Tiny 1/4" dents in copper of speakers. Is this damage?

abigfish

I can purchase two RF7-11s for less than $750 each. They have small dents (maybe 30 @ 1/4"ea) on each woofer and the mid. The speakers seem to sound ok. There was some clipping when the amp was maxed out and I believe the amp was causing it. Has anyone seen this before? Would you expect it to effect the sound? I have two original RF-7s hooked up to a Rogue Audio Mag 2 Chronus tube type amp. I have a second Rogue and would like to replace the Martin Logans I have hooked to it with something more compatible. The Klipsch sound good but the damage worries me as I know nothing about speaker construction.

Edited by abigfish
change model #

28 minutes ago, abigfish said:

I wonder why they are selling for less than 1/2 price. Were the RF-7 11s a poor model?  I paid full price for my original RF-7s and have been very happy. 

Not  a poor model, just superseded by the RF-7 III, so the retail value of the II has dropped.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, abigfish said:

I wonder if the changes are worth twice the price. I don't suppose they do that often with Klipschorns.

If you do a search "rf-7 comparison" from the home page of the forum,  there are a bunch of threads comparing the two models (II v/s III)