Is Atmos here to stay / worth it?

tigerwoodKhorns

I am using an older receiver to drive seven channels.  I am running wire right now and have four extra in ceiling speakers that I can install. 

Is Atmos here to stay or will it be obsolete in a few years like 3D? 

I guess that I will prewire with four old  work J Boxes, or I can install the speakers, but if Atmos is like 3d, I'd rather not waste the speakers. 

It may not be atmos persay as we go into the future but certainly moving sound is never going away and in fact continues to accelerate with development.

To create the modern immersive sound environments you need more placements of drivers and more processing.

I don't know what the future holds for surround systems and I don't know who does.  Two things are true:  the AVR manufacturers consider it vital to include Atmos processing in everything not low end, and you don't want to ask me.

I'm the guy who went all-in for Betamax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Montego said:
6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

So you're the other one.

You fool!  :lol:

Back in the early 80's I got a really nice portable Betamax recorder and camera outfit for $1500, back when that was a lot of money.  A few years later I couldn't get fifty bucks for it in a yard sale.  I finally sold it in that yard sale for $35.  :(

So, did I ever tell about the nice Zenith STEREO VHS I got to replace it?  Only $800 when all the other VHS players sold for $300?

What's that you say?  You never heard of "stereo" VHS?  That's because I "future proofed" my purchase by buying the new stereo standard about to be released.  I was waaay ahead of my time!  :)

So far ahead in fact, stereo never happened in VHS.  No commercial movies or tapes were ever produced in stereo, at least not in the proprietary Zenith format. 

I don't think anyone wants my opinion on 'Atmos.'  If I like it, it's bound to be the death knell for that format. ☠️☠️ ☠️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We do not watch many movies at all.  I am using a receiver from 2000, a Denon AVR5800 via an optical out from my TV.  I really like the receiver and it has very stout amps. 

I doubt that I will "upgrade" my receiver, and if at all, no time soon.  I have six extra Klipsch in ceiling speakers.  I want to use two in the master bath so that leaves four.  I'll probably put those in my dining room and just run 16 ga wires to four ceiling locations in old work J boxes. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

We do not watch many movies at all.  I am using a receiver from 2000, a Denon AVR5800 via an optical out from my TV.  I really like the receiver and it has very stout amps. 

I doubt that I will "upgrade" my receiver, and if at all, no time soon.  I have six extra Klipsch in ceiling speakers. 

Almost exactly the same here except the receiver is from 2006 or so, Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS and I agree about the amps. Also I feel like the music part is better than many of the new receivers, Or I just like the way this one sounds?

I just can't see a new receiver with as little movies as we watch and to get one that don't sound as good.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, wvu80 said:

You fool!  

I've been a fool but a bigger fool I can't remember when I've been... MTB

I invested heavily in beta hifi and then vhs hifi after beta lost the marketing battle.  Still have the machines but I doubt any of them work.  Since I never learn I then jumped head first into laser discs.

Just to tie this in to the intended discussion of this thread I'm not interested in Atmos or any other inevitably obsolete format.  

but who cares what I think 😴

My apologies!  I'm old and cynical.  Everyone should enjoy this hobby without unnecessary negative comments like this...

Edited by Montego

I have the wire, any probably two or three J Boxes, and maybe a few covers.  So if I call pull off a pre-wire for under $5 is guess it is worth it for another useless technology designed to make the end user replace everything every few years. 

Quote:

Planned Obsolescence is the deliberate shortening of product life spans to guarantee consumer demand.

The article that refuses to wear out is a tragedy of business - and a tragedy for the modern growth society which relies on an ever-accelerating cycle of production, consumption and throwing away.

OK; about a year ago I "updated" ... Haha ... my stereo system with a cassette player, a LaserDisc, a DAT player and a couple of reel to reels :D  

But ... did not add a Betamax (or VHS) player :D Just too advanced for me :) 

Have been looking for a nice console stereo for a week now :D but have not found one with Atmos :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Very few places to rent a disc anymore, they want to push it through a wire to you, sorry but it does not sound the same. 

Could have been worse, you could have bought one of these as to not wear out your VCR......... Vintage Kinyo VHS Tape Rewinder / Fast Forward Unit Machine Works Great! UV-512

Proof you can buy anything on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kinyo-VHS-Tape-Rewinder-Fast-Forward-Unit-Machine-Works-Great-UV-512/263791302714?hash=item3d6b2fd83a%3Ag%3A31AAAOSwdA5bOc5S&_nkw=vhs+rewinder+machine&rt=nc

• Haha 1

Probably here to stay and whether or not it is necessary is debatable given the placement of your other speakers.  Yamaha has included extra front presence speakers on their higher end receivers for many years.   Not quite the same as Atmos, but still an effort to build a larger/taller soundstage. 

I've yet to hear/watch anything in Atmos, so here's my valid opinion. I like the concept, but I think it's going to cater to a smaller crowd than 3d. Having an atmos system seems to require so much more (amp, properly placed speakers,  soundtracks, a room sufficient for the sound). I think thats more than most people will want to invest in it.

Without tearing out all of my drywall, I'd be limited to bouncing the sound off of the ceiling. The application just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me...for now.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:02 AM, wvu80 said:

Hey.....I had a Betamax....so that makes 3 of us....

I have all the capabilities to do Atmos......just never brought myself to cut holes in my ceiling......So I continue to run 7.1

George

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldred said:

I have all the capabilities to do Atmos......just never brought myself to cut holes in my ceiling......So I continue to run 7.1

I'm with you.

I have an Marantz SR6011 AVR that is above my capabilities and it can run 5.2.4 if it wants.  I run it in either 5.1 or 3.1, I prefer 3.1 because sound coming out beside or behind me freaks me out.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Schu said:

It may not be atmos persay as we go into the future but certainly moving sound is never going away and in fact continues to accelerate with development.

To create the modern immersive sound environments you need more placements of drivers and more processing.

14 hours ago, haydukej said:

Having an atmos system seems to require so much more (amp, properly placed speakers,  soundtracks, a room sufficient for the sound). I think thats more than most people will want to invest in it.

I agree with both of the above statements. For Home Theater enthusiasts it goes back to footprint and placement options....It appears most people are going towards smaller speakers regardless if they do Atmos. Otoh, when AVRs crap out I imagine most consider upgrading/modernizing  their System as well. I am extremely satisfied with the 2 Klipsch Home Theaters we use on a regular basis but as soon as the AV R in my sig below bites the dust I will be looking for an Atmos AVR. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Is Atmos here to stay or will it be obsolete in a few years like 3D? 

It won't be obsolete because it's used in the industry as a new standard. 3D movies were going to be a niche market because of the additional glass purchases and available content. That's my 2 cents.