La Scala Split wiring

Brac

A good long time ago I picked up a set of split Industrials, and I am finally getting back to them. Looking at the back plate, I'm not 100% sure what wires go where.

Hoping someone has a diagram.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Brac said:

That should help, Thanks.   Are those parts available, mine aren't the cleanest I've ever seen.

Which parts?  The caps are available.   Those were a couple pair I cleaned up and rebuilt for my brother and son in law.

13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Which parts?  The caps are available.   Those were a couple pair I cleaned up and rebuilt for my brother and son in law.

The connection parts that go through the backplate.  

Those look much bigger than mine,  I guess the networks go inside the HFsection only on the Industrials?

You could wire around the fuse holders if you don't listen at amp clipping levels and the speaker connectors can probably be found at parts express.  They look like what I just used when I added 5 way binding posts to my KP2500s.

• Like 1

So, just got back into messing with these, and I'm at a total loss.  The pics of the split cups CECAA850 posted have 2 pairs of wires coming off the cup/backplate. These that I have (could certainly be messed up) have 4 pairs of wires coming off.  Anyone have a full schematic for LS splits?  

A couple other things I've noticed which may be a clue. The networks I have are "AA" there is no "s" stamp so could the extra wires be solving something? 

In this pic, I was trying to place wires where they go,  and things are obviously not right.  I feel like the tweet and squak should attach direct to the XO, which would then leave bass and input from the cup. 

IMG_1425.JPG

I've reworked several sets of split LSI and recall it being somewhat complicated. Not only getting inside the box, as the order of disassembly is a bit tricky at first, but that network and wiring. I did a couple messed up at one time as I recall. Take your time and approach it with a clear head is my best advice. I got new fuse holders and 5-way posts from Parts Express and rebuilt them to identical to factory. Never seen any speaker manufacturer than Klipsch rely on fuses for speaker protection but feel strongly about keeping things original as I never used mine for pro live sound, just back yard stuff like most of us. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brac said:

So, just got back into messing with these, and I'm at a total loss.  The pics of the split cups CECAA850 posted have 2 pairs of wires coming off the cup/backplate. These that I have (could certainly be messed up) have 4 pairs of wires coming off.  Anyone have a full schematic for LS splits?  

A couple other things I've noticed which may be a clue. The networks I have are "AA" there is no "s" stamp so could the extra wires be solving something? 

In this pic, I was trying to place wires where they go,  and things are obviously not right.  I feel like the tweet and squak should attach direct to the XO, which would then leave bass and input from the cup. 

IMG_1425.JPG

I don't think so, because both networks would have an output to Woofer, only on the splits you send it back to the second set of 5-way posts instead of directly to the woofer itself.  Where it gets tricky is the separate fuse for the woofer section. Follow the signal path grasshopper. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, colterphoto1 said:

I don't think so, because both networks would have an output to Woofer, only on the splits you send it back to the second set of 5-way posts instead of directly to the woofer itself.  Where it gets tricky is the separate fuse for the woofer section. Follow the signal path grasshopper. 

So now that I have working parts on the bench, I gotta ask.  I used a single 1/4 mono to drive one speaker, but it has 2 1/4" mono inputs that are parallel.  when would you want to parallel

your inputs?

5 hours ago, Brac said:

So now that I have working parts on the bench, I gotta ask.  I used a single 1/4 mono to drive one speaker, but it has 2 1/4" mono inputs that are parallel.  when would you want to parallel

your inputs?

If you bi-amped.  You'd cut the jumper wire on the back of the terminal when you did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brac said:

your inputs?

Used for jumpering to another speaker generally. Lots of guys changed the input connector type because the dual banana, although a great deal of contact surface area, is the most brittle, breakable connector for pro use. Others I've seen are XLR, Cannon, but the most modern of all to utilize ( and I've changed most of my pro stuff to this) is the Neutrik NL4 or Speakon connector.