KPT-904's ... sealed box for woofers?

Emile

OK; got a pair of KPT-904's and love them ... found another set on FleaBay ... just do not have enough room :( 

The bass bins (not sure ... KP-450's? ) of course are humongous.  But they are "ported," so if I build a closed box for them it would be much smaller (and might fit "somewhere").  Am I crazy or just stupid?  Haha ... appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, MAGRF7 said:

Maybe you should have just bought this instead

Yes; saw those :D  But .... really want the K510 horns ... bass bin is "big" (as you know ... think you have a pair) ... so trying to "reduce" the size of those and KEEP the horns :D 

• Like 1

huge yes i see your point. I have 3 all together im trying to find a hf setup for my third now that will act as my center. Although i did think about what you are doing though. I have to wait and see what my bass response is first. But ill be following this thread if you got ideas lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yes; saw those :D  But .... really want the K510 horns ... bass bin is "big" (as you know ... think you have a pair) ... so trying to "reduce" the size of those and KEEP the horns :D 

As long as you keep in mind the physics of a folded horn bass bin and the reduction of keeping the bass response low, if it is your ambition. Maybe wrong but, if not a folded horn then, I say go for it in any case, as the mother of invention /discover thingy. Guess you could always get a sub, lol...more power to you...;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

As long as you keep in mind the physics of a folded horn bass bin and the reduction of keeping the bass response low, if it is your ambition. Maybe wrong but, if not a folded horn then, I say go for it in any case, as the mother of invention /discover thingy. Guess you could always get a sub, lol...more power to you...;)

Thank you SIR ... Yes; know I would loose a little bit of bass ... rough guess 10 Hz ???  Got a sub, so no problem :D  But think it would please the wife :D 

• Thanks 1

Always thinking of others, cool. No I realized did not explain what I think I know hardly. Know Others will be giving you some data.if you even need.

Glad to having you going to places others have never been. Or, if having benefit of closely being there, at least you and lady will derive

benefit of your good work.

Keep cranking those tunes man.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Think the KPT-904 woofers (not sure of the type) probably were designed for a ported box ... making transfer to a closed box difficult ?????

You could use one woofer and reduce the box size and number of ports by approximately 1/2.

miketn

• Thanks 1

Just now, mikebse2a3 said:

You could use one woofer and reduce the box size and number of ports by approximately 1/2

Thank you SIR!  Interesting :D  How much smaller do you think I could make this box?  FYI; just offered the seller $500 for the horns :)  We'll see :D 

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Thank you SIR!  Interesting :D  How much smaller do you think I could make this box?  FYI; just offered the seller $500 for the horns :)  We'll see :D 

Cheers, Emile

I'm thinking about 1/2 the volume of the 2 driver design. Maybe look at the single 15" design in the cinema line like the .. KPT-335-B/M as an example.

https://www.klipsch.com/pro/cinema/behind-the-screen

miketn

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MAGRF7 said:

500 for the 510’s?

Offered the KPT-904 seller on eBay $500 "just" for the horns :D  He just declined my offer ... did not want to "break-down" the full speakers :(  

Still looking ...

11 minutes ago, Emile said:

Offered the KPT-904 seller on eBay $500 "just" for the horns :D  He just declined my offer ... did not want to "break-down" the full speakers :(  

Still looking ...

Ahhh well good luck on the search. That would havr been a great deal considering what they go for! Hard to come by separate. Lol im heading out shortly on a road trip to pick mine up.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MAGRF7 said:

Youve got the 406’s right? How do you like for two channel

Sorry; no clue what 406's are :(  I've got the KPT-904's ... think the bass box is a KP-450 (not sure) and the horns are the 510's.

Sound is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! :D  Bass is IMHO as good as LaScala's ... horns are much MUCH BETTER (think it is because of the 2 inch exit on a much bigger diaphragm). Using a pre-out from my AVR into a Marantz 222B for 2 channel sound.  These horns are just awesome ... the 402 horns "might" be better, but they are too big and do not pass the wife test :( 

Cheers, Emile

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

Sorry; no clue what 406's are :(  I've got the KPT-904's ... think the bass box is a KP-450 (not sure) and the horns are the 510's.

Sound is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! :D  Bass is IMHO as good as LaScala's ... horns are much MUCH BETTER (think it is because of the 2 inch exit on a much bigger diaphragm). Using a pre-out from my AVR into a Marantz 222B for 2 channel sound.  These horns are just awesome ... the 402 horns "might" be better, but they are too big and do not pass the wife test :( 

Cheers, Emile

Sorry i meant 510 lol. Thats really good to hear! Ive been with the RF7’s since they came out and never got into the pro line so this should be a treat! Mine will have the 506 horns if you remember those. Cant wait to audition!

cheers Marc