Klipsch first timer advice?

DavidParis

Hello all,

Didn't see an intro page, so...54 year old "audiophool" here living in Europe for the last 28 years. Have owned or still own Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Jadis, Wadia, Audio Research, YBA, Musical Fidelity, Sonus faber, the list is embarrassing...My current dilemma is the following;

Listening room remodel (thanks to wifey) only leaves room for speakers somewhat close to wall and corners (1 to 1,5m from sides and 15 -25cm from front wall) so I'm to constrained now notably with the Sonus faber Cremona Ms (rear-ported bass reflex, so they need space). Plus, I think I want to relax and enjoy the music rather than rip my hair out constantly by tweaking, adjusting, changing,  modifying, DIYing just about everything possible (you know the ritual of audiophilia nervosa...). However, I do not tolerate less than high-end sound...

So...getting to my point, I was wondering if it would be heretical to consider the HIIIs driven by Jadis PP KT88s or Line Magnetic EL34s wired for UL in order to fix my room placement problem and just enjoy the music a bit more...

Room has no acoustic treatments other than furniture, curtains, throw rug, etc. and size is about 5m x 7m, open space behind listening sofa which is about 3,5m from speakers. Have noticed that the acoustic suspension HIIIs requiire some bass tweaking...I do have an excellent BK Electronics (acoustic suspension, down-firing Peerless) sub from the UK which is really quite discreet and musical. I do llke the idea of installing the HIIIs on quality stands.

Voilà my dilemma. Is this a feasable, plausible plan or am I heading straight to disappointment after the very fine Sonus fabers? Would highly appreciate your thoughts, observations and suggestions.

Kind regards from Paris, France.

David

Edited by DavidParis
typo

Hello!

I have some experience with HIII and Line Magnetic. First amp was LM216 with KT88. Not bad, but not the best combination in my room.

LM218 SET amp was a huge improvement. (845 tubes from Psvane, Gold Lion KT88 driver tubes, and NOS Mullard preamp tubes) Close to heaven for me. Warmer, colourful and fluid sounding. Huge soundstage. Just better in every way. Vocals are extremely realistic.

HIII just an inch from the wall and directly on the floor, to get the best bass response. I’ve tried them on stands - and closer to listening posistion - with no luck.

Still have both 218 and HIII, but for the moment replaced by Forte III and a integrated Burmester. Better bass response and very, very detailed sound with a beautiful midrange warmth.

Still, I miss that midrange and snappy bass from HIII and 218. It’s very addictive.

Good luck!

EDIT: Here's what Steve Huff has to say about Heresy III 

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-heresy-iii-speaker-review-im-floored-and-here-is-why/

Edited by hammershaug
Added URL

Hello Hammershaug,

Thanks for the response. Went back and read your pevious posts also. I think FIII is not an option due to space, only considering the HIIIs. I also think I can manage the bass with the sealed sub I have, it's just the overall definition, detail and mid-range presence that I don't want to lose compared to the Sonus fabers. I generally give the tube amps a rest in summer due to the heat and run transistors (restored Marantz 2220 and Musical Fidelity E100). The Jadis DPL-2 and DA-5 generally do a great job but do generate some heat. Perhaps I need to arrange a demo at my home because I detest making mistakes!

One more question for you; on the HIIIs, were you ever conscious of the horns "honking" or otherwise calling attention to themselves?

Thanks again for your advice.

David

If the Sonus Faber's have positioning limitations that don't work in your remodeled room then yes; go with the Heresy's. And definitely run an acoustic suspension subwoofer. I learned the hard way that Heresy's need a sub to compete with other full-range speakers, but the horn midrange and tweeter gives them a sound that is not "honky". The acoustic suspension woofer results in tight, musical bass and it's all in a relatively small package. Whether you put them on stands is up to you; I think the built in tilt/risers are just fine.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:55 AM, Peter P. said:

If the Sonus Faber's have positioning limitations that don't work in your remodeled room then yes; go with the Heresy's. And definitely run an acoustic suspension subwoofer. I learned the hard way that Heresy's need a sub to compete with other full-range speakers, but the horn midrange and tweeter gives them a sound that is not "honky". The acoustic suspension woofer results in tight, musical bass and it's all in a relatively small package. Whether you put them on stands is up to you; I think the built in tilt/risers are just fine.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice. Looking for a dealer to audition the speakers, but I have serious doubts they can get anywhere near SF sound quality. Perhaps I'm wrong, wll let the ears decide when possible.

Brgds.

• Moderators
On 7/11/2018 at 2:42 AM, DavidParis said:

Listening room remodel (thanks to wifey) only leaves room for speakers somewhat close to wall and corners (1 to 1,5m from sides and 15 -25cm from front wall

That does not sound to bad at all, unless it's a skinny room,  it could be much worse. Good luck