Veneer application ?

joessportster

My cabinets are done, I am happy with the sound I cleaned up all the edges rounded over the front. They are raw (Sanded) 3/4 MDF While they look all right I want to put a nice finish on them. I have thought about some type art wife says Black and stencil some music notes around on them I am OK with that but I would LOVE to do a veneer. My only concern is I would not be good at piecing veneer together & would veneer make the bend over the rounded edges without splintering splitting etc...

Any thoughts ?  I will add a pic in a few

29 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Hope you can see only the fronts were rounded over

For what it's worth ... I would add 3/4 inch square pieces to the front edges ... fill in the gaps with ??? ... then veneer (all straight edges).  Also gives you an "inset" to add grilles - unless you are a "NO GRILLE" guy :)  (My wife has to have "covers.") :D 

Cheers, Emile

32 minutes ago, jason str said:

Rounded corners are very hard to get right, even with proper technique, vacuum press and experience its difficult. I would avoid the thought or send it out for veneering.

I was afraid of that. Looks like paint and some form of art / stenciling 

Black with flames running up the front and sides (Hot Rods)

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

Your pretty screwed, sorry..........a nice paint job ?

Yep I thought that, got a little to ambitious with the router, I am now looking at images to see if I can come up with some type 2 tone / medium design veneer on front paint sides / tops, That or just paint with a design on that I also thought about  wrapping the front sides with a mural type wall paper :)

I painted a few cars years ago, a few bikes as well, high end homes entrance doors etc... never tried wood though and any oil will screw that type paint up straight away. Painting outdoors seems to attract every bug in the area and they cant help but land in the paint

• Moderators
2 hours ago, joessportster said:

Yep I thought that, got a little to ambitious with the router, I am now looking at images to see if I can come up with some type 2 tone / medium design veneer on front paint sides / tops

No routing for veneer, funny you say that after looking at the picture my first thought was paint the rounded edges but have veneer in appropriate size rectangles on each side. Kind of like a veneer framed by black or a dark color to accentuate the veneer. The only thing the veneer would have to be cut square to look good, or it would have to be pieces with irregular natural looking edges ?

Since you went crazy with the, router, go crazy with the paint.

speakers. (3).jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Schu said:

Lay up some carbon fiber...

Now that would look cool.

20 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

That paint job is so crazy I like it in an I don't want it in my living room, but I appreciate the creativity and effort kind of way 

That was for some show, maby South by Southwest or something like that, it is wild.