Making my Sansui AU9500 smart for cheap.

Fish

I just wanted to post in the event this has not been noted. I've had a au9500 I wanted to incorporate into my listening room but the no remote thing made it something I didn't do. I know there are other ways but for me a simple 2 minute way was to hook a Chrome audio player to it and send FLAC files from my server, or any source on my screen. I control everything from my phone or tablet so its giving the old Sansui a chance to be smart instead of just pretty, for $25. My set looks just like this but my pics exede the 2 mb so this was easier. Again just wanted to post fyi for those looking for easy and cheap without searching alot.

$_1.JPG

I assume you are using a Chromecast Audio with the analog output connected to your integrated amp, right?

If the above is true, you might consider an outboard DAC for improved sound quality, as the 1/8" output doubles as a mini optical output.

When using the analog output, make sure "Full Dynamic Range" is on in the device settings.

You probably know the two points above, so just throwing them out there...

BTW, what mobile app do you use for FLAC selection, and what server software do you use?

In a secondary system, I have been playing with the free version of the Hi-Fi Cast app for Android and Minimserver on my PC.  However, I have to make Minimserver transcode  FLAC to WAV for it to work (which is no big deal, other than using a bit more network bandwidth).  

In the main system, I use a Sonos Connect.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, adam2434 said:

I assume you are using a Chromecast Audio with the analog output connected to your integrated amp, right?

If the above is true, you might consider an outboard DAC for improved sound quality, as the 1/8" output doubles as a mini optical output.

So true.  Sounds pretty good for it's price point with built in DAC but my Cambridge Audio 840C DAC really does improve the resolution and soundstage.  Not night and day but still an improvement.

Bill

On 7/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, adam2434 said:

When using the analog output, make sure "Full Dynamic Range" is on in the device settings.

You probably know the two points above, so just throwing them out there...

BTW, what mobile app do you use for FLAC selection, and what server software do you use?

In a secondary system, I have been playing with the free version of the Hi-Fi Cast app for Android and Minimserver on my PC.  However, I have to make Minimserver transcode  FLAC to WAV for it to work (which is no big deal, other than using a bit more network bandwidth).  

In the main system, I use a Sonos Connect.

Yes analog, but considering dac, good idea. Yes to Full Dynamic Range. I have a seagate 3tb media that stores my flac and it has a basic app that works well.