Another road trip > Omaha

USNRET

Ouch, I've never been in an airplane that flew through a storm that bad! The worst was one stormy night in the Tonkin Gulf; the Admiral was aboard and we were the last to recover for the evening. We couldn't see the deck during our first few approaches and our preference was to bingo to Da Nang, but for some reason the Admiral wanted us to make a few more attempts. On one approach we finally saw the island after we were waved off, but we had to try again. Finally, on about the 5th attempt, we came in so low, under glideslope, that we saw the lights in the Jet Shop (below the deck), we climbed and caught the wire! The Flight Surgeon should have brought a stiff drink to the Ready Room for us that night!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Looks like the whole thing should go to the dumpster.  I wouldn't want to be its next test-pilot.

After de-militarization we are taking what is good and is possible with hand tools and a ladder in two weeks everything else sold as scrap. There is more than one would think in relays, switches, valves, pumps, light bulbs, hydraulic components, etc, etc. Everything saved adds to spare inventory and saves money.

Last time I did this was 17-18 years ago when the Navy EP-3 had mid-air with Chinese fighter. Taking that one out of Hianan was political; U.S. wanted that airframe back flying. 2-3 months dismantling and 1-2 years rebuilding. This one is about economics.

40 minutes ago, twk123 said:

How much wing damage like that can a plane take before it deforms enough to cause lift issues? I couldnt imagine being the pilot and praying the windshields dont give in. :o

During development the aircraft was pressurized and frozen chickens were cannoned into windscreens without failure. I have had several crack in flight but haven’t had one fail. A couple of inches thick, multiple layers and heated for flexibility. Yes, I have seen Snopes related but I watched the videos about 40 years ago.