...you could always order adhesive backed veneer from Rockler wood working supply....cut it into strips and reface the risers.

The risers on this set of Chorus II's have been filled and then rec covered with pressure sensitive adhesive backed walnut veneer....then re-stained with  Minwax (gunstock color) stain to match oiled walnut finish.

Or you could paint them black

George

IMG_0727 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

I redid a pair of Cornwall’s a few years back. My risers were delaminating, chipped and I think water damaged. I simply created new ones out of plywood and reused the screws to attach to the speaker box. I reveneered mine to match the walnut veneer on the boxes.

On 9/2/2013 at 11:22 PM, ryanm84 said:

I am refinishing my cw1. I used the old grilles as a template for new ones rather than the motor board. I believe the grilles to be original. However, when lining up the old and subsequently the newly routed grilles, the tweeter and sqawker holes partially obstruct the motor board cut outs. I plan on fixing this but realistically what kind of impact does this have on the sound? I assume minimal as this came from klipsch this way. Thanks.

If yours Are in really bad shape, you might consider making new ones. 

If you can you take them apart into the 4 pieces of wood you could use a table saw or ? and cut off the torn and tattered edge. They will end up being a tad shorter, but I can't imagine that being a problem. Make sure you use tape in the blade cutting area, that the blade is very sharp, and run them thru the right way making sure the back side of the saw blade doesn't peel of additional veneer.  That way you don't have to do the finish match BS.

Guess that "what" was aimed in my direction?

I am assuming you only have bottom edge damage...veneer off or coming off next to the floor along the bottom edge of the riser

Take a riser apart into four individual pieces of wood. Take those pieces to someone with a table saw with a sharp blade and that the table saw is set up to saw "true". You are going to rip each piece of wood the same amount so that you slice the damaged portion of each riser. Find the piece that has the worst damage (highest up the riser) and determine how much must be "ripped off" to make that piece "right". Set the table saw to rip and rip EACH PIECE THE SAME AMOUNT.

Do it, put the pieces back together and reinstall the riser. You are done and you didn't have to stain and refinish anything.

You need to think how you will prevent this from happening again. I put casters on my heavy speakers so I don't have to scoot them on a hard floor...course my floor being tile is really hard on the bottom of my speakers.

To prevent bottom-edge damage due to tipping, "scooting" or "walking" a pair of heavy speakers into position, this is what I did to a recent pair of Crites Cornscala speakers that will weigh 140 lbs each when my finishing work is done and they are reassembled (You may also note the tile on the floor; this is great for damaging the bottoms of speakers):

The speaker is shown resting on its rollers. Notice the clearance off the floor at the bottom of the speaker. I doubt this small amount of space will sacrifice bass response. These are bass reflex speakers and the grey you see at the bottom is screen wire for vermin-proofing the interior of the speakers. In my country, you hadn't better place any speaker, especially some of the Klipsch heritage speakers in your shop for any length of time if you don't want them to be havens for mice, dirt daubers and other imagineable creatures in search of a home.20180713_093633.thumb.jpg.3978ae9ea97f3a2293b72b362161cd28.jpg:20180713_094045.thumb.jpg.f15fb403727bac19e476278afdeb2887.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, edzu1234 said:

Hello Fellow Klipsch Addicts,      I need to ask if anyone has experience REPAIRING AND FIXING RISERS??   I have two pairs of  Forte II and a pair of Quartets in black in need of riser repair.   The veneer is peeling, splintering, and chipping in a variety of places on the risers due to dryness of the wood surface and moving the speakers around.   I need someone who has expertise on repairing the risers.   What type of wood patch, putty, or plastic wood would be the best for the job.  Also, what kind of treatment or preservative that can I apply to the wood before I repaint them and have it retain a sense of sturdiness, stealth, and moisture so I will not run into this issue again.   Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Where you located?