FS Chorus I in Ohio

Dave1290

47 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

So Crites Chorus crossover would be same result for the bass? I certainly can’t afford some massive north creek 8awg air core inductors. Perhaps that’s what really helps bass. So most important thing really is just high quality caps for the mids and second most important thing is caps for the tweeters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically speaking, the same brand of caps are used to recap x-oversEDIT(for the high and mid)The value of the caps are meant to be exacting as to replication of the replacements. Although this is not sacred, it is typical. Those here and suppose elsewhere like to experiment from experience so, they could mix and match brands, and even values to some extent, as to what they are trying to accomplish. Whether or not Mr. Crites would agree about the caps improving the bass or not, I would say both he and Dean would basically be in agreement. Air core inductors of a more than usual inductor, read size, quality, are of course more costly and may well improve the bass response. Whether or not it is an improvement, I do believe it can be measured, and felt, heard. It just seems that in regards to physics, size may well matter. Discernment to the ear however may be more subtle. Others can make a more consise answer to that. There is and remains an ongoing discussion as to regular good quality caps versus, their more exotic counterparts. Once again, I leave it to others to debate that question. There are vast conversations in the search archive about that here, of course.  So, tweets and mids generally speaking have the same type or brand to refresh or some say, upgrade. The question is, are you doing it, or the people like those spoken of here do the task. All in my very limited opinion versus the vast knowlwdge of others.

EDITED

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

What about that gigantic Klipsch pro horn loaded sub for the la scalas? Seems like a match made in heaven.

Sucks to be a broke old dude w/a kid going to law school...  lol  Guess I'm old school enough though and figure if PWK would have wanted more bass in the LS he would have accomodated us in the design.  

• Like 1

Typically speaking, the same brand of caps are used to recap x-overs. So, tweets and mids generally speaking have the same type or brand to refresh or some say, upgrade. The question is, are you doing it, or the people like those spoken of here do the task. All in my very limited opinion versus the vast knowlwdge of others.

I usually see through deans work for people that he uses different brand caps for mids or tweeter mostly due to most people wanting cheaper brands for the tweeters and more expensive for the mids. I don’t know if for me it would be important to have the same brand. I know my ear isn’t that critical enough to hear it. Not sure if I’d even hear the difference between Crites sonicaps or some other higher cost/reputable cap. I know I heard Deans crossovers in khorns and La scalas versus my stock la scalas and I was blown away by the difference. It was like a veil was removed. Like the singer had a hand over their mouth with the stock and with deans, that hand was removed from the mouth and everything was so clear and you could place every instrument. I was extremely impressed...but then I got alk clones with cheaper Dayton audio and audyn caps and I wasn’t so impressed compared to that same stock al-3 which I know is typically viewed as the worst crossover Klipsch ever made

• Like 2

Sucks to be a broke old dude w/a kid going to law school...  lol  Guess I'm old school enough though and figure if PWK would have wanted more bass in the LS he would have accomodated us in the design.  

Well it, like the belle and Cornwall and heresy were made to serve as center speakers between two far spread out Khorns to fill in the middle or whatever audiophile speak you use to explain that

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

The history of the LaScala is another very interesting conversation that can be had here. To be short, it was a purpose built PA speaker in original and following model rom the original, with some variance in the preo version(s). Apparently it served it's purpose well and remains what it is and was, either a very good PA speaker and one pressed willingly into service as a musical reproduction speaker. Physics as it turns out from my research of the bass, remain a function of size as to it's lowest frequency range or bass response. Once again, I defer to others for elaboration.

• Like 2

Agreed, have my eye on a pair of Khorns but I'm soooo tight for space here now.  Have a few ideas on how to create a bit more space but it's gonna take a bit of time to accomplish the mission.  40' of vinyl that's NOT moving again!  I think it'll work out though.  Might be tight but it'll work I'm thunkin...  10# in a 5# bag!  lol

• Like 2

The history of the LaScala is another very interesting conversation that can be had here. To be short, it was a purpose built PA speaker in original and following model rom the original, with some variance in the preo version(s). Apparently it served it's purpose well and remains what it is and was, either a very good PA speaker and one pressed willingly into service as a musical reproduction speaker. Physics as it turns out from my research of the bass, remain a function of size as to it's lowest frequency rang or bass response. Once again, I defer to others for elaboration.

Never heard of them being built as PA speakers. Always thought it was just a center for KHorns

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, to lighten for a minute, is  not it fun . It is very interesting subject matter. To feed the kids or not to.

