FS Chorus I in Ohio

Dave1290

Wow you have a good eye to find Ch1 in a generic CL ad!

Ch1's in good shape average $500, but what is the sub in picture 3/3?

Sorry to get off topic, but those woofers look like the same ones in my Chorus II. MyChorus I have very old grey looking woofers. Did they use different woofers in the later years of the Chorus line or are those Chorus II woofers in a Chorus I cabinet and are they interchangeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ported = 1's
sealed = 2's

I've been WRONG before, but nobody died because of it................

No that’s correct, I have both the 1s and the 2s but I was asking specifically about the woofer. It looks exactly like the woofer in my Chorus II. My Chorus I have a grey woofer as seen 6eb65cff5d5d7073eff5c1c2f2a12132.jpgin this photo

• Like 1

Think they were both a K-48-E but....!?!

Maybe mine is just faded a lot which is a shame bc I wish it were dark like in the ad or on my Chorus II. It’s one of the reasons I’ve been too lazy in restoring the finish by stripping the veneer and new black paint on the front motorboard and horns and hardware. The grey woofer throws off the look

• Like 1

I hear you, I would do something light like a mineral oil to lightly bring it in but, yes some fading with age and or sunlight may be it. Research from other opinions here. How do they stack up against the 2's in your opinion soundwise?

• Like 1

I hear you, I would do something light like a mineral oil to lightly bring it in but, yes some fading with age and or sunlight may be it. Research from other opinionds here. How do they stack up against the 2's?

I’ve read some people mention fabric spray paint which is light enough to not alter the weight but I’d be too scared to try it and I’m not sure if that was only for the passive radiators or works on all woofer cones.

The 2s are precious to me. I kept them over 2 pairs of la scalas, but size was a factor(and the k400 at loud volumes hurt my ears).

Overall the larger tractrix mid horn is much smoother and airy and the passive radiator with 2.5oz added really digs deep. Right now I’ve got titanium diaphragms for the tweeter and mids. After a long time of reading negative reviews of the Ti mid diaphragm and initially being too loud, they’ve broken in and smoothed out and I’m really enjoying the crystal clear sound. Still though, it’s very unforgiving to bad recordings and a lot of music can just sound bad with Ti diaphragms. The phenolics lacked this kind of detail but had a warmth I kind of miss. Felt more emotionally involved with the phenolics and too clinical with the Ti diaphragms if that makes sense.

The Chorus I right now have only been used for movie/tv duty. With what little music I’ve listened on them, they actually sound a lot better than I expected. I owned Forte Is before and thought the exponential horn was too forward and a bit harsh compared to the larger tractrix Chorus II horn- got rid of them pretty quick but these Chorus I came up for a good deal and they sound sweet in a large room. I’ve been playing with position-deep in corner, out and toed in or out and facing forward with no toe in- I think I like no toe in best for soundstage and not having that exponential horn directly firing at your ears which could be harsh. The bass is there but you don’t feel it in your chest like with the Chorus II but it’s a very large open living room so I think even the Chorus II would need a sub in such a room. Apparently you can add 7” tube ports to dig as deep as the Chorus II but i haven’t gotten to it yet. I can imagine with the tube port mod and refreshed caps, the Chorus I can get close to the IIs but the larger horn always wins. Might ultimately put the Ti mids into the Chorus I for movies and get new Crites phenolics for my Chorus II for music. I wonder how close the Chorus I modded with Ti diaphragms and new caps and tube port mod can sound compared to the Cornwall III? I’ve read many reviews where the Chorus line had more similarities to the Cornwall line than dissimilarities so using the Cornwall IIIs own Ti diaphragms might bring it pretty close?

• Like 2

From my limited understanding, a passive is basically the same as the material used for regular woofers. Probably works for polyurethane as well.

May be a better choice the paint you mention. Now I will read your entire post. Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

I’ve read some people mention fabric spray paint which is light enough to not alter the weight but I’d be too scared to try it and I’m not sure if that was only for the passive radiators or works on all woofer cones.
The 2s are precious to me. I kept them over 2 pairs of la scalas, but size was a factor(and the k400 at loud volumes hurt my ears).
Overall the larger tractrix mid horn is much smoother and airy and the passive radiator with 2.5oz added really digs deep. Right now I’ve got titanium diaphragms for the tweeter and mids. After a long time of reading negative reviews of the Ti mid diaphragm and initially being too loud, they’ve broken in and smoothed out and I’m really enjoying the crystal clear sound. Still though, it’s very unforgiving to bad recordings and a lot of music can just sound bad with Ti diaphragms. The phenolics lacked this kind of detail but had a warmth I kind of miss. Felt more emotionally involved with the phenolics and too clinical with the Ti diaphragms if that makes sense.

