19 members have voted

1. 1. When I feel a sneeze coming, I...

• always repress the sneeze
    • always sneeze once
    • always sneeze twice
    • always sneeze 3 times
    • sneeze a random number of times which varies
    • other

When I feel a sneeze coming, I grab a tissue and then try to maximize my sneeze power, utilizing my opportunity to clear out my sinuses with a giant explosion.  Thanks for asking.

Weird topic.  Well done. 

I look forward to your upcoming poll on farts.  👍

• Haha 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

When I feel a sneeze coming, I grab a tissue and then try to maximize my sneeze power, utilizing my opportunity to clear out my sinuses with a giant explosion.  Thanks for asking.

Weird topic.  Well done.  👍

:o

Does everyone duck for cover if they see it happening ? :ph34r:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

always when I transition into bright sunlight.

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you have a sneeze stuck look straight up into a light.  Always works for me for some reason.

Same here. Something about walking out into the sun that makes me and my two sons sneeze. My wife is immune.

• Like 2

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-bright-light-cau/

Roberta A. Pagon, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington, explains.

Reflexive sneezing induced by light, and sunlight in particular, is estimated to occur in 18 to 35 percent of the population and is known as the photic sneeze reflex (PSR) or the ACHOO (autosomal dominant compulsive helio-ophthalmic outbursts of sneezing) syndrome. Its genetic nature has been known for at least the last 25 years; it is periodically discussed in the medical literature and lay press. Observations that emerging from dim light into sunlight or turning to face directly into the sun commonly triggers the reflex prompted early inquiries into the trait. The number of induced sneezes--which seems to be genetically mediated and can be predicted within a family--is constant from episode to episode and typically numbers two or three.

Some consequences of the PSR include danger to automobile drivers when emerging from dim light, such as a tunnel, into full sunlight, and disruption of outdoor group photos. More recently, reports in publications oriented to military medicine have noted the potential danger to pilots experiencing the PSR. In fact, studies conducted by the military revealed that the PSR is not mediated by specific wavelengths of light and thus cannot be mitigated by the use of filtering lenses; rather the investigators concluded that the PSR is induced by changes in light intensity. Others have not found flickering light to precipitate the PSR. Exactly how sunlight causes some people to sneeze remains unknown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, weziewoo said:

My personal record is 21 sneezes in a row, which happened two years ago with our lovely allergy season in Albuquerque.

My wife had that happen to her this spring with allergies, sometime for minutes, she said it wears you out when it happens.

10 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I tell her "God bless you"

That saying goes back to the time of the Plague because of how little was known about medicine back then a sneeze  was a sign of almost sure death. 

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Yep, but I know it's going to happen every single time. Wife is unaffected, but my daughters exhibit the same response.

It works for me , even just looking at a bright light when I feel i am about to sneeze.

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Always twice, always loud, and always when I transition into bright sunlight.

Ask my Doc why I sneezed twice long ago.  He said they thought it could be an initial sign of diabetes.  I thought he was nuts.  One of those things ya think of everytime it happens...  Diabetic?  Yup!

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The number of induced sneezes--which seems to be genetically mediated and can be predicted within a family--is constant from episode to episode and typically numbers two or three.

Good quote.  I have never seen anything like this before, but I have seen the same tendency in people.  I am a 2-sneezer.  I know others who are generally 3-sneezers.

And so...  why 2 vs. 3?  

I think people have some degree of muscular or neurological control over the convulsion process and subconsciously choose, or train themselves, to sneeze a specified number of times.