I can tell from your posts here tonight, you have read and take varying opinions seriously. Part of that may just well come down to taste what our aural cavities impart to the pleasure center of the brain.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Never heard of them being built as PA speakers. Always thought it was just a center for KHorns

That was their original design yet they were also clean when linked to music.  At least they were to me back in the 60's.  They were pricey then yet sounded great.  Who knows.  

• Like 2

Music has been my first and only true love!  Just like so many other people!  The group here on the forum all have one thing in common...  A love of music!  The BS and friendships made are nice too!  Life's simple and I like to keep it that way...

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, to lighten for a minute, is  not it fun . It is very interesting subject matter. To feed the kids or not to.

I can tell from your posts here tonight, you have read and take varying opinions seriously. Part of that may just well come down to taste what our aural cavities impart to the pleasure center of the brain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

l don't do sub's at all.  They just get in the way of what you want to hear imo.

Being a jazz guy I used to think that way too, I thought I got plenty of LF sound from my speakers. 

Every since I went to a modern AVR in 2014 and hanging around you guys I've come around to the point I now think every system could benefit from a sub.  I still don't think a sub is needed, maybe not even desired for ordinary TV watching, but for everything else I think it adds that lowest octave so it is not just heard but felt, like is would sound if you were listening to a grand piano, or a tuba.

I'm an old dog, but learning new tricks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Being a jazz guy I used to think that way too, I thought I got plenty of LF sound from my speakers. 

Every since I went to a modern AVR in 2014 and hanging around you guys I've come around to the point I now think every system could benefit from a sub.  I still don't think a sub is needed, maybe not even desired for ordinary TV watching, but for everything else I think it adds that lowest octave so it is not just heard but felt, like is would sound if you were listening to a grand piano, or a tuba.

I'm an old dog, but learning new tricks. 

I totally agree with you and I DO enjoy jazz very much also.  Sooo many great artists out there in our lifetimes and we, for the most part, cherish what they've given to us.  Tuba, grand pianos are nice to "hear" but...  TV watching, home theater?  Nah, I don't sit still long enough and popcorn is work!  lol  Old dogs learning new tricks are always impressive and maybe in time I'll learn some...  Maybe.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In other words, a 3 way speaker being in spec, having all in balance doing their job, tends to give me a more balanced sound thereby having a clear and succinct message from the bass dept. The bass may then appear more enhanced when really, it was always there. Forte 1...according to a review by

others is a hard speaker to ignore.

• Like 1

In other words, a 3 way speaker being in spec, having all in balance doing their job, tends to give me a more balanced sound thereby having a clear and succinct message from the bass dept. The bass may then appear more enhanced when really, it was always there. Forte 1...according to a review by

others is a hard speaker to ignore.

I got mine based on set12 on another audio forum talking them up big but he uses very premium parts for his crossovers. Forte II is the one that measures best and is talked up as the most balanced but I heard Chorus II next to them and I fell in love and came home with Chorus IIs. I’d imagine any heritage and extending heritage Klipsch sounds amazing with $1500+ worth of premium crossover parts will sound amazing.

• Like 2

Speaking of Jazz. I love Diana Krall type of Jazz, but can't get into Miles Davis type of Jazz. Any Jazz recommendations I could be into?  Jazz seems to be a genre with tons of high quality recordings/SACD's i'd love to try out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maximus89 said:

I got mine based on set12 on another audio forum talking them up big but he uses very premium parts for his crossovers. Forte II is the one that measures best and is talked up as the most balanced but I heard Chorus II next to them and I fell in love and came home with Chorus IIs

Think I read his stuff before. One guy has an external crossover that is able to quickly swap out different caps, resistors, etc. He has a crew of listeners over for a listen and to criticize each variance.

Owned the 1's for awhile and had a pair of 2's briefly here. Must say the 2's blew me away, just as I thought they would. Was referring to an old Stereophile review when I was referring to the 1's. Article written by the two state, they were very reluctant to return the forte' back to Klipsch.

It is in the archive here still somewhere, maybe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Speaking of Jazz. I love Diana Krall type of Jazz, but can't get into Miles Davis type of Jazz. Any Jazz recommendations I could be into?  Jazz seems to be a genre with tons of high quality recordings/SACD's i'd love to try out.

Try Bill Evans for one. He has a tendency to bringout the vintage side of you. Very good in my and other's here taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1