The Chorus I right now have only been used for movie/tv duty. With what little music I’ve listened on them, they actually sound a lot better than I expected. I owned Forte Is before and thought the exponential horn was too forward and a bit harsh compared to the larger tractrix Chorus II horn- got rid of them pretty quick but these Chorus I came up for a good deal and they sound sweet in a large room. I’ve been playing with position-deep in corner, out and toed in or out and facing forward with no toe in- I think I like no toe in best for soundstage and not having that exponential horn directly firing at your ears which could be harsh. The bass is there but you don’t feel it in your chest like with the Chorus II but it’s a very large open living room so I think even the Chorus II would need a sub in such a room. Apparently you can add 7” tube ports to dig as deep as the Chorus II but i haven’t gotten to it yet. I can imagine with the tube port mod and refreshed caps, the Chorus I can get close to the IIs but the larger horn always wins. Might ultimately put the Ti mids into the Chorus I for movies and get new Crites phenolics for my Chorus II for music. I wonder how close the Chorus I modded with Ti diaphragms and new caps and tube port mod can sound compared to the Cornwall III? I’ve read many reviews where the Chorus line had more similarities to the Cornwall line than dissimilarities so using the Cornwall IIIs own Ti diaphragms might be bring it pretty close?

Your thinking and mostly my experience goes along with yours. I would put the Chorus 1 in place of the 2's just for fun and, experience. The Chorus ! I had until recently satisfied my, in the chest bass needs. After recapping, the ones were even better. It would be a recap first and listen for abit as the Ti for tweet or mid can and do mellow or come into it after awhile. Same with new caps, having a burnin time to settle in. Will say more but thinking you are spot on. There is nothing shabby about the ones and, I am thinking you would appreciate the detail of the Tractrix more in a HT environment. What do you think.? You need to test drive those 1's at volume, in my limited but dedicated opine...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Maybe mine is just faded a lot which is a shame bc I wish it were dark like in the ad or on my Chorus II. It’s one of the reasons I’ve been too lazy in restoring the finish by stripping the veneer and new black paint on the front motorboard and horns and hardware. The grey woofer throws off the look

Those look about the same shade as my oiled oak Chorus had. Never thought too much about it. Another thing is having all black, the gray tint/color could stick out more. 

On the LaScala, they are abit more sensitive and mine were lovely midrange to listen to. Will continue to read but, you may have to rethink and look more into the LaScala. It opened my ears for me, on a different level.

• Like 2

Your thinking and mostly my experience goes along with yours. I would put the Chorus 1 in place of the 2's just for fun and, experience. The Chorus ! I had until recently satisfied my, in the chest bass needs. After recapping, the ones were even better. It would be a recap first and listen for abit as the Ti for tweet or mid can and do mellow or come into it after awhile. Same with new caps, having a burnin time to settle in. Will say more but thinking you are spot on. There is nothing shabby about the ones and, I am thinking you would appreciate the detail of the Tractrix more in a HT environment. What do you think.? You need to test drive those 1's at volume, in my limited but dedicated opine...

Definitely have planned to swap to give it some demoing! Hopefully I have time this weekend! These things are fun to do!

• Like 1

Think so and look at my last post about the LaScala edit...

I did regret selling both and have been craving a pair again. I love the K43 pro woofer. Had a very beefy lower midrange. My issue might not have been the k400 but the alk crossovers. Maybe A or AAs with high quality caps for the mids would help. Though I did read others having the issue with the k400 and its bottleneck type of build. I remember DeanG saying the A55G solved that issue with the K400. I think he later said new diaphragms in the K55 brought them to the same level of the A55G which would make things a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

DeanG would be an opinion to guide you . He has done nearfield listening with them. Thing is, mine had the AL crossover that had not been recapped yet still sounded nice to me. Thinking mine had the K-33 woofer. I was satisfied with the bass, yet others add a sub for lower bass support. Satisfied all the way around I was. My next pair per forum member(s) would be to have the K-43 woofer. BTW, recapping the Chorus per DeanG does not improve the bass. The perception I had with the Clarity caps I got from him is that by improving the mid and tweet, my ears could more readily define the bass, if makes any sense. Having a speaker with fresh caps/ read in spec. varies from one ear to another per their taste. Yes, I see LaScala's again in your future, even Pro LS.

• Like 1

BTW, recapping the Chorus per DeanG does not improve the bass. The perception I had with the Clarity caps I got from him is that by improving the mid tweet, my ears could more readily define the bass, if makes any sense. Having a speaker with frsh caps/ read in spec. varies from one ear to another per there taste. Yes, I see LaScala's again in your future, even Pro LS.

So Crites Chorus crossover would be same result for the bass? I certainly can’t afford some massive north creek 8awg air core inductors. Perhaps that’s what really helps bass. So most important thing really is just high quality caps for the mids and second most important thing is caps for the tweeters?

• Like 1

DeanG is the MAN!  He helped me tons w/the rebuild of my 81 LS.  Went with a good pair of his modded networks and a few other lil thingys..  New tube amp this week and they sound absolutely wonderful.  Jaw dropping now!  I'm a happy boy!   😎

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Wow you have a good eye to find Ch1 in a generic CL ad!

Ch1's in good shape average $500, but what is the sub in picture 3/3?

Had I bought them I'd have put a lil red bow on it just for you this Xmas!  lolol  Not gonna make my floor drop out from under me feet soooo...   l don't do sub's at all.  They just get in the way of what you want to hear imo.

Had I bought them I'd have put a lil red bow on it just for you this Xmas!  lolol  Not gonna make my floor drop out from under me feet soooo...   l don't do sub's at all.  They just get in the way of what you want to hear imo.

What about that gigantic Klipsch pro horn loaded sub for the la scalas? Seems like a match made in heaven.

• Like 1