The Sixes - Internal Preamp Quality

strorg

I have to say that I'm initially disappointed with the sound I'm getting from The Sixes using my new U-turn Audio Orbit turntable. I ordered the turntable without a preamp planning to take advantage of the internal preamp in The Sixes. I've read some reviews, including this one that suggesting that the preamp in The Sixes is not that great. Has anybody on this forum come to  a similar conclusion?

Thanks...Tom

I can't give you much of an answer... but...

What cart did you get with the Orbit? I got an Ortifon Red, and it took a few hours on my Technics sl-1200mkII before sounding decent. I use an inexpensive audio-technica phono preamp into tube gear.

I will assume some hours on your system...

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I have the Ortofon Red as well. I've only put a 2-3 hours on the TT.

I posted this question on an Orbit users group and got several responses saying the Klipsch preamp in The Sixes leaves much to be desired. I'm looking at a Schiit preamp. I'll post results once I can compare the Schiit to the Klipsch.

My experience with the phono preamp in The Sixes was disappointing.  My Millenial vegan son loves his The Sixes, but he doesn’t play vinyl.

I recommended The Sixes to an old girlfriend and her partner.  He made the mistake of plugging an Audio-Technica TT with RIAA built in straight into the phono inputs of The Sixes, which again applied RIAA equalization.  As you can imagine, the results were disastrous.  Plugging the TT into the  aux input was fine.  The A-T phono section is better sounding than The Sixes’.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the external Pluto preamp from Orbit and just hooked it up. I blows the Klipsch internal preamp out of the water but i'm still underwhelmed. I have a Schiit Mani on backorder but won't have it until late august.

I'n not knocking Klipsch for what they've done with The Sixes - for the casual or entry-level music lover, it's a great way to get your feet wet and be able to play music from many sources.

Edited by strorg

• 2 months later...

Finally got the Schiit Mani and I highly recommend. Even with no gain, the difference between the Mani and the Pluto is significant. I've bumped the gain up to the lowest of the three gain settings. I'll save the Pluto pre-amp for my daughter.

I guess you found out by now that good phono preamp is essential if you want to play LPs.

I was in a similar situation when starting this route. My Onkyo TX8050 has built in phono preamp, but I suppose that was the weakest link in that receiver.  After plugin in a solid phono preamp things change considerably for the better.

• 2 years later...

For what its worth,I've had my sixes for a year or two and my fluance rt85 turntable for a year now. The fluance came with an acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2m blue cart. I know people bash the sixes internal phono preamp but honestly my vinyl sounds amazing, everyone that has heard this setup has complimented the sound. I do know the speakers need to be far apart to get a decent Soundstage and mine are sitting on top of my klipsch tower speakers which is technically too high but doesn't seem to hurt the sound. Adjust the bass by moving farther or closer to the wall and toe in just a bit. Someday I will go for a big setup but as good as this setup sounds I'm in no rush.