Store Bought Barbecue Sauce

Mallette

Sweet Baby Ray's is too sweet, I agree Dave, especially for a Texan's palette.  I find the Stubb's Spicy to be the closest thing to using straight from the bottle.  Basically you just have to find one or two that you like and then alter it yourself to give it the finishing touch.  That's been my experience.   

18 hours ago, Mallette said:

Have yet to find one that really works for me or reminds me of the best BBQ joints or home made. Usually buy Stubbs, but I rather doubt what is sold under his name now is what he made. 

Recommendations for when I don't want to go to the trouble of home made?

Dave

For the store bought variety, the wife and I both like "HEAD COUNTRY", even the reviews on Amazon are excellent.

My all time favorite is Franklin's BBQ Sauce, here a link to make your own.... 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, the bbq grill is all I can or care to do, and the good lord knows I have messed up my fair share of food trying to learn. As of lately, trying to get a good grip on grilling fish. Taking the my daughters to the gulf next week for a little open water fishing. We're out of snapper and down to one Ling fillet.

My wife is a dangerously good cook, gets it from both her mom and dad.

I've had several the Sweet Baby Ray's, I think they are all good.  Never had the Hawaiian, Maple, or Sweet Chipotle.  I have used their wing sauce and have had great success.  If I remember Blues Hog correctly, it was thick and good for brisket, which I liked.  Rendezvous was more vinegary like if I recall, but still good.  Believe it or not, I at times like Cookies. 

https://www.cookiesbbq.com/

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Which of the sauces is your favorite, and how is the rub?

Never used the rub, love the Spicy Golden Secret and Original Golden. I have tried the Southern Red and it's good but I'm a mustard based fan. One thing about all of them is it's not super sweet nor is it really thick. I use bbq sauce very sparingly so I really like their stuff. Their restaurants and family name are Charleston institutions in the bbq arena.